Thunder Bay Transit

dj.surf.lfs

I just got off my high school extra bus a few minutes ago... On the radio the bus drivers were talking about a bus missing its air bag... (OMG!) Then, when I got off at a bus stop near the library which is where I am right now, 125 was parked on Brodie St and was talking on the radio, so it's probably 125's air bag that was missing. But can this be possible?

P.S. I'm being stupid but does buses even have air bags? :)

I just got off my high school extra bus a few minutes ago... On the radio the bus drivers were talking about a bus missing its air bag... (OMG!) Then, when I got off at a bus stop near the library which is where I am right now, 125 was parked on Brodie St and was talking on the radio, so it's probably 125's air bag that was missing. But can this be possible?

P.S. I'm being stupid but does buses even have air bags? :)

It's known as air bag suspension or so.

On Sunday, my brother and I had a hell of a time getting a bus. The phone line said the mainline was coming in 40 minutes, so we sat down and waited, then 2 minutes later, the mainline went by! So when that system goes live I'm sure their forecasting will improve.

The air bag is the thing that allows the bus to kneel. Without it, the bus isn't properly wheelchair accessible.

The new buses probably won't come until March. They have to approve the budget first. :P They're also getting bike racks with the bus tax thing, for all buses, which is bonus.

Lastly, I have pictures. These are from June 2nd, 2006. 121 was inbound on Oliver Road and a van was speeding up a hill and hit the bus. Looking at these pictures, I think it's pretty clear that we can say with confidence that city buses are a far superior mode of transportation!

I lived two blocks away at the time, and did laundry at that laundromat occasionally.

s1010050vw4.jpg

Looking at the damage, you'd be scared to see the bus!

s1010051vt5.jpg

It even damaged the building!!

s1010052ku0.jpg

It came to a stop about a block and a half away, crooked.

s1010053gc9.jpg

Look at all that damage! :(

It was an exciting day. :lol:

On Sunday, my brother and I had a hell of a time getting a bus. The phone line said the mainline was coming in 40 minutes, so we sat down and waited, then 2 minutes later, the mainline went by! So when that system goes live I'm sure their forecasting will improve.

The air bag is the thing that allows the bus to kneel. Without it, the bus isn't properly wheelchair accessible.

The new buses probably won't come until March. They have to approve the budget first. :lol: They're also getting bike racks with the bus tax thing, for all buses, which is bonus.

Lastly, I have pictures. These are from June 2nd, 2006. 121 was inbound on Oliver Road and a van was speeding up a hill and hit the bus. Looking at these pictures, I think it's pretty clear that we can say with confidence that city buses are a far superior mode of transportation!

I lived two blocks away at the time, and did laundry at that laundromat occasionally.

s1010050vw4.jpg

Looking at the damage, you'd be scared to see the bus!

s1010051vt5.jpg

It even damaged the building!!

s1010052ku0.jpg

It came to a stop about a block and a half away, crooked.

s1010053gc9.jpg

Look at all that damage! :(

It was an exciting day. :P

Great! I'll be glad to see the new buses coming and the D40LFs getting scrapped! hehe :P And now that we are going to have bike racks, I can hope on my bike to catch a bus! Maybe I'll go to Neebing sometime...

The accident sounds pretty exciting... I feel much safer riding the buses than driving. (Unless it's an Orion VII :P )

I like the Orion VIIs. They're more roomy. :P The new Orion VIIs are nice, too. Maybe you meant the Orion VI? Those are crap.

The only bus that has ever caught fire while I was on it was a Newflyer, you know. (Possibly 119? I don't know why they scrapped that one and can't remember the number of the bus that caught fire but it was on Oliver Road just after the turn off Balmoral)

I think they should keep some of the old Newflyers and increase the frequency on the mainline during peak times. I counted 57 people on it a couple weeks ago at around 3PM heading between Intercity and Water St. and considering I live on the route, it would really benefit me, too. :(

I like the Orion VIIs. They're more roomy. :P The new Orion VIIs are nice, too. Maybe you meant the Orion VI? Those are crap.

The only bus that has ever caught fire while I was on it was a Newflyer, you know. (Possibly 119? I don't know why they scrapped that one and can't remember the number of the bus that caught fire but it was on Oliver Road just after the turn off Balmoral)

I think they should keep some of the old Newflyers and increase the frequency on the mainline during peak times. I counted 57 people on it a couple weeks ago at around 3PM heading between Intercity and Water St. and considering I live on the route, it would really benefit me, too. :P

I meant the Orion VIs, my bad :P they're certainly crappy. You should see them on Churchill/DFC high school extras in the afternoon, it's horrible :P Orion VIIs are not bad, but apparently some drivers hate them. The next generation ones are certainly good, although I have yet to ride one of them.

My favourite are the NovaBus LFS buses, they rock! ;)

I seriously don't know what happened to 119. Last time I checked it was sitting at the back of the garage.

I'm all for adding more buses to Mainline route. 30 minute frequency on a mainline route is just not acceptable. But 57 people!! :o I've never heard of such thing in TB in my life.

Really? Go on it just after school, between ~2:30 and ~4:30, heading from Water to Intercity, it's almost always packed.

And funny thing, every bus I have been on today -- an Orion VI! :D Even the mainlines that went by were Orion VIs! They should retire those instead of the NewFlyers.

Iirc, the reason drivers hate the Orions is because of the way the steering is set up. They find it hard to use, especially since our routes have so many fucking left turns. (It's absurd!!) Honestly, why can't John continue down John Street, turn right onto Junot, then turn right onto Windsor, then turn right onto Clarkson? Oh wait, turning left off Clarkson would take forever... Well, I can't think of everything.

I was talking with a woman at Brodie St terminal last night, and she says they need to fix the system. The city should really look into it. I've heard bus drivers complaining the other day that they can't meet their time points and think they're unreasonable, everyone is pissed off about mismatching meet-ups at Intercity (almost impossible to transfer from Mainline to Memorial there, and vice versa) and the frequency of Mainline is terrible. It used to be every 10 minutes!

Also, the 3 County Park gets really full just after school. All the kids from Hillcrest and Hammarskjold going home on that bus, some days I counted as many as 70 people. The driver had to call for back up numerous times. They should start running the Country Park Extra again, or resume the McComber alignment. And once the new high school is opened, they'll have to figure something out with that, too. Junot and Hudson are both a few blocks away from the site, so they'll have to consider it. Maybe run a high school bus like they do for Churchill and Cromarty?

I've got a lot more ideas, btw. I spend at least 10% of my day on buses. :ph34r:

Oh yeah, the updated their announcement and finally cleaned up the maps page (the PDF for 3 Airport was stuck in the header for the longest time. :lol:) but it still has errors in it. :P

SPECIAL EVENTS

The start-up date for Thunder Bay Transit's new GPS/AVL System (Global Positioning System/Automated Vehicle Locater) is scheduled begin on February 04, 2008. This system will allow our customers to log on to the City's Transit Website and view the buses in reference to schedules and routes, in real time. This system is designed to be user friendly and allow our customers to have an accurate display of next bus times and visually see a buses actual location.

So watch for us February 04, 2008

Should be "bus's". Oh well. No one is perfect. Here is Guelph's Nextbus system. I'm assuming Thunder Bay Transit will be on that list soon enough. It will give you an idea of how the system works. The map is actually pretty neat, but if you could see all buses it would be awesome. :) I really hope this system makes TBTransit more efficient, they need it. I bet if they just increased efficiency and frequency a bit they'd increase their ridership a considerable amount.

edit: You can see all routes, hit the routes tab. :P

Really? Go on it just after school, between ~2:30 and ~4:30, heading from Water to Intercity, it's almost always packed.

And funny thing, every bus I have been on today -- an Orion VI! :D Even the mainlines that went by were Orion VIs! They should retire those instead of the NewFlyers.

Iirc, the reason drivers hate the Orions is because of the way the steering is set up. They find it hard to use, especially since our routes have so many fucking left turns. (It's absurd!!) Honestly, why can't John continue down John Street, turn right onto Junot, then turn right onto Windsor, then turn right onto Clarkson? Oh wait, turning left off Clarkson would take forever... Well, I can't think of everything.

I've heard the VII are the worst than the VI when it comes to steering. Many driver who drives the VII must turn their wheel back to centre from left or right turn themselves rather the hydralic do the work.

Oh BTW, watch your language next time.

Hammarskjold/Hillcrest high school extra sounds like a good idea. Maybe a couple of trips in the morning and the afternoon would be fine. And they should cancel the Neebing tripper to Westgate (that no one rides it ;))

TBT has already added Mainline Brodie-Water trippers during busy times, but I agree that's not enough. Maybe an articulated bus? I'd love to see at least one running around (D60LFR or LFS Artic, but imagine the reaction of Thunder Bay residents when it comes to spending big bucks on transit...

Also, I've been think that the city should buy some suburban-style buses for longer routes such as Neebing. Since so many people complaining how useless the route is, why not add more attractive service to it so that more people want use it? And maybe couple of park-and-rides and express services to/from Downtown, since TB has so many empty lands in the countryside where nobody uses it? But again, TB people would rather have their roads repaired than add more service to transit. And that has to change.

Haha, an artic would scare people here! They'd be afraid the rear end would snap off on a turn or something. And it would probably have difficulty getting into Brodie, too. And then you have to consider that the inter-terminal part of the route is interlined with the neighbourhood routes, and to have an artic running through Westfort and Current River would be a waste. An express bus between the terminals stopping only once at Intercity however would be a good idea, and considering it would be replacing two Memorials and a Mainline, it would probably have to be an artic, or very frequent. Its a less than 15 minute trip so it could have a 20-30 minute frequency. If they get just one or two it shouldn't be too much trouble. The Newflyers should have a few more years on them, we probably could scrap the plan to get three more buses in 2009 and get an artic instead. Administration would probably freak out though, they only like spending money on city hall.

And I was thinking that it would be a good idea to get a couple suburban buses. Extend Neebing to Rosslyn Village in Oliver Paipoonge, and bring back South Neebing (which I personally think should be a prerequisite before any more subdivisions get approved down there.) Have one of them, South Neebing perhaps, take over for 6 Mission. South Neebing is a more direct route so it would have the time to do so. (I just hope the natives being on the bus doesn't scare the rednecks down in Greenway Estates! ;)) The routes aren't travelled too much, they could probably interline. When South Neebing gets to Brodie it could become Neebing-Rosslyn and vice versa.

Have another one head out to Kakabeka Falls, leaving from Water St. down to John, then along John/Oliver. It could serve Murillo and Kakabeka Falls, which would boost tourism in the area and maybe bring some new life to Murillo. (I've wanted to try that restaurant there but without a car, I can't. :lol:)

Have a route run to the outer parts of McIntyre Ward, along John Street like the 11 does but continue down John Street Road to Toms Road, then up that and then right on Paquette, left on Alice, and it turns up on Government Road which has a few new subdivisions now. It can then get through North McIntyre. It doesn't even have to go all the way to the terminal, it could drop them off at County Fair, and then head back in the other direction? Sort of like having two buses running in both directions but really just one alternating? (We don't need every bus going to the terminals, a transfer point will do)

Additionally, we should create express buses between the College, University and the terminals. Get people there without having to wind through residential streets on the way. You could cut an easy ten minutes off that route.

They're in the budget too, we should see them by May.

Speculating for a second - I figure 122 will be one of the retired buses, it still has a roll sign. I think it's the only one with a roll sign at this point.

They're in the budget too, we should see them by May.

Speculating for a second - I figure 122 will be one of the retired buses, it still has a roll sign. I think it's the only one with a roll sign at this point.

4 D40LFs have roll signs at this moment: 112, 114, 122, and 124. I think all buses are active at this moment, but I'll pay close attention to which of them will retire.

• 3 weeks later...

They have a new route. It's a shuttle between LU and Intercity. According to the sign, it goes between LU and Intercity only. (It said LU <-> Mall ONLY) The display sign said "Lakehead University" and I'm assuming when it gets up to LU it switches to say "Intercity". No one was actually on the bus, and the driver let us all on because it was a bit nippy out. (Only -20, but still, it's nice to be warm.)

And 132 has something wrong with its shocks. Probably worn out ball berings. My grandmothers car has the same problem.

edit: According to the slip that lists the routes, they also have one for ConCollege but I didn't see it. 214 has something wrong with the front right wheel. It was running 1 Mainline this morning and they made everyone get on to 120 at the barns. I think it was just lots of snow build up but it could be anything.

They have a new route. It's a shuttle between LU and Intercity. According to the sign, it goes between LU and Intercity only. (It said LU <-> Mall ONLY) The display sign said "Lakehead University" and I'm assuming when it gets up to LU it switches to say "Intercity". No one was actually on the bus, and the driver let us all on because it was a bit nippy out. (Only -20, but still, it's nice to be warm.)

And 132 has something wrong with its shocks. Probably worn out ball berings. My grandmothers car has the same problem.

edit: According to the slip that lists the routes, they also have one for ConCollege but I didn't see it. 214 has something wrong with the front right wheel. It was running 1 Mainline this morning and they made everyone get on to 120 at the barns. I think it was just lots of snow build up but it could be anything.

That's good to know. By the way, when do these shuttles run? Where did you get the notice slip? Please post the routing if you know them.

140 spotted, the right front headlight broken.

Edit: and an unknown Orion VI (214?) has its rear desto broken.

The new LFS are still not here... Haven't seen the D40LFs with the roll signs either... (ready for retirement? :mellow:)

P.S. The TBT website still haven't said anything about the fare hike yet. What the heck are they trying to do...

I saw a D40LF with a roll sign earlier today, so they're still on the road. I can't remember which number it was though. (Saw it out the window, which is a bit too far to see the numbers) They're only replacing three though, and four have signs, so that could be the last one.

I don't think you saw 214 (Unless it was before Thursday) because as far as I know its in the shop. The new LFSs come when the budget is approved. Mid March. They'll probably delivered in April. Before Easter I'd bet but I wouldn't hold my breath. At least by May.

The fare hike doesn't come into effect until the budget is approved either. I'd say that might start in June? They have to give about a month or so to let people adjust their budgets.

I don't know exactly when the shuttles run or where they go (It would feel awkward being the only person on the LU shuttle, and not getting off when it reached its destination. :\) but they probably run in evening when 8 and 9 aren't going to Intercity and I would imagine they stop around 8 or 9. I'm guessing they make 4 trips between about 6:30 and 8:30 with each trip being about 20 minutes.

Also, buses 216(?), 137, and 138 have a clever add for something for "Obey".

"Kids starting to think for themselves? Put a stop to it with Obey. From the makers of WhyBecauseISaidSo". Probably a public service ad or something. I found it pretty funny. :mellow: The bus hut at the end of Second has a sign similar to this one:

2265343359_f0c8b2ddf5.jpg

2265342115_8f1ca97abd.jpg

These are from Toronto.

I saw a D40LF with a roll sign earlier today, so they're still on the road. I can't remember which number it was though. (Saw it out the window, which is a bit too far to see the numbers) They're only replacing three though, and four have signs, so that could be the last one.

I don't think you saw 214 (Unless it was before Thursday) because as far as I know its in the shop. The new LFSs come when the budget is approved. Mid March. They'll probably delivered in April. Before Easter I'd bet but I wouldn't hold my breath. At least by May.

The fare hike doesn't come into effect until the budget is approved either. I'd say that might start in June? They have to give about a month or so to let people adjust their budgets.

I don't know exactly when the shuttles run or where they go (It would feel awkward being the only person on the LU shuttle, and not getting off when it reached its destination. :\) but they probably run in evening when 8 and 9 aren't going to Intercity and I would imagine they stop around 8 or 9. I'm guessing they make 4 trips between about 6:30 and 8:30 with each trip being about 20 minutes.

Also, buses 216(?), 137, and 138 have a clever add for something for "Obey".

"Kids starting to think for themselves? Put a stop to it with Obey. From the makers of WhyBecauseISaidSo". Probably a public service ad or something. I found it pretty funny. :) The bus hut at the end of Second has a sign similar to this one:

2265343359_f0c8b2ddf5.jpg

2265342115_8f1ca97abd.jpg

These are from Toronto.

I'm seeing those ads all over TBT. What are they, mind-control pills for teenagers? ;) It's kinda suspicious.

Apparently, it's an ad campaign for Ontario Colleges. This is the first phase.

I made a map of bus routes for Wiki. Its for illustrative purposes, it doesn't break down each branch.

300px-Thunder_Bay_Transit_Map.svg.png

click the image to see a larger version.

Apparently, it's an ad campaign for Ontario Colleges. This is the first phase.

I made a map of bus routes for Wiki. Its for illustrative purposes, it doesn't break down each branch.

300px-Thunder_Bay_Transit_Map.svg.png

click the image to see a larger version.

Nice map!

One thing though, are you sure the routing for 6 Mission is right? I thought it turns at the Goverment building, but doesn't go all the way down Anemki Drive. are there new stops there now?