Transit Windsor

MaT

I only saw that the one time and that was it. It was the grey new flyer demo that I posted a pic of in an earlier post somewhere in this thread. I remember that it was coming west down Tecumseh Road in front of the Canadian Tire(near Forest Glade) and it had a yellow classic behind it. As has been mentioned before, new flyer could have been Windsor's order for 2004 but it went to Orion. So we still might be able to get some NFIs later on this year. Whatever we get, I bet it will be around Christmas. And I saw 912 on the 10 and 907 on the 4 at TMT a couple days ago, so they're still with us for a bit.

That's what I want to start doing. Ride the routes that I never rode before for a larger portion of the route to see where it goes and what's along the route. The ones I want to ride the most are the 5, 6 , 7, and the 10. Transit Windsor should implement the old 5,6 and 8 As and Bs in a style like what London Transit has. After rideing on London Transit and seeing/experiencing what they have to offer, I realized how poor quality TW is. I don't mean we don't have a lot of routes or a smaller fleet than what we should have, but the routes themselves and the infastructure. Ex: every bus stop has the route #s that go there, grid-pattern routes, routes that serve certain districts from a transit hub, routes that branch off into more than one route(5-5A & 5B).

Just to let you know the downtown bus terminal is coming along pretty good. The terminal building itself is gonna be huge. The distance between Chatham and Pitt is pretty big, and that's the whole length of the building. I don't have any specifics yet on how many bus routes will go there, but I can tell you that it will be 7.5 million dollars and the target opening date is May 2007. Here is a picture from last wednesday's(Not the one that just passed) Windsor Star.

IMG_0002.JPG

I ride Orion VIs every day. The past 2-3 weeks with the detroit river over our heads(A LOT OF RAIN), I didnt see one leak. I rode 2 today alone and didn't see anything anywhere! Maybe it's just 421.

I just did a drawing on MS Paint of what I think the Tecumseh Mall Bus Terminal should look like in accordance with the new plan that they made with all the routes. Here's the Legend.

Blue-Mall Entrance

Red-Bus Shelter

Green-Bus Driver Resting Room

Yellow-Public Parking spaces

Grey-Sidewalk/pavement

Burgandy-Tecumseh Mall

Orange-Sobey's Loading Area

White-road

The buses on the Left side are heading Eastbound, whle on the left they are heading Westbound. The roads around the buses are all one-way(as you can see from the arrows. So tell me what you think.

Tecumseh_Mall_bus_Terminal_drawing.bmp

I just did a drawing on MS Paint of what I think the Tecumseh Mall Bus Terminal should look like in accordance with the new plan that they made with all the routes. Here's the Legend.

Blue-Mall Entrance

Red-Bus Shelter

Green-Bus Driver Resting Room

Yellow-Public Parking spaces

Grey-Sidewalk/pavement

Burgandy-Tecumseh Mall

Orange-Sobey's Loading Area

White-road

The buses on the Left side are heading Eastbound, whle on the left they are heading Westbound. The roads around the buses are all one-way(as you can see from the arrows. So tell me what you think.

Not bad. To make this work, they'll have to move the Sobey's loading area about 100 feet west (from memory, it's been a while), and take away about 50 feet of parking lot to the north. But that's OK since the parking lot would have to be expanded westwards anyways according to your plan, to accomodate the bypass road for public traffic. I'm assuming that there wouldn't be any cars allowed in the bus area.

One issue I have with the plan is the angled bus bays. They're nice for intercity coaches, but won't work for city buses, there's just too many of them moving in and out of the bays too frequently, especially during peak periods. Becomes kind of dangerous, with buses driving straight through and other trying to back out, all of this mixed in with some serious pedestrian traffic. You're better off just making straight curbs around the bus shelter island. Sure, this will mean that the whole thing becomes very long (have to allow room at the curb for buses AND room to maneuver between them), but this can be solved by combining some of the stops. E.g. make only one stop for two different lower frequency routes.

Ya I did the angled bus bays like that since it works at CAT(College ave Terminal) with like 5 different bus routes. I forgot to add the 10A on the island on the left(eastbound) side too. The bus area will be buses only with the road that goes by the left side of the terminal there for cars. The lane on the right that has DOL is a drop off lane for cars that want to drop off passengers. That would be the only area where cars are allowed in. I'll make some adjustments and throw it back on here. Also about the bus bays being angled(before I forget, lol) There are 2 lanes for buses there. The closest one to the island is for buses pulling in/out of the bays. The the outer one is for buses leaving the terminal. And on the left side there's a separate lane for cars. I'll show ya in the next pic.

Ok here we go. I redid the bus island to include the 10A and I rounded the inlets for the buses when they're turning out of the bays. I moved the Drop Off Lane(DOL) to the left side of the terminal, which only cars dropping off passengers to the terminal/mall can go. The aqua coloured lanes are the outside lanes for the buses that I told you about in the last post. Ummm, the terminal is buses only. The yellow scratches are where the people can get the the mall entrances from the parking area(i still don't like that part for some reason) and the terminal. The sidewalk at the right side/bottom has been extended for people coming from the terminal and parking. The arrows on the roads around the parking area are all 2 way roads(as you can see from the messy arrows lol) and the arrows pointing out of the parking area(inside the yellow) are the only spots you can enter/leave the parking area. I think that's it.

Ok here we go. I redid the bus island to include the 10A and I rounded the inlets for the buses when they're turning out of the bays. I moved the Drop Off Lane(DOL) to the left side of the terminal, which only cars dropping off passengers to the terminal/mall can go. The aqua coloured lanes are the outside lanes for the buses that I told you about in the last post. Ummm, the terminal is buses only. The yellow scratches are where the people can get the the mall entrances from the parking area(i still don't like that part for some reason) and the terminal. The sidewalk at the right side/bottom has been extended for people coming from the terminal and parking. The arrows on the roads around the parking area are all 2 way roads(as you can see from the messy arrows lol) and the arrows pointing out of the parking area(inside the yellow) are the only spots you can enter/leave the parking area. I think that's it.

So basically we're still looking at an expansion of about 50 feet north and 100 feet west, as well as some alterations to the Sobey's receiving area. Pretty feasible, assuming ownership and expense issues are worked out. I like the inside-and-outside bus lanes on each side for maneuvering, but still not a fan of the angled bus bays. Most pedestrians won't be going all the way around the terminal to cross to the other side, or go to the parking lot, they'll just cut accross right the middle part. They'll probably do so while completely ignoring buses backing out right at them. Basically that's the kind of reasoning that would make an architecture/engineering consultant to advise against that sort of an arrangement.

Ok, hopefully I have it right now. I changed the angled bus bays to a large square like terminal with all the routes supposed to be an equal length apart from each other. It doesn't really look like they are but It's supposed to be. Also I included the 1C route because I don't know if they would keep it or get rid of it once the 101, 102, and 103X routes come(If that happens). I changed the driver resting area to where the green is where it is now.

Oh ya, I forgot to put this here. This morning the 1C Express came 30 minutes late because the driver had to drive really slow. There was something wrong with the bus(535) but I don't know what. So we waited for 519 for a change off and 535 was driven back to the garage. So for that I was around 40 minutes late(compared to my regular schedule) after it was all over. At least I wasn't late for school.

Ok I have a route for you guys, I wanna see what you think. Since there's a 15 on the transfers(and I don't think there has been a 15...ever), I called it the 15 University. It goes Between the College Ave. Terminal and the Devonshire Mall Terminal servicing the U.

15 UNIVERSITY

(Southbound)

College Ave Terminal

north on Felix

west on Mill

east on Sandwich/Riverside

South on California

east on Northwood

north on Dougall

east on Eugenie

South on Howard

east on Sydney(where the 1A and 7 goes)

Proceed to Devonshire Mall Terminal

(Northbound is reversed)

15 UNIVERSITY

(Southbound)

College Ave Terminal

north on Felix

west on Mill

east on Sandwich/Riverside

South on California

east on Northwood

north on Dougall

east on Eugenie

South on Howard

east on Sydney(where the 1A and 7 goes)

Proceed to Devonshire Mall Terminal

(Northbound is reversed)

IIRC can't turn left from Northwood (eastbound) to Dougall (northbound). There's a median in the way and can't see traffic coming from the left for shit because of the support for the CN bridge.

Other than that, not a bad idea, could appeal to those people who live in the residential area bounded by Huron Church, Tecumseh and Cabana.

That's pretty bad. I go there everyday(Dougall off-ramp from EC Row) and I can't even remember if there's a median. There's got to be another way around that. Ok, how about this? The route from College Terminal to Devonshire mall as it is but on the way back it's different. When it leaves the mall it heads south on Howard, then west on Liberty and north on Dougall. Then it turns west on Grand Marais and north on Dominion and west on Northwood. Then the same back up to the College Terminal. That should work! and it still services the U and 5 high schools along with the mall and previously uncovered area transit-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Today wheile viewing the Tunnel Cameras, I noticed someone in a wheelchair, at the Detroit Exit section of the tunnel. This was at about 3pm or so. Upon my last check, it's around 4:20pm and he's still there. He's been blocking either one of the 3 exit lanes from the tunnel, at the intersection at Jefferson street. I suggest if anyone has the tunnel cam, view it and see what's going on.

There's also someone at the Windsor side...in a crossing-guard uniform. Maybe something happened in the tunnel perhaps.

On one note, the 3pm trip on the tunnel route, was an EZ-Rider. It came out at the Detroit side at around 3:30 or so, and had to make a short run in Detroit, coming through Jefferson and back into the tunnel towards Windsor at its regular arrival time.

Additionally, the trips which have been on the :30 departure from the Downtown Windsor Terminal was a Classic. I had noticed this at around 12:30 this afternoon. Saw it again at around 2:35 entering the tunnel. Ever since then, it's been replaced by a 97 Nova.

Lastly, the extra run for the route (on weekday service for the tunnel route) is currently an Orion VI.