GMC New Looks in Ottawa 1961-2007

ikarus8737

I'm not exactly sure when OC started painting the New looks but I do know the Maple Leaf ones came after the all white ones with the red stripe,

The only reason OC started painting the New Looks all white was because the company that provided the Silver panels where no longer offering them in stainless steel but a olive green colour.

If you go to the OC group in the files section you can see a list of the painted New Looks. Can't remeber if says when they were painted.

I seem to remember that the older buses (7500s and earlier) were never repainted, so perhaps it was near when those were retired. I have a photo I took in 2000, which was when I first noticed the new paint scheme:

http://www.tomsbuspage.ca/OCTranspo/OC7909.jpg

Speaking ou useless tax dollars being spent, why are they wasting money repainting some of the 4000 series? 4019 was in fine shape and did not need new paint!! Also buses are still being spotted in Arnprior, just not an Antrim. There are always buses parkes on HWY 17 , 2 min east of Arnprior. The buses look like they are being hidden from view but are quite visible from the highway.

Speaking ou useless tax dollars being spent, why are they wasting money repainting some of the 4000 series? 4019 was in fine shape and did not need new paint!! Also buses are still being spotted in Arnprior, just not an Antrim. There are always buses parkes on HWY 17 , 2 min east of Arnprior. The buses look like they are being hidden from view but are quite visible from the highway.

4019 had an engine fire and was out of service for a year. Aside from that though, many 4000 are currently being put through a rebuild program due to frame corrosion (especially at the rear.) This is typical of any 9-10 year old LF bus. Nova LFS just all had body jobs too. The 6000's and Invero's will probably need major repairs at 9-10 years old as well.

4019 had an engine fire and was out of service for a year. Aside from that though, many 4000 are currently being put through a rebuild program due to frame corrosion (especially at the rear.) This is typical of any 9-10 year old LF bus. Nova LFS just all had body jobs too. The 6000's and Invero's will probably need major repairs at 9-10 years old as well.

corrosion... isn't that what did in most of the 85xx-88xx series?

corrosion... isn't that what did in most of the 85xx-88xx series?

Ultimately it does in all buses but if you're speaking of the '85-'88 Orion-Ikarus buses, then yes they suffered from massive premature rusting due to substandard Soviet era Eastern European metal.

Ultimately it does in all buses but if you're speaking of the '85-'88 Orion-Ikarus buses, then yes they suffered from massive premature rusting due to substandard Soviet era Eastern European metal.

For sure. I read in the Citizen a few years ago that the corrosion was so bad, even the Cubans wouldn't take the buses. And they have both Hungarian and locally-built Ikarus buses. :lol:

In the end, the buses were sold to a local scrapyard for $75 each. To paraphrase one TTC spokesman, it was a cheap bus for a cheap price.

• 1 month later...
Likewise, I don't remember any 7700's in the Maple Leaf scheme either. My guess is OC Transpo didn't want to spend money repainting a bus that would be retired shortly after, not realising that the buses would still be in service four years later... :D

I could of sworn I saw someone on this board has a picture of a 7700 in the maple leaf, I think it was Orion VIII. I remember seeing one a LONG time ago.

Btw speaking of rebuilt buses, 4201 has been rebuilt cause I rode it a year ago and I rode it a month ago, a year ago it sounded like it was falling apart and the ride was horrible, a month ago it gave the same ride as the 4500's gave then they were completely brand new.

Also the seats weren't dusty, like the regular buses with those seats. Plus it didn't stink like the rest of the Inveros, and it just didn't perform like a regular 4200 usually performs.