Sightings at the Nova Bus factory

SMS

Sightings at Nova Bus today included STM hybrid 36-015 and several others with full livery, two Nova electric prototypes including the one seen at Trans-Expo, and RTC Quebec artic hybrids. For the RTC artic hybrids, the paint job hasn't started yet, but they will be numbered 1651- and feature frameless windows (like 1501-1531) as well as featuring frameless electric doors like RTC 1499, STM 33-999, and Saguenay/Trois-Rivières/Sherbrooke hybrids.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, anyfong said:

Sightings at Nova Bus today included STM hybrid 36-015 and several others with full livery, two Nova electric prototypes including the one seen at Trans-Expo, and RTC Quebec artic hybrids. For the RTC artic hybrids, the paint job hasn't started yet, but they will be numbered 1651- and feature frameless windows (like 1501-1531) as well as featuring frameless electric doors like RTC 1499, STM 33-999, and Saguenay/Trois-Rivières/Sherbrooke hybrids.

F.Y.I RTC paint job is not done at Novabus, it's done in Montmagny (Nova does stripping that's it)

48 minutes ago, eclair14 said:

F.Y.I RTC paint job is not done at Novabus, it's done in Montmagny (Nova does stripping that's it)

Yeah I know that, I've seen several Nova Buses at Montmagny in Google Street View. I wonder if that plant is owned by Nova Bus or one of the transit authorities there or if it is a 3rd party contractor. Also I believe the York Region Transit Nova Buses have the paint job done there; somebody photographed it near Montmagny if I recall correctly.

EDIT: Contradictory about what you said about the paint job done in Montmagny, I do recall seeing a photo of an RTC hybrid in full livery driving on the A-40 from St-Eustache to Quebec and it was taken near Trois-Rivières.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, 21 Brimley said:

Any TTC units from the #8510-#8617 batch built or completed/to be delivered? 

From what I've seen earlier this month there are still many TTC buses there, possibly up to 20.

13 hours ago, MTL66 said:

It sits at the back of Nova Bus beside the retired demos and ex-stm 1st gens.

Which specific demos are there? I didn't really notice them there as I was too concentrated on the artic hybrids.

10 hours ago, anyfong said:

Which specific demos are there? I didn't really notice them there as I was too concentrated on the artic hybrids.

Various diesel and hybrid demos, they cannot be seen from the road, I noticed them while on the tour of Nova Bus with Transport2000.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MTL66 said:

Various diesel and hybrid demos, they cannot be seen from the road, I noticed them while on the tour of Nova Bus with Transport2000.

Did you see RTC 1499 / STM 33-999 there? Is any transit agency buying that bus? And will Transport 2000 organise another tour there?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, SMS said:

Finally a bus worthy of Montreal. When will it be Longueuil's turn?

Well, probably never. The A/C costs an additional $30,000 per bus and the RTL would probably think it's a waste of money. Also the frameless windows are a lot better than the locked sliding windows in earlier STM hybrids like 36-001 and I wonder why STM didn't choose them in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2016 at 10:44 AM, anyfong said:

I wonder how much it costs additionally to add the frameless windows.

In a Gillig contract from 4 years ago, where fixed hidden frame windows were in the base contract, fixed standard frame provided a $1527 credit.

Fixed transom gave a $502 credit, and hidden frame with transom cost $1850.  Sliding is only available on standard windows.

These costs are for Ricon windows.  Arow and Dura are different.

Not included in this is the extra maintenance cost, and the cost of extra fuel burned from the extra weight.

• Like 1

On 2016-08-16 at 0:40 AM, AMG said:

In a Gillig contract from 4 years ago, where fixed hidden frame windows were in the base contract, fixed standard frame provided a $1527 credit.

Fixed transom gave a $502 credit, and hidden frame with transom cost $1850.  Sliding is only available on standard windows.

These costs are for Ricon windows.  Arow and Dura are different.

Not included in this is the extra maintenance cost, and the cost of extra fuel burned from the extra weight.

Those costs may very well be somewhat flexible as well, depending on the size of the order and how desperate the manufacturer is to get the order.

Dan

20 hours ago, smallspy said:

Those costs may very well be somewhat flexible as well, depending on the size of the order and how desperate the manufacturer is to get the order.

Dan

True for both Gillig and the window supplier.  Pricing like this is really just an example.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, OCSTOFan said:

We're they're any 40ft RTC hybrids as well as articulated hybrids at the factory?

I saw some 40 ft hybrids with frameless windows and the front roof while on the highway. Of course I cannot stop there, so I cannot see the fleet numbers. But that could be it.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I saw at the Nova Bus plant a hybrid with sliding windows and with the STM poster (Un bus = 50 autos) on its side. I didn't see any fleet number on it, but is the STM reverting some or all the buses back to the old windows? I also posted this picture to a facebook group but never came up with a conclusive answer about it.

IMG_7107(1).jpg