Transit Windsor

MaT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the May 20 Environment, Transportation & Public Safety Standing Committee Meeting, there's a report outlining 16 buses to be decommissioned following the delivery of the 19 LFS buses. 

2002-2003 Invero - 670, 671, 672, 673, 674, 675, 676, 677, 681, 682, 683 and 684 (12), ending the Invero era in Windsor

2005 Nova LFS - 556, 560, 561, 563 (4)

Surprisingly none of the Orion VII buses appear to be planned for retirement with this order. In checking the wiki, most of the Invero buses noted above had their status changed to retired in July 2019. Can anyone explain this discrepancy? Were they removed from service since then but not 'officially' decommissioned or was the edit made inaccurate? 

The decommissioned buses will be auctioned off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silly Tilley said:

From the May 20 Environment, Transportation & Public Safety Standing Committee Meeting, there's a report outlining 16 buses to be decommissioned following the delivery of the 19 LFS buses. 

2002-2003 Invero - 670, 671, 672, 673, 674, 675, 676, 677, 681, 682, 683 and 684 (12), ending the Invero era in Windsor

2005 Nova LFS - 556, 560, 561, 563 (4)

Surprisingly none of the Orion VII buses appear to be planned for retirement with this order. In checking the wiki, most of the Invero buses noted above had their status changed to retired in July 2019. Can anyone explain this discrepancy? Were they removed from service since then but not 'officially' decommissioned or was the edit made inaccurate? 

The decommissioned buses will be auctioned off.

Based on previous visits to the Transit Windsor garage, they tend to keep their retired buses sitting around the garage for a while. It's probable that they have retired them from service, and the staff report is just stating which units are to be sold off. The report could also just be "dumbed down" for the Committee, without any of the nuances regarding when the buses were actually removed from service.

As always, thanks for digging up the info on the 19 new Novas for Transit Windsor.

Many of those inveros were already retired with the 2018 novas and have been sitting at the east wall where 560 should be as well, being used for parts etc im sure. the only inveros left active after the 2018 order are 671, 677 and 683. im sure by decommissioning they mean to sell off the retired buses and removing them from the property, whether resold or sold as scrap. 560 has been a parts donor for a while now(by mistake of someone at the garage and they had to go with it).  the other 3 novas listed im guessing are the worst of the 05s. I bet after the inveros are off property you will see many orion VIIs sidelined at that retirement wall and used for parts for the im guessing handful remaining VIIs at that point. There are still some VIIs with no work done to them in the 6 inch stripes, those should be first to go along with the 3 inveros as well as the listed novas that are currently in service.

I will see if I can find out any more info on this and keep you posted.

So someone had put on the wiki for the new buses that theyre replacing the buses listed in the report. im going to remove that because there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes and things can change at any given moment. When buses are actually retired from this order and it is confirmed what buses are indeed replaced by this order of buses, I will put it on the wiki. most of the buses listed in that report have been retired for a few years now. Retired in a report made for a group of individuals who do not have a good grasp of how a system is run is very different than reality.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Girardin71 said:

Today not too many 2020 Novas

8033 (Lauzon 10)

8034 (crosstown 2)

and transit windows announced a new executive director.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/news/city-names-new-executive-director-for-transit-windsor-1.13434787

8041 was on the Central 3 yesterday, these Nova's are New York built. 

So talks are still going forward with Transit Windsor service to Amherstburg.

https://www.talktheburg.ca/transit

at the bottom right there are 3 files, one of them being the proposed route. Now I noticed in the file name it says route 20...could that be a hint of it being named the 20 Amherstburg if it all goes through?

• Thanks 1

well, 11 2020 novas in service today in the city. 615(a hybrid) on the 42 heading down the highway to leamington....fail.  And also I seen 425 today with a fresh coat of paint in the smaller 3 inch stripes, looks good! Proof that its gonna stick around for a while longer!

22 minutes ago, MaT said:

well, 11 2020 novas in service today in the city. 615(a hybrid) on the 42 heading down the highway to leamington....fail.  And also I seen 425 today with a fresh coat of paint in the smaller 3 inch stripes, looks good! Proof that its gonna stick around for a while longer!

A hybrid going to Leamington shouldn't be a fail.

Availability if buses can always mean whatever's there for a driver to use, ge/she will raise out fir their shift.

Glad that Transit Windsor continues on a track of general growth -- my sense is that COVID is slowing it down, but not stopping it! Excited to see advancements with the new route network.

Meanwhile, wtf happened to their fleet? I like their buses... but why are they ad wrapping so dang many?

I never like wraps, but those showing up in Windsor are especially bad. They're all composed of low-res photos, amateur photo editing effects, overly detailed text that clashes with doors/window frames, etc. They're really, really poorly designed. They make the whole transit system look tacky. Last time I was at WITT, every single bus was wearing a super-busy, super-ugly ad wrap.

I hope they come to their senses. The city is investing in transit -- that's huge. If they want it to succeed, they'll need to make the vehicles somewhat appealing.

Transit Windsor's buses have become so ugly that I stopped taking pictures. Even the non-wrapped buses... they cut the yellow+green+blue to almost nothing. It looks particularly sad on the 8000-series Novas. Those should be such beautiful vehicles. Time for a new paint scheme -- or time to adjust the "classic" scheme to better fit these very deserving buses.

It inspired me to dig up a couple photos of bright, happy Classics in full yellow regalia:

TWI540T.thumb.JPG.1d03148450d7ae76563a2f868db3396d.JPG

TWI510L.thumb.jpg.22f8c478d3f71ee9949163a90605827d.jpg

And 411, an original ca 1991 Orion V. This bus and its sister 412 were originally delivered in big yellow. Photos are scarce. I believe they were among the first to sport the "less yellow" look some time around 1997/1998 -- when the very first Nova LFSs came in.

TWI411D.thumb.jpg.392d2d8ec43fb548a36c2573cfdd9081.jpg

All photos taken in Detroit. That's what we call... Border City Transit!  ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Out of the 19 new Novas 2 haven’t since service since delivery, 8027, 8037.

What is Transit Windsor doing to these buses delaying them entering service.

Also on the tracker they have the Central 3 and the Central 3 Loop.  Aren’t these the same route.  They also have smart ride cards that are reloadable but only at the WITT or Transit Centre (garage), they are only 5 or 10 rides. They still have paper tickets and the monthly passes.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2020 at 4:19 PM, Border City Transit said:

And 411, an original ca 1991 Orion V. This bus and its sister 412 were originally delivered in big yellow. Photos are scarce. I believe they were among the first to sport the "less yellow" look some time around 1997/1998 -- when the very first Nova LFSs came in.

Here is a shot of 411 taken on December 27, 1991 when brand new.

Transit Windsor 411 - 27DEC91.jpg

• Like 10

On 12/16/2020 at 5:11 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

Here is a shot of 411 taken on December 27, 1991 when brand new.

OMG, thank you for sharing that.

This is proof that a "modern" body style can deftly wear an older paint scheme. Wish we had had more time to enjoy 411 & 412 before they went vanilla.

Wow.

About twice a year in the early/mid 90s, my grandparents would take me to Downtown Windsor. We'd head straight for Ouellette & Wyandotte on Saturday mornings. While they tended to my grandpa's army pension at Canada Trust, I'd plant myself outside watching bus after bus after bus after bus.

I was absolutely captivated. Transit Windsor ran a typical Canadian fleet for the time: Classics and New Looks. With lots of variety among the Classics.

Just when I had concluded that Transit Windsor was all "GM" (the extent of my bus knowledge circa 1994), up rolls 411 or 412. I couldn't believe it! A visibly newer, "American-looking" bus in that trademark Windsor yellow!

A few minutes later, a 40-foot Orion I (401-410) pulled up. I didn't know what to make of that bus! After these Orion sightings, it become even more fun to watch Transit Windsor.

Sorry for the longwinded story. Your photo evoked some very happy memories.

Here's a pic from "my favourite intersection" 10-15 years later. A limp, unexciting Orion VI lurching westbound on the Crosstown 2. Wonder what those would have looked like in yellow?!

TWI423O.thumb.jpg.e0b064ecbc36e7906de50c543542d2b4.jpg

• Like 2