Welland Transit

ORION

Both Regional units 1150 and 1151 were running today. They're still solid.

Anyways for sightings, Orion V 1153 was on the 4 Fitch Street this morning until the service break which starts at 12:15pm. It would then be assigned for the mid-day run on the N.O.T.L. Shuttle route.

102 was on the 1 Broadway / 8 Woodlawn till shortly after 2pm. Blue Bird unit 1137 would take over.

WellTrans unit 210 took over the 4 at 2:45pm. 1155 was on the 3 First Ave. (I correct my last post as it's 1155 with the new Two Guys ad wrap).

Blue Birds in service were 1138, 1139 and 1141.

So possibilities of which vehicle that got hit during the March storm are; 116, 1142, 1144, 1145, 1146, 1152. I don't think a cutaway would be brought out.....but you never know.

Both Regional units 1150 and 1151 were running today. They're still solid.

Anyways for sightings, Orion V 1153 was on the 4 Fitch Street this morning until the service break which starts at 12:15pm. It would then be assigned for the mid-day run on the N.O.T.L. Shuttle route.

102 was on the 1 Broadway / 8 Woodlawn till shortly after 2pm. Blue Bird unit 1137 would take over.

WellTrans unit 210 took over the 4 at 2:45pm. 1155 was on the 3 First Ave. (I correct my last post as it's 1155 with the new Two Guys ad wrap).

Blue Birds in service were 1138, 1139 and 1141.

So possibilities of which vehicle that got hit during the March storm are; 116, 1142, 1144, 1145, 1146, 1152. I don't think a cutaway would be brought out.....but you never know.

damn that might be 1152....................it's ok for the bluebirds and 116 as well, time to go anyway............

They could have bought some of PW's Terminal Link buses. At least those buses have no rust. oh well...

PW's ex-OCTA D40LF are 1995's while London Transit's D40i Invero are 2003's................of course i can almost guarantee that the ex-OCTA D40LF is going outlast the Invero from any perspectives!

I saw 1152 on the 70/75 today, I think that 116 may have been the unit in question that got hit. Or one of the two Eldorados (1144-1145)?

Eldorados running on hwy 406? Kinda odd............but it's ok if it's one of them

PW's ex-OCTA D40LF are 1995's while London Transit's D40i Invero are 2003's................of course i can almost guarantee that the ex-OCTA D40LF is going outlast the Invero from any perspectives!

That was my point. Those London buses for sure have so much rust underneath, in a couple of years they would have to spend the money or retire them.

The article posted in this thread stated " the city’s mechanic has had an opportunity to inspect the buses and was satisfied with the condition of the vehicles."

With out personally inspecting the bus... You honestly have no idea what they look like or how London maintained them.

Why would Welland buy a bus with an oddball junky ISC engine and an ancient 1990s electrical system when all their other new flyer buses have cummins ISL engines and newer multiplexed electrical systems?

Also the PW units have busted up Luminator megamax destination signs. Welland would have to purchase LED destination signs for them and are costly.

Face it.... PW is stuck with them and that's why they use them on some on their contracted shuttles in Downtown Toronto and out west.

IF you are working at London Transit and looking for a potential buyer to buy their buses, will you show them the WORST, RUSTIEST bus you have or rather showing them A DECENT ONE? Of course a "decent" one but does that 1 bus or 2 "decent" bus represent the condition for rest of the Inveros they have? Or you think London Transit will let Welland's mechanic to check out ALL 30 something Inveros they still have on hand and pick up the BEST 3 from them? Or Welland's mechanic is free enough to CHECK OUT EVERY SINGLE Inveros they have? Come on..........

Just like TTC before, they went and check out maybe one or two of the ex-STCUM Fishbowl in Montreal and then decided to get 62 of them. However most of them turned out to be lemon which cost a LOT more to rebuild after getting delivered(well you can't blame STCUM as every bus condition varies depends on usage) which they decided to rebuild only 20 of them, while the rest of 42 buses were being sent for scrap after stripping most of the parts..............or you think TTC's mechanic did check ALL 62 buses before they decided to get them?

Speaking about PWT's D40LF, who cares about the replacing a MEGAMAX SIGN that might cost more? I think they care more if the bus actually cost more to maintain/fix in order to get back on the road rather than the sign itself.............If you are working at Welland Transit, do you want a bus with a nice LED SIGN that sits on the hoist all the time, or a bus with megamax SIGN that always run? I think you might want a dead bus with a NICE LED sign to sit at your backyard for display but not Welland Transit LOL

IF you are working at London Transit and looking for a potential buyer to buy their buses, will you show them the WORST, RUSTIEST bus you have or rather showing them A DECENT ONE? Of course a "decent" one but does that 1 bus or 2 "decent" bus represent the condition for rest of the Inveros they have? Or you think London Transit will let Welland's mechanic to check out ALL 30 something Inveros they still have on hand and pick up the BEST 3 from them? Or Welland's mechanic is free enough to CHECK OUT EVERY SINGLE Inveros they have? Come on..........

Believe it or not, professional courtesy does exist. Transit systems try to work with one another and try not to pass on lemons, if they can help it. As for checking out the buses, most systems do check out every single bus that they purchase. Quite often, the system that is selling them will give them the pick of the litter (this bus has an engine with low mileage, etc.). In most cases, systems are allowed to view maintenance records as well which gives them another reason why they can target specific buses.

Kit Kat is right. The buses are a great bargain for systems at $ 8,000. Apparently the ones in Windsor are so well liked by the drivers (with only 2 in service at this point) that they are going out a lot more than expected.

What really tires us sometimes is a person with no mechanical background and no experience in the industry making false or unsubstantiated claims about vehicle reliability.

Believe it or not, professional courtesy does exist. Transit systems try to work with one another and try not to pass on lemons, if they can help it. As for checking out the buses, most systems do check out every single bus that they purchase. Quite often, the system that is selling them will give them the pick of the litter (this bus has an engine with low mileage, etc.). In most cases, systems are allowed to view maintenance records as well which gives them another reason why they can target specific buses.

Kit Kat is right. The buses are a great bargain for systems at $ 8,000. Apparently the ones in Windsor are so well liked by the drivers (with only 2 in service at this point) that they are going out a lot more than expected.

What really tires us sometimes is a person with no mechanical background and no experience in the industry making false or unsubstantiated claims about vehicle reliability.

I do agree they might NOT try to pass out lemons to potential buyers but even though the mechanic did check the buses before hand, doesn't mean they work out/perform as expected from the first sight. If TTC has inspected all 62 STCUM fishbowls before getting delivered then they should know the wiring problem with them that would potentially cost them more to rebuild them.............and i would be surprised they actually DID check all 62 buses by themselves given how much time and effort involved in the process(maybe you have inside info that they did, i don't). And honestly with $8000 a piece how good a bus you expecting to get? Face the reality it's even cheaper than getting a used 2003 Honda Accord!...............

Same idea as buying a used car for yourself, even you bring it to mechanic for a check doesn't mean the car would perform as you expected, especially on some ODD model which might be a pain to get parts with, that honestly getting a used D40LF seems to be more "safe" than getting used D40i, from my own perspective.

just hope Welland is not getting any lemons like their BlueBirds again...............

8 grand per bus is a steal even if they get the worst ones that need work. They have low mileage engines as they re-powered them not too long ago.

Welland put LED signs in all of their buses within the last few years. In the unlikely case that Welland wanted some, They would put LED signs in them.

TSI sells buses for ridiculous prices and that is probably one of the reasons why no one will buy them off of PW. a 1995 flyer is pretty much worth nothing in Ontario.

The difference here is were talking 3 buses and not 62 buses. I am pretty sure Welland will be given a choice to the three units they want from the already decommissioned units.

I agree it's a sick deal to get a bus at $8000 each but you gotta think how MUCH extra you have to spend on maintaining and keeping them on the road................their used Bluebirds seems to be a good deal 7 years back which turned out to be lemons after(well maybe they didn't check those Bluebirds before they got them but i doubt so lol)...............and maybe Welland Transit put too much expectation on their used buses which they shouldn't expect these "great deal used buses" to last as long as brand new buses, given the price tag on them............

talking about "decommissioned" one.............if they are that GOOD will London retire them but not keeping them on the road? They must be pain and too costly to fix which it doesn't worth to keep them anymore!

good luck Welland Transit.............maybe i shouldn't be surprised to see another news coming up with a title of "Welland Transit getting lemons AGAIN" after a year or two...........

A bus is a bus. Who cares. Windsor got some they will see how they play out. So will Welland. Guelph picked up 4 LFS buses from Ottawa. They were inspected they are not the greatest shape but they run and get people from point A to point B. Thats what most people see it as. I am sure Welland has spare signs from the retired buses they can retrofit. Need spare parts? Pick up a few extras if the budget allows for that and use it for parts. I am sure London has a nice giant stock pile of spare parts for both systems. MTB and the horrid Eastway can supply if needed. Those D40i's are probably only for a short term use and are used for more accessible options.

• 4 weeks later...