CTrain - SD160 cars

I saw a new LRV being pulled into the pad just south of Heritage Station today (Saturday). It was actually kind of cool, because I was riding the LRT down to Heritage station and was watching the short CP consist bringing the LRV in blue tarp down from the yards from about 39th Ave. Station on. A nice little surprise. I am kicking myself for not having a camera handy.

This one should be 2246 or 2247, can anyone confirm?

I saw a new LRV being pulled into the pad just south of Heritage Station today (Saturday). It was actually kind of cool, because I was riding the LRT down to Heritage station and was watching the short CP consist bringing the LRV in blue tarp down from the yards from about 39th Ave. Station on. A nice little surprise. I am kicking myself for not having a camera handy.

Well, when I was finishing my run on the route 20 today around 1430, I noticed that same industrial train as well and alerted a friend to it and he headed out and got pics of it being dropped off at the "Pad".

Not too sure....

Well, when I was finishing my run on the route 20 today around 1430, I noticed that same industrial train as well and alerted a friend to it and he headed out and got pics of it being dropped off at the "Pad".

Not too sure....

Oh man, totally saw you. I was the last ticket you checked for the day. I think so anyway. The guy that replaced you was a guy with a buzz cut right? Me = glasses and a black polo shirt.

Oh man, totally saw you. I was the last ticket you checked for the day. I think so anyway. The guy that replaced you was a guy with a buzz cut right? Me = glasses and a black polo shirt.

REALLY!! LOL! I am on the 20 again tomorrow, but 30 minuters later starting and finishing! cRaZy!

Edit: Do you catch that bus every Saturday? It was bus 7686 that I had today! Very nice bus!

No, actually that was the first time I'd caught the 20 in about a year, but I used to catch it every day to go to Mount Royal College. Today, I was going to visit a family member at the Rockyview hospital (nothing too serious). If I had known it was you, we totally could have nerded it up and talked about buses and LRVs haha.

BTW, I commend you on your site. One can tell you put a lot of work into it.

Just a question to throw out there.

Since CT is switching the seats out to vinyl in the LRVs, is this going to be done on the SD's as well?

Or could they simply be ordered to come with vinyl seating instead of having to pay for the change at a later time?

REALLY!! LOL! I am on the 20 again tomorrow, but 30 minuters later starting and finishing! cRaZy!

Edit: Do you catch that bus every Saturday? It was bus 7686 that I had today! Very nice bus!

Maybe I'll jump on too :P

Just a question to throw out there.

Since CT is switching the seats out to vinyl in the LRVs, is this going to be done on the SD's as well?

Or could they simply be ordered to come with vinyl seating instead of having to pay for the change at a later time?

Very good question! But right now, the newest ones have been arriving with the cloth seating as far as I know.... I wish I knew the answer to this one!

As I was the recipient of the alert, I was able to get some photos of the new LRV being spotted at the pad.

See the pictures on my website at http://www.hiddenimages.ca/transit/calgary...60_delivery.htm including some cheezy little descriptions of the action.

If they are arriving in order, this would be 2247. This is not confirmed.

Sorry to ask a seemingly silly question, but.....

I thought CT's SD160's were going to have a redesigned front cap?

Dan

ETS's order of SD160's will, but CT stuck with the standard cab design. Personally I'd love to see the ETS cab here, its no where near as boxy.

ETS's order of SD160's will, but CT stuck with the standard cab design. Personally I'd love to see the ETS cab here, its no where near as boxy.

Ahh, I see. Thanks.

Next question (wrong section, I know): when is ETS receiving theirs?

Dan

McKnight-Westwinds will be open this fall (no official date has been announced yet, but I'd think probably in October). The station itself is progressing nicely, and the tracks are laid the entire way pending the intersection just north of Whitehorn. Electrical work is the main thing to go. Here is a ~1 month old shot of the station, I haven't had a chance to grab any more recent (planning a trip up there this week though):

westwinds-may31-4.jpg

Crowfoot will be open late 2008. The station is currently being poured, and the bridges are in progress (this is the first park'n'ride that will have a dedicated road bridge connecting its two halves). The tracks are laid about 1/2 way from Dalhousie, but they have to wait for the Nosehill Drive interchange to open before they can reach the station, likely to happen about the same time that Mcknight-Westwinds opens.

We have a thread over on SSP that a number of us post semi-regular transit infrastructure related photo updates to, you can see it here.

I came down to Calgary yesterday as well, to photograph more LRT. Every time when I come to Calgary on a weekend day, there is bound to have constructions on LRT, last year during labor day long weekend, there was track raplacement work on the north east leg such that northbound train, after leaving Marlboro, would move backwards, switch to southbound track, move back into the Marlboro, and then proceed northbound again. This time it was track replacement at Chinook such that northbound train had to switch to southbound track before Chinook, and switch back after 39th Avenue. There were two idiots holding up the door of train 2244 at 39th Ave for almost 10 minutes, prompting the drive to check upon them.

P7010090.JPGP7010091.JPG

Southbound train pulled into 39th Avenue immediately after 2244 departed.

P7010092.JPG

Trains were scarce on Sunday, making photographing extremely time consuming and stressful. I avoided places where I have already photographed before, but even then, when discovered a new scenic spot, it usually took forever for a train to show up. The panoramic view of the city scape from the overpass at Barlow was spetacular, the curvature at Banff trail was also unique and characteristic.

Barlow overpass

P7010035.JPGP7010036.JPGP7010037.JPG

Banff Trail curvature

P7010099.JPGP7010100.JPG

North east train crossing Bow River bridge

P7010048.JPGP7010049.JPGP7010050.JPG

Sunny Side north end

84000011.JPG84000012.JPG