Emergency Vehicles

It looks like Cochrane is going to be putting out tender for probably 4-5 new units over the next year or two. Now that we've moved into our new main hall (from the previous one that we'd had since 1980 that couldn't even fit half the fleet inside) theres talk of at least 2 more stations. We're following what Calgary did in the far NW and temporarily converting a new house in the new subdivision north of the main part of town (the area is connected by two roads, one an unpaved emergency access road through a valley, and the other is highway 22, the fear is if an accident happens at the intersection of #22 and #1A that it could block access to the area from the current station). And the a third station will be added by 2010 south of the river now that development is starting in that area. Initial expectation is probably at least 1 ambulance, pumper and command vehicle for the new stations, and I suspect we may see an additional aerial like the one thats current on order from Rosenbauer-Metz (the new "T-Rex" model). We may also have another ambulance coming up for retirement as one of our older ones has to be coming up on its allowable lifetime milage (there was a story when our latest one was delievered a couple years back that mentioned they figured the next replacement would be in late 2008 or 2009).

And you are right about the yellow looking tired, I noticed last week that one of our oldest trucks which was yellow was repainted recently so the entire Cochrane fleet is now white with red banding. I imagine the fact they repainted it means they intend to keep it in operation a while longer, not sure on its exact age but its probably a good 10-15 years now.

American LaFrance files for chapter 11 :huh:

http://www.americanlafrance.com/interior.a...;s=22&a=162

American LaFrance LLC (the “Company” or “ALF”) announced today that it has filed a voluntary petition for relief under Chapter 11

(1/28/2008)

SUMMERVILLE, SC JANUARY 28, 2008 – American LaFrance LLC (the “Company” or “ALF”) announced today that it has filed a voluntary petition for relief under Chapter 11 of the U.S. bankruptcy code in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware. The Company announced that it will request approval of $50 million in debtor-in-possession financing from its pre-bankruptcy lenders. The Company will continue to operate its manufacturing facilities and provide repair services as a debtor-in-possession. The Company has retained William K. Snyder, a Managing Partner with CRG Partners Group, LLC, as Chief Restructuring Officer.

The Company will shortly file a Plan of Reorganization along with a motion for sale under Section 363 of the bankruptcy code in case the Plan of Reorganization is not approved. It is anticipated that the reorganization process will be completed in less than 90 days, at which time the Company will emerge from bankruptcy with ample liquidity for ongoing operations and a more viable debt structure. The Company will file today motions to honor customer warranties and employee wages, among other relief. The Company intends to honor its obligations to supply vehicles that are supported by performance bonds.

ALF’s Chapter 11 filing is the result of several factors, including significant operational difficulties encountered upon the separation of ALF’s business from the business of ALF’s former parent, Freightliner LLC. To address these operational problems and to fund general operating expenses, ALF has incurred approximately $150 million in secured debt since the business was purchased from Freightliner LLC.

American LaFrance LLC, through its predecessor entities, is one of the oldest fire, rescue, and EMS vehicle manufacturers in the United States, dating back to the its founding in 1832. The Company operates 8 manufacturing/servicing facilities and two company-owned vehicle dealerships.

This is sad news, they were making good progress a rebuilding their former glory... Hope they can work it out!

They should scale back on productiong facilities and sell off the dealership/servicings facilities to 3rd parties

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just saw pics of those three, very interesting, at first they looked like the Spartan/Metalfab rigs out of Mississauga.

Actually, Spartan seems to be the chassis of choice nearly everywhere these days. But Carl Thibault doesn't have a propriatary boom, they would have to buy one from the two main suppliers, thus driving up the price of their tender. And the 40' boom seems to only be offered by Bronto (e-one), and that is the major tender requirement

Should be but it may be 625, two were due last year, spotted 625 at 25 hall earlier this month (not yet set up) and 626 was still awol. Once again, Spartan/Smeal 105 foot aerial/platforms like the other 3, so I would guess the two Amigo's (614/615 Pierre Thibault body/ladder on Mexican built Kenworth 2 man cabbed chassis) days are numbered.

Now if the long overdue tanker pumps would finally arrive...

Well Spartan is the largest chassis maker in North America for fire rigs.

So for the Ottawa Order im guessing E-One would offer one of its tower choices on a Cyclone II chassis???

On a side note E-One just got a 10 truck Typhoon Custom Pumpers with custom winterization packages order from Winnipeg. Winnipeg already operates 20 E-One units of different types

If you didn't see any ladder on the top I'd say you are seeing either a pumper/rescue pumper or a rescue unit. I know T.O. got a lot of Smeal/Spartan rescue pumps, so that is my guess

There are a few names for the various ladder/elevating types. I'll do the two most common types in Canada

Aerial Ladder (ladder truck with plain jane sectional ladder), usually 105ft/30m and mostly made of steel, although I have seen a few aluminum ladders (Saskatoon's E-One)

Aerial Platform is a ladder truck with a bucket/basket/platform at the end. Again the same details as above, but are a somewhat heavier and longer.

They can be mounted on the truck either at the back (rear-mount) or if requested centre mounted with the ladder facing towards the rear (centre-mount). Centre mounts are of a lower profile and usually are required for older stations with limited overhead or in some cases cities with overhead interference like bridges, trolley lines etc.

A curve ball here is if the truck is a quint or not. A quint would have it's own pump and water tank built in whereas the others are plumbed to receive water (or a hose is hauled up the ladder)

There is also a difference in manning levels vs name used. A ladder truck has a crew of at least 4, an aerial has a crew of 2. Edmonton is now going to full 4 man crews, but we still have three with 2 man crews

Not to forget, there are also snorkels, sticks, towers, and articulating etc. that would take quite a bit to explain.

You may want to take a look at a few websites for general ideas of these items. e-one, smeal, svi, seagrave, pearce, kme, hme are good places to take a look at various units. Check out products and recent deliveries.

feel free to pm me if you need anything else

Just to let you know the last order of pumpers for Toronto where Seagrave Bodies on Spartan chassis

Sweet Rig!!!, that must be one the first rigs put out by Rockey Mountain Phoenix/Rosenbauer (on a Spartan chassis) since they switched from E-One (formerly Superior, which shut down the Red Deer plant last fall)

The rescue reminds me of a Toronto rescue (probably the Mack Chassis).

Just found the tender documents for Edmonton for 5 new trailers for the zodiaks as well as a tripple axle technical trench and collpase trailer (urban search and rescue by another name I presume).

That trailer (shop 927) is approx 10,000 kg empty and will be towed by one of our SVI/Spartan rescues instead of having another spare/reserve rescue truck outfitted.

Phoenix/Rosenbauer has been building alot of bodies on Spartan Chassis in the past few years for its US market

Noticed that order, was actually surprised they went that way, but then again Smeal is backlogged something fierce.

Kind of nice to see the Segrave name back up here, almost all of FDNY is Seagrave, and they seem to be doing just fine

They have done quite a few and look really good (Victioria's look sweet), but noit too many out west yet

if your looking at the Segrave units from a distances they almost look the same as the smeals for the Toronto pumpers

Well I know I woke up in Montreal this morning..lol.. but on my way to the bus stop, I passed by my local fire station and noticed something strange on both fire engines outside...

Montreal_fire_246.JPGMontreal_fire_246a.JPG

Pressure tatics? Or did something bad happen in T.O. and were honoring firefighters that died during a fire recently?

Nope, labour issues once again, the only Fire Fighter union I know of that has willingly vandalized fire rigs and stations and puts peoples lives at risk... ;)

At Least this time it's only decals and attempts at shame

Sweet rig, somewhat smaller than Edmontons, then again we only have 1, and I believe your folks have 2...

I believe we have 4 of these Hazmat rigs. I also notice this one says 'Hazmat 4' on the top. Not sure if that's related or not.

Nope, labour issues once again, the only Fire Fighter union I know of that has willingly vandalized fire rigs and stations and puts peoples lives at risk... ;)

Are you serious! This is more pressure tatics by Montreal firefighters! Wow... I guess they have a thing for Toronto or something.. I wonder if this is on all Montreal fire trucks though or just my local fire stations trucks..

Well I know I woke up in Montreal this morning..lol.. but on my way to the bus stop, I passed by my local fire station and noticed something strange on both fire engines outside...

Montreal_fire_246.JPGMontreal_fire_246a.JPG

Pressure tatics? Or did something bad happen in T.O. and were honoring firefighters that died during a fire recently?

The decals can easily be removed and cause no damage. The firefighters also have made up Toronto Jackets ect.

Here is a link to the fire stations and apparatus for Hamilton. They are putting the shovel in the ground in March for Station 20 and that will give them 30 Stations. Plans are in the works for a new Station 31 for 2009-10.

They have tenders out for:

· 5 Engines

· 3 Pumper Tankers

· 1 Ladder (Quint)

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/Cityan...n+Locations.htm

• 2 weeks later...

How much are they going for on ebay anyways? I have about a dozen left, all with some sort of Canadian content, the rest I disposed of a while back, might have been able to make a buck or two

it all depends on how old they are, the issues, if they are in good order. about average price for them is about 3-5 bucks Canadian plus shipping

How much are they going for on ebay anyways? I have about a dozen left, all with some sort of Canadian content, the rest I disposed of a while back, might have been able to make a buck or two

let me know what you have, I could be intrested in them if you dont want them, we could come up with a good price for both of us.

it all depends on how old they are, the issues, if they are in good order. about average price for them is about 3-5 bucks Canadian plus shipping

let me know what you have, I could be intrested in them if you dont want them, we could come up with a good price for both of us.

I started a thread in the Transit Lounge titled "Buy,Sell, Trade or Give Away" for stuff like this. :D

I have a friend that is moving and I am going to inherit a whole busload of stuff. Stay Tuned.

a quick question are there any tillers left in service any where in Canada??

No there is not, would be sweet to see some though, with the way cities are getting congested now days I would not be all that surprised if they made a return though.