hl7534

Transit Pet Peeves

When someone comes onto the bus and they had just got done smoking weed, they blow their last puff of smoke into the bus not caring about anyone else. It just happened on the 38 the other night and of course I coughed when the fumes hit me. I said, "Come on guy, really?" That guy was as high as a kite with his girlfriend so they didn't care.

I'm sort of guilt of this...I've taken transit after smoking weed lots of times but never blew smoke on the bus. That's just dumb.

Walking up to a bus stop and then being forced to wait a half-hour until the next bus arrives.

Mine would have to be buses that show up very early to the stop, and don't hold their required timing point. Where I live, it's essentially an hourly community shuttle, and my bus stop is a timing point. Of course, I know they're always early and never wait at the timing point, so I try to arrive 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.

Personally bothers me of how some people call buses "Her" and not "it"

This is done a lot, not just about buses but a lot of vehicles in general. If you crack open a book about the Titanic, you'll probably see the term being used as well.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Personally bothers me of how some people call buses "Her" and not "it"

Why doesn't anyone call them "him"? :P If we're gonna personify vehcles, I think some of them would be "him" and others "her".

Why doesn't anyone call them "him"? :P If we're gonna personify vehcles, I think some of them would be "him" and others "her".

It's not a personification, it's just an old, literary term.

It's not a personification, it's just an old, literary term.

Ah, ok. I see this term applied to ships a lot of times in literature.

Ah, ok. I see this term applied to ships a lot of times in literature.

Actually many vehicles are called 'she', not just ships.

Many languages have nouns assigned a certain gender. For example in German there are three forms of the word 'the' - der, die, das. Der is the masculine assignment, das is the feminine assignment and die is the neutral assignment. You've probably heard phrases that contain - das auto (the auto) das boot (the boat)... so because this language assigns these items a feminine 'the', then perhaps this is why these items are a 'she'.

Actually many vehicles are called 'she', not just ships.

Many languages have nouns assigned a certain gender. For example in German there are three forms of the word 'the' - der, die, das. Der is the masculine assignment, das is the feminine assignment and die is the neutral assignment. You've probably heard phrases that contain - das auto (the auto) das boot (the boat)... so because this language assigns these items a feminine 'the', then perhaps this is why these items are a 'she'.

Actually, das is the neutral assignment, and die is the feminine or plural one. Interestingly enough, in French there's a distinction of "they" between masculine plural (ils) and feminine plural (elles). But in German "the" is der (masculine single), das (neutral single) , die (feminine single), and die (masculine/neutral/feminine plural). But each language is different, whereas in one language a noun may be feminine in another it would be masculine or neutral for that matter. Furthermore, the same language may have more than one word to describe a noun, and those words may also have different gender. For example, "car" in Russian is "машина" (mashina), which is feminine, but the synonymous term "автомобиль" (automobile) is masculine.

Actually, das is the neutral assignment, and die is the feminine one. But each language is different, whereas in one language a noun may be feminine in another it would be masculine or neutral for that matter. Furthermore, the same language may have more than one word to describe a noun, and those words may also have different gender. For example, "car" in Russian is "машина" (mashina), which is feminine, but the synonymous term "автомобиль" (automobile) is masculine.

Yeah, it's not as common in English, but especially a lot of European languages have words that are assigned to a certain gender. For example, in Slovak, a tram is called an električka (pronounced elektrichka) and the presence of the "a" at the end of the word results in the fact that any time the word is used it automatically calls for the usage of feminine words (i.e. 7720 has been retired from service. She was involved in an accident in February 2014 and irreparably damaged). On the flipside, a trolleybus is a masculine term.

Yeah, it's not as common in English, but especially a lot of European languages have words that are assigned to a certain gender. For example, in Slovak, a tram is called an električka (pronounced elektrichka) and the presence of the "a" at the end of the word results in the fact that any time the word is used it automatically calls for the usage of feminine words (i.e. 7720 has been retired from service. She was involved in an accident in February 2014 and irreparably damaged). On the flipside, a trolleybus is a masculine term.

Yeah, it's the same in Russian, except that "elektrichka" refers not to trams but to electrified commuter rail (kind-of like GO transit, but electric) :P

This is done a lot, not just about buses but a lot of vehicles in general. If you crack open a book about the Titanic, you'll probably see the term being used as well.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Yeah it is just a habbit for a lot of vehicle people. I've even joked around and said stuff like, "She's a goner." :P

Yeah it is just a habbit for a lot of vehicle people. I've even joked around and said stuff like, "She's a goner." :P

Gotta agree with you. XD

For me as a bus fan and passenger who talks to drivers my pet peeve is people who don't stand behind the yellow line on the bus. Not only is it a safety issue its a liability issue. Also folks who run between moving buses one day somebody is going to get baldly injured.

On a facebook group, I simply Asked "What is bus "x" in your agency?" And "where does route "x" go?"

So many drivers and enthusiasts followed up and asked the same question. Thats 9998 unit numbers and 998 routes to burn through.

This one I cant really help, but half-crowded 135, couldnt move, and a homeless guy, who smelt like smoke, entered through the back. I was holding my breath from main street to Granville street.

This one I cant really help, but half-crowded 135, couldnt move, and a homeless guy, who smelt like smoke, entered through the back. I was holding my breath from main street to Granville street.

yeah, some of those guys are really rank.

This is a very minor thing, but a peeve of mine is when someone comes up and asks you for help on how to get downtown, you tell them the best and quickest way to get there, but when the stop comes up, they want to follow how the map tells them to go which takes much longer to go to the same destination. I don't know, it's a minor thing, but it just bugs me a little bit.

Between trust issues and poor listening skills, this is a very common occurrence.

When I worked at info, I was amazed at the number of people who expected that the instructions they were going to being given was going to be a single bus. However, when their trip plan involved a bus or two and transfer connections at specific locations, most people asked me to repeat the instructions (sometimes a few times in great detail). I finally started telling people before hand, to please write this down...

Witnessed three events on the bus today that make me wonder if the endless grouching from the baby boomers about how this generation is the most (insert disparaging remark of your choice) one yet has some weight after all...

(These are all high school students.)

-guy comes on the bus, does not put sufficient fare into the farebox. After about 5 minutes of fishing in his backpack for the balance, the driver tells him to leave it and to have his fare ready next time. Not a word of thanks to the driver for being lenient and allowing him to ride with a discount!

-driver explains how to work the back doors (touch strips). Bus comes to a stop. Passenger stares expectantly at the door and then at the driver, as though he has committed a slight against her. Driver shouts to the back to explain what to do. She gives no indication that she heard him (c'mon, your headphones can't be that loud), then walks to the front and does not say a word to the driver.

-guy decides to blast his shitty rap music to the rest of the bus, second day in a row. No word from the other passengers, including myself, as we don't know if we'll get punched in the face for asking him to not play the music.

Sigh :( We're not all bad, guys, I promise :P