Thunder Bay Transit

dj.surf.lfs

This is a thread about everything about Thunder Bay Transit, avoiding me to create new thread each time I have something to say.

Today's topic:

Thunder Bay Transit has the cheapest day pass ever.

Thunder Bay Transit's Family/Group pass can be used by 2 adults/3 children or 1 adult/4 children and is only $6.00 and can be used on ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

It's EXTREMELY cheap, compared to our regular fare which is $2.25

But surprisingly, nobody seems to use it. The drivers doesn't seem to know it, either. Each time I show the pass to them, they say "What the heck is this?" or "Where did you get this?" etc etc... And for some reason, the pass is not shown in the fare table.

What do you think?

This is a thread about everything about Thunder Bay Transit, avoiding me to create new thread each time I have something to say.

Today's topic:

Thunder Bay Transit's Family/Group pass can be used by 2 adults/3 children or 1 adult/4 children and is only $6.00 and can be used on ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

It's EXTREMELY cheap, compared to our regular fare which is $2.25

But surprisingly, nobody seems to use it. The drivers doesn't seem to know it, either. Each time I show the pass to them, they say "What the heck is this?" or "Where did you get this?" etc etc... And for some reason, the pass is not shown in the fare table.

What do you think?

I am not sure if I want to take public transit in thunder bay espeically if I am a choice rider. I don't think Thunder Bay has frequent public transit service.

I am not sure if I want to take public transit in thunder bay espeically if I am a choice rider. I don't think Thunder Bay has frequent public transit service.

Buses run every 15 minutes on 3 Memorial (including branches), Monday to Saturday. 2 Crosstown also runs every 15 minutes, Monday to Friday, Winter Schedule. Other routes run every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday, and all routes run every 40 minutes on Sundays.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's topic:

Not so sure about that. Some US systems have day passes for $3 or $4. Often the price of two fares. That way if you plan to ride at least two buses, you might as well get a day pass. Although, with the ability to have multiple people use on day pass, Thunder Bay's might be a bit better deal.

However, you only have a small number of routes you can ride... Unlike the TTC where a family can use one day pass on the weekends and actually visit tourist attractions with it :P

Not so sure about that. Some US systems have day passes for $3 or $4. Often the price of two fares. That way if you plan to ride at least two buses, you might as well get a day pass. Although, with the ability to have multiple people use on day pass, Thunder Bay's might be a bit better deal.

However, you only have a small number of routes you can ride... Unlike the TTC where a family can use one day pass on the weekends and actually visit tourist attractions with it :P

Sure, but within Canada, I think it's probably one of the cheapest.

And yes, I've ridden all TBT routes now... There's nothing new here :P

Hamilton's day pass is $7 and can be used by 1 adult and 5 children or 2 adults and 4 children on any day as well.

The GRT daypass is $5.00 and can be used by individuals or a family up to 2 adults and 3 children.

• 4 weeks later...

I was riding bus today, and an old guy missed his stop at the Hospital, so the driver took a huge detour and went back to the stop to drop off that guy. Something you don't see everyday ;)

Thats something that would never happen in Toronto.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
No surprise as Thunder Bay gets the most snow than any other cities.

Nope, other places get more. According to Environment Canada, normal annual snowfall for Thunder Bay is 187.6 cm. Just to give you one example, Ottawa's annual snowfall at the airport is 235.7 cm.

Thunder Bay is cold, but it's relatively dry. Of course, once snow falls in TBay, it tends to stay on the ground until April. :-)

Fondly remembering a year spent attending teacher's college in TBay. Do the bus routes still zig and zag all over the place?

Thunder Bay Transit will be getting 5 new buses this year. They will be new Nova LFS buses (as usual), and are likely to be numbered 148-152. Hope they will come with the new headlight. Delivery date to be confirmed. (Probably around late December or early January)

This will also mean that 5 1994 New Flyer D40LFs will retire.

Fondly remembering a year spent attending teacher's college in TBay. Do the bus routes still zig and zag all over the place?

Yes. I suggest you take a look at it yourself. -> http://www.thunderbay.ca/docs/transit/4030.pdf

Thunder Bay Transit will be getting 5 new buses this year. They will be new Nova LFS buses (as usual), and are likely to be numbered 148-152. Hope they will come with the new headlight. Delivery date to be confirmed. (Probably around late December or early January)

This will also mean that 5 1994 New Flyer D40LFs will retire.

Yes. I suggest you take a look at it yourself. -> http://www.thunderbay.ca/docs/transit/4030.pdf

Hmmm, I guess it's milage and maintenance or those are the unrebuild ones.

Heh, no wonder they don't like the VII due to steering design. I even watched your video and the driver does so much turning.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for posting it; looks like routes have changed a bit, but it has been 15 years.

Sometime walk is faster than taking the bus. The only direct bus route goes to the supermarket ends at 6 30pm( mon-sat). If you miss that bus u need to ride back to the terminal and go back to your intended destination. It is very inconvenient if you are handful of groceries and minus 35 deg.. The T.Bay bus driver have a tendency to come 3-4 minutes earlier than scheduled.

Sometime walk is faster than taking the bus. The only direct bus route goes to the supermarket ends at 6 30pm( mon-sat). If you miss that bus u need to ride back to the terminal and go back to your intended destination. It is very inconvenient if you are handful of groceries and minus 35 deg.. The T.Bay bus driver have a tendency to come 3-4 minutes earlier than scheduled.

Hello there! Are you from Thunder Bay? Can you tell me which supermarket are you talking about? Thanks!

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!

From Thunder Bay Transit web site:

The start-up date for Thunder Bay Transit's new GPS/AVL System is scheduled to go live February 04, 2008. This system will allow our customer to log on to the City's Website to see for yourself how the buses are running in reference to scheduled and route in real time. This enter system will allow our customer to see Thunder Bay's points of interest, lodging, restaurants ,grocery stores etc. from a list of close to eight hundred places, and what bus will take you the closest or how to do the complete trip using only the bus. This system is designed to be user friendly and allow our costomer another avenue to access Thunder Bay Transit information.

It's great, but it is hard to understand why we need them...