Welland Transit

ORION

I have to wonder if it will spell the end to the orion V's as well?

the v's will stay in service for atleast another 3 years.. the 40's just got rebuilt and the 30ft's are going for rebuild.. welland rarely ever retires a bus

they only get 1 to 2 buses a year

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chance to visit the city of Welland today.

I took the GO bus to St Catharines, where I took 116 from Brock to Niagara College in Welland.

116.JPG

Orion V 102 was in service on Route 1 Broadway, due to a breakdown of the bus originally assigned to the route. In the words of the driver, "Today is Retro Friday" :lol:

102.JPG

I rode 102 to the Welland Transit Garage, where I got to explore the property to see some of their buses. I was mostly interested in finding their Orion Is. Unfortunately, the Orion Is don't go out very often.

While there, 1137 was parked in the maintenance bays signed for route 1, so I guess that`s the bus that broke down.

118.JPG 118_119.JPG

There were also a few retired buses remaining out behind the garage. I was hoping to get the Orion emblem from 117, but apparently there`s a lineup of drivers waiting for those emblems!

117.JPG 142.JPG

They also retired 2 cutaways. Didn't get the number of the second unit, but this one is 135. The other is for sure not 134, 136, 208, or 209.

(EDIT: comparing the above pic to the ones on the wiki, it appears to be unit 101.)

135.JPG

Thanks again to the great staff at Welland Transit!

EDIT 2: Almost forgot to mention, the buses are equipped with an AA system, though there was no voice yet. 116 didn't have it yet and didn't notice it on 118.

• 2 months later...

I was in Welland yesterday and found out the following. Bus 1149 is ready to be delivered. It is an ElDorado EZ Rider BRT 35 footer. It is going to be arriving in Welland sometime next week, and could be in service in about 2-3 weeks. I got a photo of it from a Welland Transit driver and scanned it this afternoon. Hope you like it.

Welland_Transit_1149.jpg

Also, the D40LFR was off the road due to a transmission problem. The bus that took its place on the N-O-T-L route was 119, Ex GET Orion I. It should be worth noting that 119 had a sign that didn't work.

100_2095__800x600_.jpg

I was in Welland yesterday and found out the following. Bus 1149 is ready to be delivered. It is an ElDorado EZ Rider BRT 35 footer. It is going to be arriving in Welland sometime next week, and could be in service in about 2-3 weeks. I got a photo of it from a Welland Transit driver and scanned it this afternoon. Hope you like it.

Interesting news ... it will be great to see one during the WT 119 charter in early May.

1149 also looks to have an extra set of Welland Transit decals on the roofline that the other ElDorados don't have.

1145.JPG

Also, did you find out if 1146 was being repaired on-site or off property? I was hoping it would be there for us.

Just got back from Welland to finalize some of my charter details.

1146 has returned to service, on its usual NOTL shuttle.

1149 will be arriving at some point next week, and according to the maintenance guy, it will likely be parking one of the Orion Is upon entering service. The maintenance guy asked me if I wanted to buy one (Here we go again :P )

119 was on charter duties (:) no, not mine!), for a seniors center.

I can also confirm that the second cutaway that they retired is in fact 101, which was parked on October 31st, 2010.

• 4 weeks later...

1149 is officially at the gararge, just needs the "Welland Transit" added. it will enter service very soon

and 119 will most likely be parked and/or retired after putting on a smoke show

1149 is officially at the gararge, just needs the "Welland Transit" added. it will enter service very soon

Did anyone else notice this on 1149:

DSCN3031.JPG

It's to check the tire pressure on the inside tire on the back end...pretty neat!

and 119 will most likely be parked and/or retired after putting on a smoke show

That's what I was told.

They also have 2 more buses on order to arrive later this year. These are supposed to be used for a new service to the St. Catharines Downtown Terminal later this year (September IIRC).

They also have 2 more buses on order to arrive later this year. These are supposed to be used for a new service to the St. Catharines Downtown Terminal later this year (September IIRC).

Is that gonna be just a rush hour Monday to Friday service or 6 day a week service?

DSCN3031.JPG

It's to check the tire pressure on the inside tire on the back end...pretty neat!

That's what I was told.

i was like "what is that?" when i noticed it, i'd say pretty neat as well haha

DSCN3031.JPG

Instead of one tire flat, this whole air pressure comes down together and it's easier both drivers and mechanics to see during inspection.

Now, I can't remember what product did Welland ordered for their AA system.

• 3 weeks later...
This guy made its way all the way up to Vaughan:

135b.JPG

It's sitting near the Lowes on McNaughton right off of Keele St. Quite visible from the YRT 22 and TTC 107D.

retired and sold maybe? i think i remember this one. it had quite a crappy welding job under the back door

• 1 month later...
retired and sold maybe? i think i remember this one. it had quite a crappy welding job under the back door

I have spotted ex-Welland 135 on two separate occasions during July, both times southbound on Jane Street turning onto Troutbrooke Drive. I have no idea of the purpose of the trips, but the seating appears intact. Sadly, no photos...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was in Welland today, Blue Bird LF 1139 appears to be repainted as it has the "WT" logo above the windows like on the Eldorado BRT 1149

the destination signs on 115 (Orion V) have malfunctioned for awhile. i can get the pics up if i can, seems it's no longer working for me.......

• 2 weeks later...

102 and 103 usually alternate on the 8 Woodlawn. The D40LFR is usually on the Niagara College/NOTL route. I haven't seen 118 since the charter. 136 and 206 on the other hand...that I don't know. The 40 foot Orion Vs also alternate on the Brock Link, as it's now called.