Sightings at the Nova Bus factory

SMS

Let's not poison this thread.

If some artics are ready to go, then I can only imagine that they are for the STM, since we seem to be prepared to house them

But then again, we are only supposed to take delivery in June.

Does anyone have any official word on RTL ordering artics? Did they even order any?

What about STO?

They could always take early delivery of them, and perform tests before running them in service.

Let's look the RTC case, drivers schedule are canned until mid-june, so until summer schedule, and since artics will run on 800-801 ONLY (no route 50 !) , they need to seriously change drivers schedule and since the new garage is 7km away from the main depot (but less than 2 from my job). The garage could be ready for early to mid may so this could be a logical timeline.

Artics reception during early may

Training mid-may - mid june

Revenue service - mid june

Or they will start the new "artics" schedule with std. 40 footers

B.T.W - RTC will receive 25 artics i think this year

Went by the Novabus plant this morning and nothing has changed in the back. The 3 new all white Nova artics are still at the back next to 2 new 3rd gen all white LFS's. There's another new artic in the back with a blue and teal paint scheme. I've never seen this scheme before, but it could be another demo bus. I personlly don't think its for a TA. IN the front of the plant are 4 all white 2nd gens ready for delivery and there not for the STM as they don't have the front wheelchair doors. They look like Guelph Transit specs to me..

Let's not poison this thread.

If some artics are ready to go, then I can only imagine that they are for the STM, since we seem to be prepared to house them

But then again, we are only supposed to take delivery in June.

Does anyone have any official word on RTL ordering artics? Did they even order any?

What about STO?

They could always take early delivery of them, and perform tests before running them in service.

They must have a deal with OC Transpo in regards to maintaining them. OC has the facilities to maintain artics as STO does not and I don't see STO building an addition just for the artics. This may have something to do with the rumor of STO taking over maintenance of OC Transpo 1st gens [which from my point of view makes no sense].

BREAKING NEWS !

According to busfanplace.com website, RTC will receive 19 artics during the month of may ( :) ) with the following VIN Numbers

0937 2NVYS92U193000243

0938 2NVYS92U393000244

0939 2NVYS92U593000245

0940 2NVYS92U793000246

0941 2NVYS92U993000247

0942 2NVYS92U493000253

0943 2NVYS92U693000254

0944 2NVYS92U893000255

0945 2NVYS92UX93000256

0946 2NVYS92U193000257

0947 2NVYS92U393000258

0948 2NVYS92U593000259

0949 2NVYS92U193000260

0950 2NVYS92U393000261

0951 2NVYS92U593000262

0952 2NVYS92U693000268

0953 2NVYS92U893000269

0954 2NVYS92U493000270

0955 2NVYS92U693000271

0956 2NVYS92U893000272

That means the first artic will be the 243 bus of 2009 for Nova. Now , let's do mathematics

0921 (last spring delivery ) 2NVYL82U893000179

Others bus produced during that time - STO ? STL ? Other agencies

0937 (first artic) 2NVYS92U193000243

So, RTC, RTL or STO (will be surprising) has a good chance to receive first actics, since wedge a STM artic order between those serial numbers look difficult

BREAKING NEWS !

According to busfanplace.com website, RTC will receive 19 artics during the month of may ( :) ) with the following VIN Numbers

That means the first artic will be the 243 bus of 2009 for Nova. Now , let's do mathematics

So, RTC, RTL or STO (will be surprising) has a good chance to receive first actics, since wedge a STM artic order between those serial numbers look difficult

It's 20 artics.

And crap, I won't be able see it when I visit by the end of April!

BREAKING NEWS !

This doesn't mean buses 180 to 242 won't all be 40ft standard which could be the case, as just last week I saw more standard LFS buses being made. The RTC maybe the first to get the artics, as the STM is expecting a second batch of 29's first before the artics come in. The STM's 2009 order of artics is not 202 for 09 btw.. that's the total for 3 years. I think the STM is getting 54 this year IIRC.. Also, those VIN numbers could possibly be totally unrelated for standard and artic buses..

This doesn't mean buses 180 to 242 won't all be 40ft standard which could be the case, as just last week I saw more standard LFS buses being made. The RTC maybe the first to get the artics, as the STM is expecting a second batch of 29's first before the artics come in. The STM's 2009 order of artics is not 202 for 09 btw.. that's the total for 3 years. I think the STM is getting 54 this year IIRC.. Also, those VIN numbers could possibly be totally unrelated for standard and artic buses..

I know. Those numbers were the total that you had all come up with for the orders.

I think the STM is getting 54 this year IIRC.. Also, those VIN numbers could possibly be totally unrelated for standard and artic buses..

Something in the serial number will be different for 40 footers and 60 footers which will be distinguished by a different letter, me thinks.

I heard we are getting 58 this year. Can't remember what news site I saw it on.

On the issue of artic numbers.

No one really know how many we are getting, unless you work for Nova or the STM's fleet division.

IMO the exact number is abitrary, as long as we have a general idea how many we will get, it's good enough until the order arrives.

Media outlets cand easily fudge the number by a few buses.

And I agree that chances are they will differentiate the VIN's somewhow.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how other manufacturers do this, in particular NFI, since they offer the largest variety on the market.

Also, we do seem to be trailling into talking about the STM's artics in general, so it might be a good idea to continue this discussion in a dedicated thread.

All sightings at the NovaFacotory of course, belong here. I am suggesting this for ease of access at a later date, one might not thing to search this thread for info relating to the STM's artics, and good stuff might otherwise be lost.

I don't believe a general thread exists already, so go nuts!

Well STO is likely as STO has a advantage that most transit agencies don't have, they have a neighboring transit agency that they are on good terms with that has articulated buses. So a deal could be possible in terms of maintenance as apparently STO now does the required maintenance on our first gen LFSs so this could be part of a deal. Of course no one has yet to see a OC LFS at the STO Garage so we have yet to see if this is correct.

So STO could house these things and OC Transpo can do the required maintenance on them. So really STO could get these things as soon as possible and there would be no problems.

Well, no one seeing them at the STO garage could be simply the fact that it's a bitch to get to (and get back, as the 21s conveniently cross each other there) unless you have a car, and even then, it's nearly impossible to see much inside the lot except for what's parked near the entrance.

And when we do get them, I better not see them on routes like the 62.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if our 0901 is supposed to be the replacement for 0514(BBQ)? We usually get our buses in late May/early June, and I haven't seen any other '09s roaming around since I rode 0901. Then again, if they've managed fine up until this point, I don't see why they'd need to replace one bus.

Mind you, if 0901 is having transmission problems, then it wouldn't surprise me if they grounded it as well as any other '09s until they know it's fixed.

Went by the Nova plant this morning and there's pretty much nothing new. There 3 all white suburban LFS's with old rear configuration parked out front ready for delivery. In the back is about 6 new Nova artics all white with 2 all white full back LFS's.

• 2 weeks later...

Some news from Nova as I talked to one of them at OTE.

The "closet rear" or offset powertrain has now discontinued about 2 weeks ago. They are producing the T-drive centre from now on.

Last transit to have the old rear end in Ontario would be in Brampton but not the last production. The last production would have to be somewhere in Quebec, perhaps Montreal would be the one?

First T-drive will be in Montreal and already a few are done building it, so expect to be in delivery very soon!

The "closet rear" or offset powertrain has now discontinued about 2 weeks ago. They are producing the T-drive centre from now on.

Last transit to have the old rear end in Ontario would be in Brampton but not the last production. The last production would have to be somewhere in Quebec, perhaps Montreal would be the one?

First T-drive will be in Montreal and already a few are done building it, so expect to be in delivery very soon!

FINALLY! As for the last production for the closet LFS, might be STO as they just got a bunch of LFSs with the old rear end.

This is a JTT confirmation! The STM was probably the last TA to get the old rear, as 29-060 to 071 have not entered service yet and we know they have the old rear. The next 20 STM buses after will be at Lasalle in the next 2 weeks as mentioned with the new full back. If some are done, they could be in town by next week! People in LA land be on the lookout!

You didn't ask who those 6 artics are going to by any chance did you? Was there any more there since the last time?

All of the STL 09XX have the old floor like the 08xx layout with the wardrobe in the back.

They have an attitude of wait and see (conservative) when it comes to buses but they are pretty imaginative when it comes to everything else.

Maybe next year they will buy the new layout but this year they stay with the old recipe.