Bot accounts raiding the forum…

Transit Apologist

So this morning, this is what I woke up to: 

F58090CC-F251-432C-A72E-7BF64FD256DC.thumb.png.be02d678a4ed9fd1275a26cbdacecfbb.png0B085CD8-B738-47E7-8416-EDA72AC83C4A.thumb.png.f6733d3fce4ba2bbfd92b7c5ae0e9406.png

Stuff like that is all over the site today. There were a couple other similar weird posts from separate accounts in the past few weeks too. Is there a fix that could be used, like requiring CAPTCHA during signup to filter out bot accounts attempting to register and post this type of spam?

• Like 4

• Board Admin

Thank you for reporting the spam recently on the board. Reporting the posts is the best way to alert us to these posts and we will delete them as soon as we can.

Although we have spam prevention methods in place, they were proving to be insufficient.

We have changed the security check method as of October 8, 2022 and will monitor this situation. If the spam continues we will disable new registrations for a period of time.

Thanks for your patience and making CPTDB a great place!

• Thanks 4

52 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

You're welcome.  I spent at least an hour reporting all that spam. Starting from the bottom and working my way up didn't make it any faster. LOL

A lot of the time it's 1 account creating several threads in several subforums (sometimes it could be several accounts doing this at the same time). Since there doesn't seem to be an option to report profiles directly, I'd report 1 of the multiple threads created by said profile, indicating it as a "spam account", and eventually all those threads get deleted & the spam profile turns blank

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Board Admin
18 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Good morning @A. Wong is there an option to “report user” along side report post ?  

When you report the post, we see the associated user and ban them right away, so it is essentially reporting both at once!

This means that you don't really have to report all the posts by the same person.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, Kumiko Oumae said:

One by the user @gammabutyrolactone is promoting the sale of drugs and other illegal material. Which is getting out of hand.

On 11/8/2022 at 9:08 AM, CanadianBrick1 said:

This one has probably been the worst one. I also can't believe someone would do something like this so publicly 

On 11/8/2022 at 9:46 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

He just asking to be arrested lol

It's also possible that some of those bots advertising drugs, counterfeit products, or "other illegal material" could be undercover sting operations to see if anyone falls for it.

Tax payers : r/memes

In the meantime, here's another bot (already reported): https://cptdb.ca/profile/40162-ashelyco19/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Express691 said:

idk, at which point do new threads get screened or approved by mods/admins?

I've noticed the last few sales pitches were posted in existing threads, so maybe it is more difficult to detect? Many of the previous ones before this last batch were new threads in existing topics. Not sure if it makes a difference. All I know these bots or whatever are usually one step ahead of the game. That's what makes them so annoying.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

All I know these bots or whatever are usually one step ahead of the game. That's what makes them so annoying.

Yes, that's the worst part. A while ago I also remember seeing a couple spam posts from an account that had legitimate posts prior to that, but the last legitimate posts were from a couple years ago. Had me wondering whether the bots hacked someone's account (which seemed to be inactive the past couple years) and started using it to post this garbage.

12 hours ago, A. Wong said:

I had disabled new account registrations a couple of days ago so that should prevent any new spam accounts - but also legitimate ones too.

I feel bad for those who want to legitimately sign up and be useful in the forum... Hope they know I am rooting for them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Squishy Bus said:

I feel bad for those who want to legitimately sign up and be useful in the forum... Hope they know I am rooting for them!

Agreed.  There should be a secure method to sign up, like emailing an authoritative board figure and being able to sign up after certain criteria is met. The account can be set up for them. Yeah, it's more work, but might be worth the time and effort.

• Like 3