• 2 years later...

Just thought I'd find this thread and give it another life...

I was in Nanaimo today for a Day-Trip. With an insanely lucky coincidence, stopped by NTC to take some snapshots. I saw 8907 and 8914 sitting on opposite sides of the yard, with 600 and 601 also parked nearby. I had a little conversation about the transit with Darren (The Superintendant of Transit Operations), and he told me that the yard is undergoing an extension, with a new maintenance facility for Double Decker buses.

That's right! Nanaimo may be the next city in BC to recieve Double Decker bus operations!

I also compared transit rules and farebox types...

NRTSFarebox.png

As you can see, the Nanaimo fareboxes are quite primitive compared to Victoria's; and what's more - the transfers can only be used in one direction. (No stopovers are allowed, and no return trips with the same transfer ticket regardless of the validity time) Wierd, eh?

SidneyTransitFan

I also compared transit rules and farebox types...

NRTSFarebox.png

As you can see, the Nanaimo fareboxes are quite primitive compared to Victoria's; and what's more - the transfers can only be used in one direction. (No stopovers are allowed, and no return trips with the same transfer ticket regardless of the validity time) Wierd, eh?

I wouldn't say weird, that's the same rules translink had back in the 90's when transit in Vancouver used to be run by the government, and named BC Transit. Good old duncan farebox, I didn't know some places still had that sucker. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the style of tickets they use in Nanaimo would you?

-Bryan "Goggles"

Sorry, didn't think about that. Thought I would still have it now. Oh well, next time I guess... All I can describe about it is that it's red, and is ripped from the peg at the bottom (Transfer is upside-down when compared to Victoria)

Vague... is it the same style as what you would find in Vic and Whistler, or is it something totally different.

-Bryan "Goggles"

Several years ago, Victoria's Transfer system used to be the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a Nanaimo update, although a week late :P

Classics 8907 and 8914 are still kicking around, although they don't see service on a regular basis.

Victoria has sent up 8111 along with some other D40LF's.

The two Orion V's, 600 and 601, still still service and are running quite well!

600 Downtown running on route 3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/4463109779/

Route 44

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/4463887388/

601 also Downtown on route 44

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/4463110331/

Chris Cassidy

Not all cities make buses stop at railway crossings, Thunder Bay is one of them, I believe Ottawa is another.

Vancouver does, (or did) have a rule to stop at all R/R crossings, but they don't seem to enforce it as such. I believe the only crossing that ALL of the buses stop at is the one outside VTC (which hasn't seen a train in years).

Not all cities make buses stop at railway crossings, Thunder Bay is one of them, I believe Ottawa is another.

Correct and it's all depending upon the transit authority to make decision whatever or not to enforce the ruling.

In Calgary, within the city limits we do not stop for railroad crossings unless of course lights are flashing obviously. That also includes School Buses within the City limits as well.

I believe this is fairly common practice in most major cities in Canada. Feel free to correct me on that though.

Yep, it's only in smaller cities that they have to stop at all crossings controlled or not.

Chris Cassidy

8077 has now entered the fleet here in Nanaimo. I spotted it travelling south on the #1 to downtown this afternoon.

Well, that answers a question I and two other board members were mulling over for the past couple of days! At least that confirms that it did not meet the same fate as its sister ship from Prince George, 8076.

• 4 weeks later...

I would be prepared to speculate the bus you saw was 9289. 9288 was in service in Nanaimo on Monday afternoon and I did not see 9289 anywhere, either on the road or in the yard. I was also told that at some point in the recent past 9289 had its Nanaimo decals removed...

600 was in service both of the past two days, and 601 was sitting at the yard during PM peak.