The Official Laval Metro Extension Thread

David D.

I figured I would bring back SMS' very popular and IMO very important thread, of Info and updates of the Laval Metro Extension Project. Now that it's nearing its Total Completion I think that it will begin to get very interesting in the next few months and remainder 8-11 months before its official inaugeration and opening.

It will begin to be talked about by the media and by the general public more and more I'm sure as the Important dates near.

So far, the latest news came just the other day and was reported by several media but unfortunaly not any AMT official was available for comment due to the long weekend.

Quote from LCN:

Mise à jour: 03/09/2006 16h30

LCN

20060903-163004-g.jpg

Transport en commun

Ouverture devancée pour le métro à Laval?

L'ouverture du métro de Laval sera à coup sûr devancée.

C'est ce qu'a soutenu le maire de Laval, Gilles Vaillancourt, au cours d'une entrevue à NTR.

M. Vaillancourt s'attend à ce que les stations Cartier, Concorde et Montmorency soient en fonction dès le printemps prochain.

L'ouverture était prévue en juillet 2007.

Le maire Vaillancourt a pu visiter les trois stations vendredi dernier en compagnie du premier ministre Jean Charest.

Il a constaté que les travaux étaient très avancés, que la signalisation était même posée à plusieurs endroits.

L'ingénieur en chef a aussi confirmé que les travailleurs avaient pris une longueur d'avance sur l'échéancier initial.

I heard something something on the news about opening up the new stations next spring instead of July!! I don't think this was an official statement from the AMT but lets just hope it becomes one. :):D

Well, some of us have already seen what the progress of the metro extension looks like, and I'd have to say that I believe it would be ready by spring. I can see them handing the project over to the STM by November infact, and the testing would begin shortly after until the opening in spring.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or does the trackbed look too skinny for two MR73's to pass through? :D Maybe it's the way the photo was taken?

I think it's just u.... Trust me I've been to all the stations...

---------------------------------------------

So what do u guys think of this station???

I like it, and im amazed how bright all the stations are in laval, i really though that this one would be the darkest out of the 3 and then the AMT goes and totally suprises me yet again!! BRAVO!!! These stations are all nice and unique and the brightness is really something. Even with royal blue/violet/dark blue panels!!

Something that i noticed, all the floors in all three stations at platform level seem the same to me, they look like they have been sanded down and they have fragments of glass in them which glitter when u walk on them slightly and it seems to reflect rather than obsorb the light, which helps make the station even brighter. I don't know very much about certain materials like what exactly was used for the floor but the best i can describe it to u is it is the same as what some people have as their front stairs or patios etc... either marble (i doubt it) or granit of some sort and sanded down/grinded. It is very sandy looking when dry but as soon as u wet it it becomes clear and then sandy again when dry. To me this is what it looks like they used. At first i thought it was dust or dirt but perhaps its not. Since nothing else is dirty, IE the walls and other things so why would only the entire floor be dirty YET NOT THE YELLOW RUBBER AT THE EDGE OF THE PLATFORM??? If thats clean then the floor must be clean most likely.

Something that i noticed, all the floors in all three stations at platform level seem the same to me, they look like they have been sanded down and they have fragments of glass in them which glitter when u walk on them slightly and it seems to reflect rather than obsorb the light, which helps make the station even brighter. I don't know very much about certain materials like what exactly was used for the floor but the best i can describe it to u is it is the same as what some people have as their front stairs or patios etc... either marble (i doubt it) or granit of some sort and sanded down/grinded. It is very sandy looking when dry but as soon as u wet it it becomes clear and then sandy again when dry. To me this is what it looks like they used. At first i thought it was dust or dirt but perhaps its not. Since nothing else is dirty, IE the walls and other things so why would only the entire floor be dirty YET NOT THE YELLOW RUBBER AT THE EDGE OF THE PLATFORM??? If thats clean then the floor must be clean most likely.

How did that floor surface feel underfoot - smooth, or rough like an anti-skid surface?

How did that floor surface feel underfoot - smooth, or rough like an anti-skid surface?

Well i touched it with my fingers as well, it wasnt like sand paper or anything from what I remember, smooth enough to the touch. But with my boots on it certainly didnt feel like the type of surface u could skid on.

Will there be any more tunnel tours?

I hope so.

Most likely there should be one for the test trials.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! :)

• 1 month later...

Updated again!!!!!! Tons of new photos!

http://www.amt.qc.ca/grandsprojets/metrola...hotos/index.asp

Lets hear your comments :D This time u can see more of the outside of the stations, bus terminals etc. Partially installed elevators, and and what do u think of the Grass on the wall at De La Concorde (I just knew they were going to do this from a waaay earlier photo from a year ago or more).

Now we are beginning to get in the running here as we draw ever so closer to the date. (Meaning most likely the spring)

Updated again!!!!!! Tons of new photos!

http://www.amt.qc.ca/grandsprojets/metrola...hotos/index.asp

Lets hear your comments :D This time u can see more of the outside of the stations, bus terminals etc. Partially installed elevators, and and what do u think of the Grass on the wall at De La Concorde (I just knew they were going to do this from a waaay earlier photo from a year ago or more).

Now we are beginning to get in the running here as we draw ever so closer to the date. (Meaning most likely the spring)

Wow, elevators for Cartier Station! Is this the very first ever for Metro station to have it?

Just don't get screwed as the rest of the station don't have elevators.

Wow, elevators for Cartier Station! Is this the very first ever for Metro station to have it?

Just don't get screwed as the rest of the station don't have elevators.

No all the laval stations have escalators and not just Cartier, as well as 12-15 others around MTL will eventually have them installed.

Actually there are elevators throughtout the new stations in laval, not just from platform to turnstile level like ur thinking, then u transfer to another elevator or evevators to the next level, or to the top. Cartier u will need to take two elevators, 4 do one floor, the other(s) does the other 2-3 floors. Pretty much the same for the other two stations as well.

Shouldn't all 3 of the new stations have elevators?

They do and will.

I see that they changed the font for the station name at Montmorency (picture 249). I preffered the old font, maybe it's because I'm used to it...

All the stations look 97-99% ready now, really nice!

Ya i agree with u about the font also lol.

• 5 weeks later...

Here is the latest update on the extension of the metro to laval.

ALL MAJOR CONTRUCTION OF THE EXTENSION IS NOW COMPLETE!!!!!!!!

According to CTV, the AMT announced today that all major contruction on the extension is now complete, and test trials are now taking place this weekend and the next. The AMT announced that the project will finish within the budget and within the schedule. However, Laval signed a contract 7 years ago stating that they will not pay more than 1.8 million dollars a year to help pay for the running of the service in their territory because that is what the city of Longueuil pays on the south shore apparently. But the president of the STM, Claude Trudel, is angry and says that it is not nearly enough and that he wants laval to pay for half of the estimated annual cost it will cost the STM a year to run it, which will be 8 million dollars, so he wants Laval to pay 4 Million. But the Mayor of Laval, Mr. Vaillancourt, stated and i quote "Mr. Trudel is acting like an adolescent who doesn't get his way, the contract was signed 7 years ago, and that is that." Well M. Trudel is threatening to not let service start by the opening date this summer unless Laval pays their fair share or what HE see's to be their fare share. Of course being the STM, they did not even include the extension and the extra cost they need to run it every year in their 2007 budget! Wow no surprise there!

Well i just hope that this can all be worked out by all parties involved before it delays anything any further!

Well the Mayor of Laval is so excited about the metro, and this type of thing tends to excite ALOT of people in general (Im sure even M. Trudel himself) that im sure this problem can be resolved in time before its scheduled opening.

On the news they showed Montmorency station right now and its was all set of for the mayor of Laval's press conference oh and BTW the escalators are even working!! :lol: How kool is that!

It is suffice to say that as I'm typing this is it possible that the first metro train has now gone to Laval!!! and i doubt these test trials this weekend and next was only for running maintenance vehicles on it! Because according to the schedule it should be actual metro's by now. And that would explain the actual closures of Henri-Bourassa and Sauve station (because i heard that they ran an maintenance vehicle last week, the vacuum train or somthing, that obviously didn't require any closures, why would it!?? LOL. Unless they were running trains on the new 3rd Henri-Bourassa platform and of course old ones, to Laval RIGHT!? :P ). Also, the signaling has pretty much already been installed so what they're probably doing right now is actually testing out the signals etc.. and like i said most likely running that first train to Laval, whether or not all the way to Montmorency or not as of yet, i suppose we could only speculate.

One of the articles i found on the net.

Article mis en ligne le 8 décembre 2006

À Laval : le métro ne roulera peut-être pas de sitôt

Claude Trudel, le président de la Société de transport de Montréal (STM) perd patience et prévient les municipalités membres de la Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal (CMM) que « le tronçon du métro de Montréal vers Laval n’ouvrira pas tant que l’on n’aura pas trouvé une formule de financement pour son exploitation et que la sécurité des usagers n’ait été assurée ».

M. Trudel, qui est également maire de l’arrondissement Verdun, participait à la Commission spéciale d'étude du budget 2007 du conseil d'agglomération, vendredi.

Selon le dernier échéancier dévoilé récemment, la STM prévoit que la mise en service du métro vers Laval aura lieu en juillet 2007. Ce week-end, et le suivant, la STM doit par ailleurs procéder à des tests sur le nouveau tronçon, ce qui forcera la fermeture des stations Henri-Bourassa et Sauvé.

M. Trudel presse les autres municipalités membres de la CMM de faire leur part : « Il n’est pas question que les Montréalais défraient seuls les frais d’exploitation, d’entretien et d’éventuelles immobilisations du prolongement du métro de Montréal vers Laval. »

« En effet, la STM n’opérera pas ce tronçon tant que les négociations amorcées avec ses partenaires de la CMM n’auront pas fait l’objet d’une entente et débouchées sur une solution financière satisfaisante », ajoute M. Trudel.

"Within budget", eh? :lol:

How soon we forget that this extension ran way overbudget--a legacy left over from the PQ govt.

And guess who pays for this? Why, us taxpayers, of course, who else? :P

I wonder if this would have happened if the PQ had funded the STM to extend one of the Metro lines on the island instead: like the Blue Line, for example?!

Dream on! :lol:

"Within budget", eh? :lol:

Yes i should have said, "within the latest budget that was set" lol, not the initial one lol. Anyways let's not get into this fiasco lol. Metro's run on rails so lets try not to derail my topic that is about exactly that :) Trying to get this metro running on its newly laid out rails. :rolleyes:

Well I finally took the time to look at the photo updates and download them to my computer and I am very impressed with the work. 800+ million sure buys you an attractive looking metro extension. Now let's see if it's worth every penny.

One thing I'd like to bring up is that the stairs from the platform to the mezzanine are very wide, in particular Cartier. And this makes me very pleased. No Cote-Vertu or Henri-Bourassa boondoggle! Useless thin staircases? Forget it, they learned from the good example of Berri UQAM disembarkation platform, and Honore-Beaugrand too. (I think Dave has some choice words for Angrignon, though)

One thing I'd like to bring up is that the stairs from the platform to the mezzanine are very wide, in particular Cartier. And this makes me very pleased. No Cote-Vertu or Henri-Bourassa boondoggle! Useless thin staircases? Forget it, they learned from the good example of Berri UQAM disembarkation platform, and Honore-Beaugrand too. (I think Dave has some choice words for Angrignon, though)

Hehe about ANG.

Yes but Montmorency is the same as Cartier's as well, but only one staircase on each platform is like that both at Cartier and Montmorency, IE 4 lanes/ailes in the staircase, only the one without the elevator has that. The other side of it with the elevator has only 3 ailes/lanes. But even the one's with 3 is a huge improvement over most stations! And with the one's 4 at both CAR and MOY are bloody amazing! Basically means no wait for the stairs.

However, there is one problem, I don't believe that 2 escalators when it comes to Cartier and Montmorency stations will be enough once the HUGE crowd passes the turnstiles and then what?? Everyone merge onto one escalator to go up now! That or run for the elevators near the changeurs box, OR take the stairs, the huge wide staircases next to the escalator will surely handle the crowds but people will be mad if they have to take the stairs all the time if they dont want to wait for the elevator or the backup on the escalator. Cartier won't be a big deal because i walked up those stairs before and their built very well unlike ANG where u feel extra tired or out of breath from them, Cartier's were done well and its not that deep anyways. But Montmorency might be a bigger problem because it is much more deep when it comes to that staircase.

They can switch to have 2 escalators going up. But there are other busier stations like Guy-Concordia with the crowds and all but only one up one down. You know?

Well IMO Guy-Concordia works well because there's always a good steady stream of people coming in but never a crazy crazy amount all at once. And when it comes to exiting ya alot of people are getting off there all the time but the long walk on the platform helps seperate the crowd before the first set of steps and the escalators for the most part. Also the whole train never unloads at Guy lol. But Cartier and Montmorency will have the potential to have half of the full train unloading at each, or as chance dictates possibly a full crushloaded train emptying at one of those two alone! Well the platform will empty out quite smoothly nicely and quickly but overcrowding looks highly possible between the turnstiles and the stairs/elevators/escalators to the Kiosk or lower Kiosk's due to only one up! Unless like u say they make both of them go up in the afternoon rush which would pretty much solve that problem but i just thought that these are things that they would want try to avoid, u know inconviencing the people going the opposite way all of these years like at Henri-Bourassa! LOL. I thought they would have avoided that situation, but i suppose since there will be elevators now if u really can't or dont want to walk down the stairs then just take the elevator lol. Of course De La Concorde station won't have any problems I'm sure, might only be crowded at certain times when a commuter train arrives or a couple buses at the same time but overall no problems there.

I have my doubts that the predicted volumes of Metro users from Laval will be anywhere near what they would be if they had extended our existing on-island lines instead.

I always thought it was a slap in the face for the PQ to brush us aside, simply in the hope they'd get votes, considering all of the previously-proposed extensions to Ville d'Anjou and the west end.

Let's hope that never happens again!