Transit Windsor

MaT

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2018 at 12:50 PM, Girardin71 said:

8023 & 8024 are now wrapped with Town of LaSalle.  

https://flic.kr/p/MvAn49

Hm.

Good pic, but kinda disappointed to see a tacky wrap rather than a thoughtful paint scheme.

In any case, glad that transit in La Salle is taking off. Will be curious to see how it evolves...

1 hour ago, 160 Downriver said:

Even though the 2018 LFSes have pretty much taken over the Tunnel Bus lately, there are still occasions when a different bus will be on at least one of the runs. For example, today 2013 XD40 632 was spotted on a Tunnel Bus run in Detroit.

I think it basically goes to any bus that can get its engine started. I've noticed as late Orion VIIs being used there.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, ADB said:

With the 2018 Nova buses in service, have all the Orion VIs been retired as indicated on p. 12 here?

As far as I know, they're still in service. They had their AVL devices taken out so they use them primarily on school trippers now.

So despite the increase in service on route 5, there’s still serious overcrowding? Maybe TW can find some working buses to purchase second hand from another property like LTC OC transpo, mississauaga, etc? Maybe time to purchase some 18m vehicles?

I think they should update the schedules first on the south windsor routes, maybe even add more headways to the routes on top of what they added for the 5. And once they know how they wanna schedule the routes with the furthur increases, then look at how many more buses theyll need and go from there. I agree on the artics though, i have for years.   One of the options for the new west end terminal showed artic bus bays if they would chose that option, which i hope they do.

Very true. They need to look at how many extras they have typically and work them into the schedule so customers know what time those buses are coming, which should help even out the passenger load, and adjust the new 5 runs so the spacing is even, otherwise there’s bound to be a bus that’s full and bypassing customers, as well as falling behind schedule with the next bus nearly empty. They should change the 6 and 7 to be 30 minutes or less headways as well so they are more useful routes. 

Artics on TW’s busiest routes could leave more service hours available for the south windsor routes in the event the 1C/2 need increased capacity as well.

The express route i think is a pretty good opportunity to pilot express bus services. The route runs from the college to sandwich town (high student population) then to the university and along university avenue (also high student population) to the transit terminal. If it could run both ways all day on weekdays it would be a great way to see how customers react to this type of service. Along sandwich/university it should only stop at transfer points with this clearly signed at the stops, to keep these buses moving quickly.

I would also like to add to the express idea about maybe expanding on more runs at different times and gauging what the best times are to make the runs. maybe have it a set frequency like every 20 mins as an example, and i agree about having it both directions. Should also name and number the route so more people will be aware of it, creating more ridership for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m visiting family in Windsor this weekend and rode route 6 (a 2018 nova) downtown to meet a friend for lunch and was surprised to hear the bus making automated announcements! And they were pretty easy to hear as well. It was a saturday so a lot fewer buses were out but was also happy to see only newer (‘09 or later) vehicles while downtown. And i was able to plan my trips using google maps like in other cities. Seems they’ve made some big improvements technology-wise, but the schedules are still the same as I remember.

loops are tricky. They allow a larger service area but should only exist in areas where passengers would not want to transfer in the opposite direction of the loop, such is not the case on the 5 Dominion, where a passenger may board a northbound bus and then have to transfer to a south ound bus on the same route to access st clair college. A two-way loop is a solution that could be implemented through branching, but inefficient to operate and confusing to riders. 

Transit Windsor had a plan to divert route 7 into south windsor along the existing 5 loop to Grand Marais and straighten route 5 such that it runs directly into the college, and then continues southbound along country club dr, then looping near north Talbot and 6th concession, thus finally serving Southwood Lakes. This was never actioned, unfortunately.

On 11/18/2018 at 9:31 PM, JacobWL said:

loops are tricky. They allow a larger service area but should only exist in areas where passengers would not want to transfer in the opposite direction of the loop, such is not the case on the 5 Dominion, where a passenger may board a northbound bus and then have to transfer to a south ound bus on the same route to access st clair college. A two-way loop is a solution that could be implemented through branching, but inefficient to operate and confusing to riders. 

Transit Windsor had a plan to divert route 7 into south windsor along the existing 5 loop to Grand Marais and straighten route 5 such that it runs directly into the college, and then continues southbound along country club dr, then looping near north Talbot and 6th concession, thus finally serving Southwood Lakes. This was never actioned, unfortunately.

One can make it into 2 branches, where 1 branch serves one part of the loop, while the other serves another part of the loop.

It would still be confusing to many riders, and require an increase in service hours, while also reducing service frequency (in each direction) in that loop.  It would be more effective to serve the area in that loop with it’s own service, which was proposed in the 2005 Master Plan  3999B563-6391-44B7-881D-4B167471C1CF.thumb.jpeg.c2fa81c443be2690846a36eb09f42e53.jpegF73F4E16-65AC-4D89-9F66-EA34CCC93DD5.thumb.jpeg.e5a7685b3964d99dbf59ce14ca488da8.jpeg