Transit Windsor

MaT

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Windsor fans and transit users. I am curious about the idea of a Detroit-Windsor amalgamated transit network, and how that would impact cross-boarder employment. Has anyone on either side of the border ever considered the idea of a rapid transit line that would connect Windsor Airport, Downtown Windsor and Detroit and continuing on into the State Fair-8 Mile area of Detroit? I have been looking into ways on how to improve transit in Detroit specifically, as the city tries to rebuild nd prosper again, the idea of a co-funded transit network here might offer new opportunities for tourism, employment and education for both cities, so I'd like to spark some discussion and debate on this issue. Below is a map I've put together of a few service areas that I believe could benefit from a trans-border rapid transit service, as well as lines that would connect residents within Detroit and Windsor.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=10MwpnnsIpJtnvf11rR7utOg5OLJGcsQr&usp=sharing

Edited by 409 Thornton
grammar edit

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With transit windsor service to amhersrburg starting in September, and service to lakeshore possible in the next few years, now talks of a possible route between windsor and colchester with stops in Paquette corners, McGregor and harrow. It would take walker rd and county road 13. Exciting to see all the talks now of expansion, I hope they like this idea and it goes thru! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so the new route to amherstburg will be named the 605, as it falls under the new route naming guidelines that will be used as the transit master plan is implimented. The new route guidelines will be as follows. 

all primary routes will be in the 100’s, secondary routes 200’s, local routes 300’s, skip stop (semi-express) routes 400’s, expressway routes 500’s, regional routes 600’s, and school extras 700’s. Some of these changes have already been implemented, such as Route 518X and the school extras. Routes with a primarily north-south alignment will be assigned odd numbers, (hence the designation of Route 605 for Amherstburg), and routes with a primarily eastwest alignment will have even numbers. The numbers will be separated by 5, so for example, 605 then 610, then 615, and so on. This allows Transit Windsor to follow industry standards for route names. (taken from city of Windsor agenda)

To make it easier to read, ill list them like this

100s - Primary
200s - Secondary
300s - Local
400s - Semi-Express
500s - Expressway 
600s - Regional 
700s - School Extras

Also the buses that will retire once the new novas are here (24), are as follows. 425-436, 438, 440-444, 555, 557, 558, 559, 562, 564.

• Thanks 1

If the Tunnel Bus does get a number under these guidelines, hopefully it shouldn't be numbered 610, 615, 620, and 635, as these numbers are already in use by SMART routes across the river (and thus create conversations like "I'm gonna take the 615 to the 31 to the 615").

On 7/11/2022 at 7:52 PM, MaT said:

To make it easier to read, ill list them like this

100s - Primary
200s - Secondary
300s - Local
400s - Semi-Express
500s - Expressway 
600s - Regional 
700s - School Extras

Sigh.

There's nothing wrong with this system. It's perfectly valid logic.

I wonder, though, for a mid-size system like Transit Windsor, does this overthink the task at hand? And could it backfire?

Sure, a transit geek could see 315 and determine: OK, that's a local route that travels primarily north-south.

But a potential transit customer (i.e. -not- a geek!) could quickly be turned off by such big, bewildering route numbers. Unlike "our" reaction, they may conclude: Route numbers like 105 and 230 and 518X? In this little city? Wow -- transit is awfully confusing. Better stay away...

At some point, it's easier to lean on handful of routes with "easy" numbers (1, 2, 3, etc) instead of hoping that everyone will learn an elaborate coding syntax. Especially when the code contains such technical distinctions as "semi-express" vs "expressway"... "secondary" vs "local".

On 7/11/2022 at 7:52 PM, MaT said:

This allows Transit Windsor to follow industry standards for route names. (taken from city of Windsor agenda)

Eh. Why is this a priority? Every transit system is different -- and the audience is local residents/businesses/visitors, not industry insiders.

Transit systems can certainly borrow best practices from each other. Still, transit routes are not a one-size-fits-all product.

Also... which other systems use this "standard"? I can think of only one that kind of comes close: Durham Region Transit. Besides that, transit systems use route numbers that fit their local context.

There's work to be done to clean up Transit Windsor's routes and numbers (like, I always thought it was silly how 1A and 1C both use "1" when they're drastically different routes). This new structure, though? Unclear who Windsor thinks they're impressing...

Thanks for sharing, in any case.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently it's september 5th they go back to full service according to the TW website. Also the 605 amherstburg route schedule is up in the schedules and maps section of the TW site. No 605 on the "wheres my bus" section yet. I'm sure it will be ready for september

Also to add, the 1A and the 14 are switching bus bays at WITT on September 4th. Also on September 4th, I think there will be a new system map released, including the 42, 518X and the 605, but im not 100 confirmed on that one, so we'll play it by ear. Also the 605 hopefully should be active on wheres my bus on or before September 4th. I'm checking everything daily. I'm looking forward to a new system map online as well, hopefully they do that too.

Well, this morning 8031 was the first bus in service on the new 605 on the morning run. I find it funny now too that we have so many bus passes now compared to even 10 years ago. Now we have the normal smart ride cards and smart pass cards, the 2 new regional smart ride and regional smart pass cards, a UPass for UofW students, a SaintsPass for St Clair students. What a change in 10 years! and now the 3 West is no more with the Central 3 being extended later at night. And im pretty sure at least but maybe over a dozen new novas are already on property. Im in the process of getting numbers of the buses that are here. I know 8060 and 8068 are two of them.

EDIT: Forgot to add this has been in the bids and tenders for a while now.

RFP 117-22 RFP 117-22, Rebranding Transit Windsor Consultant
Open: (Aug 16, 2022 8:30 AM) EDT Close: (Sep 15, 2022 11:30 AM) EDT
117-22, Letter, TW Rebranding

Electronic bid submissions only, shall be accepted and received by the City on or before the Submission Deadline of THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2022, at Eleven-Thirty Fifty-Nine (11:30:59) a.m. (E.D.T) through the City’s Bidding System: www.biddingo.com/windsor. Transit Windsor is seeking proposals from Proponents to provide a rebranding study which will likely include a new logo and consistent visual brand for Transit Windsor, which will be guided by the findings of and the momentum generated by the More Than Transit Plan.

Orion VII's 433 and 428 are retired and currently being auctioned off on GovDeals. 433 looks to still be salvageable, but 428 is probably too far gone.

Also, Nova LFS 559 is retired and being auctioned on GovDeals.

433: https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1174&acctid=5761

428: https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1175&acctid=5761

559: https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1176&acctid=5761

Ya all of the 05 novas are already off the road for a while now, plus half the Orion VIIs. Theres only 11 Orion VIIs left in service, all the others are parked alongside the 05 novas with signs on the that say scrap bus, do not touch.

• 2 weeks later...

So there are at least 8 new novas on property, possibly many more. I only have 5 numbers so far confirmed to be delivered. 8049, 8053, 8047, 8060, and 8066. They do not have the new drivers window, still using the old style.

Also some more buses have arrived on Govdeals, 555, 564, 431 and 432.