Sightings at the Nova Bus factory

It's not really a garage sighting but as I was on A15 sud direction New York Interstate 87, at the first weight station at the border I saw a grey Nova LFS 3rd gen probably from the Plattsburgh plant. To me it looked like translink specs but I cannot be sure. I wonder if they are building Canadian buses in USA.

It's not really a garage sighting but as I was on A15 sud direction New York Interstate 87, at the first weight station at the border I saw a grey Nova LFS 3rd gen probably from the Plattsburgh plant. To me it looked like translink specs but I cannot be sure. I wonder if they are building Canadian buses in USA.

Yes, the BCT and TransLink orders were supposed to be assembled in Plattsburgh. Or part of them anyway, as it would appear some may have been built at St-Eustache. I suppose that once we have the serial numbers for all of them we should be able to identify the actual assembly plant.

• 2 months later...
So St-Eustache is working on both the TransLink and BC Transit orders... Is there any evidence of buses assembled in Plattsburgh this far?

9501 was built in Plattsburgh and has a VIN beginning with 4RK. The plant code is 4000 vs 3000 for Ste. Eustache and 9501 is serial 94000049.

The first three units built at Plattsburgh were demos and we have about 20 TransLink units unaccounted for. New York City has recieved two

Plattsburgh-built units but they are likely built after 9501.

9501 was built in Plattsburgh and has a VIN beginning with 4RK. The plant code is 4000 vs 3000 for Ste. Eustache and 9501 is serial 94000049.

The first three units built at Plattsburgh were demos and we have about 20 TransLink units unaccounted for. New York City has recieved two

Plattsburgh-built units but they are likely built after 9501.

9488 is the highest Ste. Eustache-built unit observed so far. These are all offset hybrid units until 9542 which is a centred diesel and the first unit of

the option which is up to 110 buses. It might be awhile before we get final VINs as many of these are being delivered directly to Whistler

for the 2010 Olympics. NovaBus has confirmed that the entire order will be delivered in time, so both plants must really be scrambling as

some Ontario transit systems are also expecting deliveries within the next couple of weeks

RE the 110, I sincerely doubt there really are this many coming as they will run out of fleet numbers at 9599 and then start running into the 2008

batch which started at 9600; had they planned on going beyone there they likely would have picked a different number series for the entire diesel order

so I believe there are no more than 58 units (maybe 55 this year and 55 next year??)

Oh yeah, Walt Disney World has an order for 10 Nova LFS and they will also have been delivered by now

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (A. Aikman @ Aug 8 2009, 02:53 PM) *

Ok. I Emailed Nova Bus but they never sent a reply.

NovaBUS Fan post March 21st, 2010, 09:45 PM

i'm waiting for a reply for when rtl t-drives r coming

If he didn't get a reply in 8 months, then they probably won't be replying... Original poster message date was August 9th, 2009!

• 7 months later...

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here it is.

I found this diesel 3rd gen LFSA demo a few days ago. I originally thought it was for Trans-Expo but it wasn't there, so it must be on a west coast tour of sorts. Anyways it doesn't look like this one has been reported (unless its a former unit with a new wrap) so I'm asking for your help.

Here's a photo of it, a bit poor in quality but it's better than nothing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/5...57625289450599/

Feel free to pass this onto the French speaking forums for me as my French is a bit poor :rolleyes:

Chris Cassidy

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here it is.

I found this diesel 3rd gen LFSA demo a few days ago. I originally thought it was for Trans-Expo but it wasn't there, so it must be on a west coast tour of sorts. Anyways it doesn't look like this one has been reported (unless its a former unit with a new wrap) so I'm asking for your help.

Here's a photo of it, a bit poor in quality but it's better than nothing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/5...57625289450599/

Feel free to pass this onto the French speaking forums for me as my French is a bit poor ^_^

Chris Cassidy

Interesting, the livery almost looks identical to the 40-foot 2011 LFX.

1000852c.jpg

(Photo by ArticPAG1)

novademo2011.jpg

(Photo by J.Matte)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Passed by Nova Bus on Sunday to see if any units were doing road tests, as some have spotted them doing this on Sunday, not thinking about the holiday weekend.

Spotted a bunch of RTL and RTC Hybrids at the back of the facility.

STO 1601 (LFS Artic HEV) was parked at the front of the facility

The RTL is proud of the fact that they will have the largest fleet of hybrid electric buses in the province. Drivers on the other hand...

The RTL is proud of the fact that they will have the largest fleet of hybrid electric buses in the province. Drivers on the other hand...

How about the STM? I heard that they ordered like 200 but when are they receiving them?

How about the STM? I heard that they ordered like 200 but when are they receiving them?

Never that was cancelled. They ran out of money two years ago with the whole rebranding they did with the new slogan and STM chevron logo. They are getting a small quantity of hybrids in 2016 with A/C I believe.

Yeah RTL has the largest fleet of POS crap buses in Quebec! Congradulations...

How bad are they? They sound like they're as bad as all the Orion hybrids in Toronto.

Did all the TTC LFS 8400-8504 order leave the plant yet?

Pretty sure all of them are in Toronto now. Probably have been before the end of the 2015. I don't think the 2016 order will start production till around summer.

How bad are they? They sound like they're as bad as all the Orion hybrids in Toronto.

The RTL adjusted the hybrids to have extremely slow acceleration from a stop to justify fuel economy. Other systems like ST-Saguenay didn't do this and noticed no fuel savings compaired to a regular diesel LFS, hence why they returned back to ordering diesel buses.

Another reason I hate driving the hybrids is the fact that these are the first buses in the RTL that come with the retarder that kicks in as soon as you take your foot off the gas pedal. This isn't ideal in snowy or icy conditions and the rear slides out and you can't coast to a stop by simply leatting your foot off the gas. It causes drivers to hit the breaks when sliding and causes the bus to jerk violently and slide everytime before coming to a stop.

Did all the TTC LFS 8400-8504 order leave the plant yet?

When I did a tour of Nova Bus in November there was a bunch there. From what I saw when I drove by on the 640, where the TTC buses were parked thay were replaced by RTL and RTC Hybrids. There was no sign of of a TTC LFS on the outside of the facility, the inside may be a different story.

In my opinion, the Nova product is far better than the Orion equivalent - Nova is not in danger of going bankrupt like its erstwhile competitor.

21611 has arrived at Garage Longueuil but awaits to be prepped. It has been unceremoniously parked out back.

In my opinion, the Nova product is far better than the Orion equivalent - Nova is not in danger of going bankrupt like its erstwhile competitor.

Orion didn't actually go bankrupt when they left the market in 2012 -- the parent company (Daimler) just shut them down. Though without Daimler's deep pockets, who knows what would have happened.

• 2 months later...

I went by Nova Bus today the first time in my car and saw several STM hybrids, other hybrids, many Artic hybrids for RTC or STO, and many Brampton Transit units.

Since I heard that STO 1601 was returned back to Nova Bus for modifications, I wonder when will their artic hybrids enter service.