Welland Transit

ORION

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have some news from my visit to Welland.

1. Let's start with the special sightings: I spotted 1146 on the 1 Broadway/8 Woodlawn and 1152 on the 6 Ontario Road. It was rather unorthodox to see the 40 footers used on the downtown routes. However this is explained on the next part of the post.

2. For the first summer in recent memory, neither the Brock Link nor the N-O-T-L Link will be running during the summer. It turns out that Transit, not the school themselves, were paying for the route. This also explains the post above.

3. Bus 1154, the New Flyer XD35, was delivered last week. I unfortunately didn't get shots of it due to time constraints, as I had to rush back to St Catharines for my Megabus connection. I also learned this bus will be used primarily on the 9 Niagara Street for the first bit of its service run. Bus 1149, currently assigned to the 9, will be moved to the 5 Lincoln-Wellington.

4. The 4 Fitch will be returning on July 2nd. It will have a slightly different schedule, as one trip around the noon hour will, as I understand it, become a route 1, before returning as a 4.

I've heard conflicting reports regarding the retirement of the bus 1154 is replacing. Our charter operator told me that it might actually be one of the Orion Vs (either 116 or one of the 1994 baby Orion Vs). Once again, it's very difficult to interpret word of mouth from actual facts. I'll have to show up there again in the weeks ahead (after the BHA) to confirm these reports. I also fired off an email to Welland Transit to get some information about the XD35 and what it's replacing.

I've heard conflicting reports regarding the retirement of the bus 1154 is replacing. Our charter operator told me that it might actually be one of the Orion Vs (either 116 or one of the 1994 baby Orion Vs). Once again, it's very difficult to interpret word of mouth from actual facts. I'll have to show up there again in the weeks ahead (after the BHA) to confirm these reports. I also fired off an email to Welland Transit to get some information about the XD35 and what it's replacing.

You go down during the weekdays or on a Saturday?

Should have mentioned from being in Welland this past Monday. The two 40-foot New Flyers were out; 1146 doing routes 1 and 8. 1152 arrived at the terminal on route 2 Rice Road. 1138 the bus originally assigned to that route, was experiencing problems and was changed off as a result.

New schedule changes were made to the Port Colborne Link. Before, it only ran three trips a day. As of this past Monday, it will make 6 trips to allow better connections with the Regional buses. Another change-off today, only this time 1140 was having front suspension problems and was switched off with 1152. So today, the New Flyers took over routes 1 and 8.

I wonder if Welland Transit would consider "parking" some (all?) the Blue Birds until September. Looking at their roster, they have 9 other conventional buses (102, 103, 116, 1144, 1145, 1146, 1149, 1152, & 1153) and a variety of cutaways available for service on 7 conventional routes as well as the Port Colborne Link and Community bus.

I wonder if Welland Transit would consider "parking" some (all?) the Blue Birds until September. Looking at their roster, they have 9 other conventional buses (102, 103, 116, 1144, 1145, 1146, 1149, 1152, & 1153) and a variety of cutaways available for service on 7 conventional routes as well as the Port Colborne Link and Community bus.

I have not seen 1142 as of late....the newer WellTrans units 210, 211 and 212 are often used for the Port Colborne Link and Community Bus.

I doubt it. Too many of those are not wheelchair accessable and 102, 103 and 116 don't have a/c. Drivers would lose it. 102 and 103 did have a/c but due to the high cost and failure rate they were disconnected.

Well, 1154 has now officially entered service as of this past Monday. This unit has an air scoop at the rear and has 32 seats.

you are right the bus has been in service since Monday. I had an opportunity to drop by there today and saw it in service on route 9. No bluebirds have been retired yet since its arrival as they will try "band-aiding" them until the last minute according to the garage foreman. Surprisingly 40ft D40LFR 1146 was on route 1 today which is usually run with a 35ft.

IMG_7112.JPG

IMG_7123.JPG

IMG_7122.JPG

you are right the bus has been in service since Monday. I had an opportunity to drop by there today and saw it in service on route 9. No bluebirds have been retired yet since its arrival as they will try "band-aiding" them until the last minute according to the garage foreman. Surprisingly 40ft D40LFR 1146 was on route 1 today which is usually run with a 35ft.

Yeah, I was even told by the operator, that maybe but not certain, that 102 might retire. 1146 has been on the 1 & 8 as of late, with the Brock Link driver. Oh what time were you in Welland? I was there from 11:45 am till around 2:00.

Yeah, I was even told by the operator, that maybe but not certain, that 102 might retire. 1146 has been on the 1 & 8 as of late, with the Brock Link driver. Oh what time were you in Welland? I was there from 11:45 am till around 2:00.

I was there for the set of bus at 4:15pm~~

Welland got a very interesting fleet of 35ft buses right now, including Eldorado EZ riders(in both old styling and BRT styling), Blue Bird Ultra LF and now the NFI XD35. It would be awesome to have a photo opportunity of all 4 different buses together in one shot, probably in the next Welland charter?