2024 New Flyer XDE60 Order

Express691

Had a look at the bids page on the TransLink Website and saw this entry:

Notice is hereby given by South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (“TransLink”) of its intent to contract with New Flyer Industries Canada ULC (“NFI”) for the production and supply of 16 (sixteen) x 60 ft. articulating, diesel hybrid low-floor transit buses due to the following:  

(a)     NFI is the only qualified proponent with the ability to provide a 60ft diesel hybrid bus that meets the applicable BC legislative and regulatory requirements governing the use of 60ft articulated buses;  
(b)     Compatibility with TransLink’s existing fleet of 60 ft. articulated buses necessitates the use of NFI in order to ensure efficient use of TransLink’s existing parts inventory, specialized tools and maintenance equipment.   
(c)     TransLink’s use of NFI will allow an overall improvement to its current project schedule.   

ICYMI: Nova Artics have an extra-wide centre tire, which is likely one of the leading reasons why TransLink does not want to go with the Nova LFS Artic. Point B also provides a reason.

Other notes:

• These are the designated D60LFR replacements.
  • This is also the first time in a while where an order was made through a Notice of Intent. All other orders were either exercised options or RFP.
  • The listed arrival date according to this document is 2024.
  • Again, unsure if these are standard articulated units or RapidBus units.

Other than that, expect this thread to be buried until then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Express691 changed the title to 2024 New Flyer XDE60 Order
8 hours ago, UprisingCanadian said:

I expect these to be RapidBus units, solely due to the fact the D60LFRs were previously branded for B-Line service. Also, I don't think 125 units is gonna work for the R6 and eventual R7.

I mean I doubt these will be for the R6 since they have there own order. R7 is most likely since they have nothing planned besides going to richmond, It could possibly be a dual livery order like they did with the 2000 D60LFs with sweep and B-Line, its just speculation atm

Alluding to D60LF, eventually most were repainted from sweep to B-Line scheme. Started in 2005 but by the time the fleet retired, five remained - 8010, 8002, 8029, 8053, and 8093.

However a better argument can be post-Millennium Line extension (this was touched on a bit regarding the projected fleet of 125 buses). Does TL want to explore re-investing 99 B-Line resources into RapidBus improvements?

I mean there was always the wrappid-solution we already saw in 2019

7 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

Scorching-hot take: will the RapidBus subfleet even exist by then? TransLink flip-flopped numerous times on that one with the B-Lines, and even now we see conventional units used on RapidBus routes and vice-versa.

Exactly. On top of that weren't the rapidbus units ordered for use ONLY on rapidbus routes? R1 was 96 b line and switched to rapidbus r1. 15000's are even still used on r1 even though those units are not rapidbus units. 

I don't think scott road rapidbus should exist. Just remove rapidbus branding.........

2 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Exactly. On top of that weren't the rapidbus units ordered for use ONLY on rapidbus routes? R1 was 96 b line and switched to rapidbus r1. 15000's are even still used on r1 even though those units are not rapidbus units. 

I don't think scott road rapidbus should exist. Just remove rapidbus branding.........

15000s are used on the R1 when there isn't for say enough Rapidbuses in yard or during a shortage of Rapidbuses, 503 uses whatever artics it could get during AM and during summer they used a lot of Rapidbuses.

Rapidbus branding works well enough, if buses are ordered/delivered fast enough. Translinks “issue” is the system is working extremely well and they’re already running short on the proper branded buses. This is the case with Brampton transits “ZUM” service where up until Covid hit they never had an issue with non ZUM branded buses running on the 500s. Cut to Covid times where they started using articulated buses to help with social distancing + aging fleet and they’re now struggling to maintain the branded routes. 

the fact that they can’t keep up with rapid bus branding is a great thing in essence, it means more funding and more buses year and after for growth 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, P8093 said:

Is the range distance of xe60 cannot handle the daily operation of articulated routes in translink  ?

The XE60s range is currently at 153 miles or 246 kilometres. Although it’s not terrible it isn’t near the range many agencies would like for a bus in order to be out all day. Tons of variables that can drain the batteries faster than 246km. By comparison the XE40 is 400km and the LFSe+ is marketed at 340 to 470km

Many agencies (especially Canadian) are holding out till new Flyer or Nova can release and show a articulated bus that can match the range of a 40ft 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2022 at 5:32 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

The XE60s range is currently at 153 miles or 246 kilometres. Although it’s not terrible it isn’t near the range many agencies would like for a bus in order to be out all day. Tons of variables that can drain the batteries faster than 246km. By comparison the XE40 is 400km and the LFSe+ is marketed at 340 to 470km

Many agencies (especially Canadian) are holding out till new Flyer or Nova can release and show a articulated bus that can match the range of a 40ft 

Cold weather has to also be factored in when calculating range.

My family having owned an EV for a good while rated for 383km (2017 Chevy Bolt), the range significantly dropped in wintertime, often times under 200 km on a full charge, but would peak in the summertime, being able to sometimes achieve 500km or more on a single charge.

This is very subjective, and is meant to give a rough idea of how an EV behaves in certain temperatures.

On another note, the XE60, aside from having an electric motor driving the wheels on the trailer, also has the ZF AVE130 as the middle axle, which is a portal axle driven with in-hub electric motors, so it is less efficient than let's say an XE40, despite the XE40 and XE60 having the exact same motor driving the rear-most wheels.

• 11 months later...
On 12/21/2023 at 1:48 PM, Express691 said:

Brings up a point about Class 1 licences being needed since effectively the middle axle is “technically” pulling the trailer, but I figure since the main power is at the back it doesn’t really count.

Saw this discussion elsewhere

both the middle and the rear axles are powered, hence why the rear portion is not considered a trailer

• Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 1:48 PM, Express691 said:

Brings up a point about Class 1 licences being needed since effectively the middle axle is “technically” pulling the trailer, but I figure since the main power is at the back it doesn’t really count.

Saw this discussion elsewhere

"Bus" is defined in the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations for Classes 2 & 4, in the definitions Section. There is nothing about a trailer, on its own, that would change that definition. Put another way, since a 60 foot bus is in fact a bus, it is not anything else (like a tractor trailer). 

Class 1, even if if the back portion of the bus was unpowered, wouldn't be needed with the current (and long standing) MVA Regulations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 11:03 AM, GenShibe said:

It is confirmed to be the same AVE130 axle according to derek cheung, who shared the very first photo of 24001 on facebook in a new flyer factory

(photo was taken sometime in november)
399265479_10159354073672175_3078490188300749101_n.png

Looks like Insight seats are confirmed if you zoom into the first window

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, UprisingCanadian said:

24001 is currently at BTC, presumably being prepared for service.

I don’t think that’s the case just yet. I’d probably consult with the Metro Vancouver transit discord since they assured that they are a reliable source.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, TransitFanKid said:

Does anyone know when #24001 is going to be in service? And what bus routes is it going to be on?

Since they don't use Rapidbus seats, Translink won't put them on rapidbus routes, right?

They’re going to PoCo to replace the D60LFRs but they’ll probably pop up on the R1 and R3 once in awhile.