Transit Windsor

MaT

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/transitwindsor/routes-and-schedules/pages/schedules-and-maps.aspx

The new 518X(tecumseh mall-devonshire mall-st clair college express route) is up now with the full schedule and route map, starting sept 5th. Also september 5th is when all the city and county routes go back to full service. Still no tunnel service for the time being.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, MaT said:

https://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/transitwindsor/routes-and-schedules/pages/schedules-and-maps.aspx

The new 518X(tecumseh mall-devonshire mall-st clair college express route) is up now with the full schedule and route map, starting sept 5th. Also september 5th is when all the city and county routes go back to full service. Still no tunnel service for the time being.

Account was approved, so happy I found this forum! 😃 Really happy to see transit is moving back to full service, and also the 518X getting off the ground too! First step on the new master plan. It looks like next year we should see the first of the new Primary routes as well! (the 12, from Hotel Dieu to Tecumseh Mall)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, MaT said:

I like the new route! Great to see a common-sense use of a freeway for transit service.

I was expecting a limited, weekday-only schedule. Quite a surprise to see full, all-day, seven day service. Will be interesting to see what usage is on a Sunday morning...

One question: how did they possibly arrive at the route designation "518X"?

As best I can tell, that number has no relation to anything! Am I missing some esoteric Windsor / St Clair College reference, here?

16 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

I like the new route! Great to see a common-sense use of a freeway for transit service.

I was expecting a limited, weekday-only schedule. Quite a surprise to see full, all-day, seven day service. Will be interesting to see what usage is on a Sunday morning...

One question: how did they possibly arrive at the route designation "518X"?

As best I can tell, that number has no relation to anything! Am I missing some esoteric Windsor / St Clair College reference, here?

The company contracted to plan a new route network had used the number 18 for this new route, for no particular reason, only as a means to identify the route. Transit Windsor must have used it as a reference and added a 5 to it possibly to identify it as an express route, making the 518.

"Transit Windsor Goes on Hiring Spree, builds new shelters and adds new routes" https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/transit-windsor-goes-on-hiring-spree-builds-new-shelters-and-adds-new-routes

While there is mention of the 24 new buses and the 518X, there is also mention of a new express route called the 418X, which would connect Tecumseh Mall to the Lancer Centre and west-end terminal. This looks to be the second of the proposed express routes in the master plan (where it's called Route 16). Two differences: first, it looks like the current east terminus is Tecumseh Mall, whereas the master plan mentions the proposed hospital site as the east terminus (which makes sense). Second, instead of using E.C. Row, the article mentions service would go along Tecumseh Rd? I'm not sure if this is just a mistake or not, but I feel the performance of this proposed 418X would not be the same as the 518X since it's not using the highway.

It mentions that council will "soon prioritize the 418X", so hopefully between now and then it uses the highway :D 

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed 8023(lasalle bus) and 8043(not a lasalle bus) on the 25 today. 8024 must have needed some work done, that or someone screwed up as only 8023 and 8024 are branded to be used on the 25  nothing else!

9 hours ago, MaT said:

I noticed 8023(lasalle bus) and 8043(not a lasalle bus) on the 25 today. 8024 must have needed some work done, that or someone screwed up as only 8023 and 8024 are branded to be used on the 25  nothing else!

If 8023 or 8024 needs to be serviced then another Nova will be used as a spare.   If you see a New Flyer or a Orion on the 25 then there something wrong.  this route is a Nova only route.

8025 and 8026 was originally planned to be the LaSalle buses with different seats but was changed to 8023 and 8024.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 5:53 PM, Scrabbleship said:

Will they ever resume it or will it be time for private industry to fill the gap?

The news release makes a pretty strong case for why the Tunnel Bus is not running right now.

I cannot see a private operator investing in regularly scheduled tunnel service. There are many costs and complexities -- and, unfortunately, ridership just isn't that high. A private operator wouldn't last two months.

Tunnel Bus will resume. It has weathered other crises -- and always stayed alive. At least on the Windsor side, it's a highly valued service.

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 9:04 PM, Border City Transit said:

The news release makes a pretty strong case for why the Tunnel Bus is not running right now.

I cannot see a private operator investing in regularly scheduled tunnel service. There are many costs and complexities -- and, unfortunately, ridership just isn't that high. A private operator wouldn't last two months.

Tunnel Bus will resume. It has weathered other crises -- and always stayed alive. At least on the Windsor side, it's a highly valued service.

From what I can tell, the issue is the Canadian government's insistence that PCR tests be provided when crossing the land border. If that ever gets lifted, I can see the Tunnel Bus resuming shortly after.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 1:44 PM, MaT said:

Should be nothing strange. A bus is a bus regardless of what wrap it's in for what service. If there's another available, it'll be sub'ed in. No issue.

So what's this about this Tecumesh Road express? 418X? 

And lastly, any news whether or not TW would be participating in the CUTRIC bus trial?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Windsor fans and transit users. I am curious about the idea of a Detroit-Windsor amalgamated transit network, and how that would impact cross-boarder employment. Has anyone on either side of the border ever considered the idea of a rapid transit line that would connect Windsor Airport, Downtown Windsor and Detroit and continuing on into the State Fair-8 Mile area of Detroit? I have been looking into ways on how to improve transit in Detroit specifically, as the city tries to rebuild nd prosper again, the idea of a co-funded transit network here might offer new opportunities for tourism, employment and education for both cities, so I'd like to spark some discussion and debate on this issue. Below is a map I've put together of a few service areas that I believe could benefit from a trans-border rapid transit service, as well as lines that would connect residents within Detroit and Windsor.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=10MwpnnsIpJtnvf11rR7utOg5OLJGcsQr&usp=sharing

Edited by 409 Thornton
grammar edit

Would never work for many reasons, one being ridership. There's not enough demand for something of that scale.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seen in the novabus factory sightings thread that some transit windsor buses have been built in quebec. They were seen last sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

With transit windsor service to amhersrburg starting in September, and service to lakeshore possible in the next few years, now talks of a possible route between windsor and colchester with stops in Paquette corners, McGregor and harrow. It would take walker rd and county road 13. Exciting to see all the talks now of expansion, I hope they like this idea and it goes thru! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so the new route to amherstburg will be named the 605, as it falls under the new route naming guidelines that will be used as the transit master plan is implimented. The new route guidelines will be as follows. 

all primary routes will be in the 100’s, secondary routes 200’s, local routes 300’s, skip stop (semi-express) routes 400’s, expressway routes 500’s, regional routes 600’s, and school extras 700’s. Some of these changes have already been implemented, such as Route 518X and the school extras. Routes with a primarily north-south alignment will be assigned odd numbers, (hence the designation of Route 605 for Amherstburg), and routes with a primarily eastwest alignment will have even numbers. The numbers will be separated by 5, so for example, 605 then 610, then 615, and so on. This allows Transit Windsor to follow industry standards for route names. (taken from city of Windsor agenda)

To make it easier to read, ill list them like this

100s - Primary
200s - Secondary
300s - Local
400s - Semi-Express
500s - Expressway 
600s - Regional 
700s - School Extras

Also the buses that will retire once the new novas are here (24), are as follows. 425-436, 438, 440-444, 555, 557, 558, 559, 562, 564.

• Thanks 1