hl7534

Transit Pet Peeves

On 8/24/2018 at 7:36 PM, dudebrains said:

Here are my pet peeves:

-Next stop announcements that are so low they are as useful as no announcements at all.

-Scrolling Destination signs (Especially in the front)

-Transit agencies that do not have a “standard” style for destination sign programming (aka the STO)

-People that refuse to give up courtesy seating

-People that smoke & leave garbage at bus stops

and last but not least:

-Rude drivers

Pretty much spot on for me, but especially the first 4. My transit system used to have a "standard" style for the headsigns, but over the past few years has been updating and now there's no standard.
For example:
DESTINATION / VIA (7 Port Orange / 7 Via South Nova)
ROUTE NAME to / DESTINATION (10 Medical Center to / 10 Volusia Mall)
ROAD to / DESTINATION (11 Mason Ave to / 11 Volusia Mall)
ROAD / to DESTINATION (15 Orange Ave / 15 To South & Keech)
DIRECTION to / DESTINATION (20 North to DeLand)
To DESTINATION (31 To DeLand)

People who complain because they have to wait a whole 5 or 10 minutes for the next bus. Try a whole hour pal! 

People that aren't prepared when boarding the bus

Two of my pet peeves are when ETS chose to put 40 foot buses on the No. 9 route during peak hours as well as the blue, slippery plastic seats on the 7000 series Xcelsiors. Not good.

2 hours ago, Nico Sander said:

Two of my pet peeves are when ETS chose to put 40 foot buses on the No. 9 route during peak hours as well as the blue, slippery plastic seats on the 7000 series Xcelsiors. Not good.

Agree about the route 9. However I like the hard blue seats. I have a problem in my leg (IT Band syndrome) and I find the hard blue seats very comfortable because they don't press up on my leg like the seats with the dip in the center and the edges.

11 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Agree about the route 9. However I like the hard blue seats. I have a problem in my leg (IT Band syndrome) and I find the hard blue seats very comfortable because they don't press up on my leg like the seats with the dip in the center and the edges.

I do agree about the seats for the most part. The thing I don’t like is when I’m sitting on the sideways seats at the front and the bus turns, making me slide around to the point where I have to grab a pole to avoid falling off. Mom has MS and has to stay at the front so that’s why I’m up there usually.

23 minutes ago, Nico Sander said:

I do agree about the seats for the most part. The thing I don’t like is when I’m sitting on the sideways seats at the front and the bus turns, making me slide around to the point where I have to grab a pole to avoid falling off. Mom has MS and has to stay at the front so that’s why I’m up there usually.

Yeah, the seats are slippery, but just hold on. Especially tell mom to hold on. Another nice thing is that they can be cleaned easily, less chance of bring home dirt and / or bugs. 

50 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Yeah, the seats are slippery, but just hold on. Especially tell mom to hold on. Another nice thing is that they can be cleaned easily, less chance of bring home dirt and / or bugs. 

I've often thought this too, I much prefer plastic seating because they're much easier to clean. The question is, how often do they get cleaned??? I would hope nightly (preventive measures) but I feel that that's too optimistic.