TTC Infrequently Scheduled Trips with Unique Destination Signs

Xtrazsteve

I want to compile a list of infrequently used but regularly displayed signs for visual sighting.

There are special SCHEDULED trips that exist throughout the system including special branch destination, school trip short turns and garage runs which occur daily but infrequently thus they are not shown on the map or sometimes listed in schedules. If someone were to go to a specific place at a specific time, they can witness these trips.

Examples I know of:

32S Eglinton West Short Turn to Eglinton West Station, eastbound: School trip around 2:40pm. This trip operates from Wilson Division

46E Martin Grove Express to Kipling Station, southbound: School trip around 3:30pm. This trip operates from Mount Dennis Division

46S Martin Grove Short Turn to Westway, southbound: Recently added trip at 11:30pm to relief overcrowding

108C Driftwood to Wilson Station, eastbound: early morning trips at 5am before subway service begins.

112E West Mall Express to Kipling Station, southbound: A couple school trips around 2:30pm

927F Highway 27 Express to Kipling Station via Atwell: A handful of trips operating between 1:30-2:30pm before 927C peak service begins.

This is supposedly some 107F York University to Wilson Station, but I haven't seen it yet.

There was a 48A Rathburn to Renforth/Eringate school trip in the morning but I think it is discontinued. 

Here is a few that i know of:

-There is some 76 NB trips that only run from mimico to evans between 2 and 2:40 AM, as well as one random trip at 7:03 pm. 

-The 76C which runs SB from 8-9 AM to help with overcrowding, it runs between royal york stn and royal york & queensway. 

-48 and 50 EB school trips that begin from mill road & markland drive. Both buses go on the 937 after doing their trip.

-111E, which starts at keane and east mall, and then runs as drop off only to kipling stn.

-The last SB 44 of the night at 2:40 AM (2:38 on a saturday) is a 44S to evans. It comes off the 112 on weekdays and 900 on saturdays.

-927A, AM NB trips on the 927 that end at humber college. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

-111E, which starts at keane and east mall, and then runs as drop off only to kipling stn.

I'll have to try the 111E again, the last time I went in June. The bus was just signed NIS and drove off as there wasn't anyone to pick up. I believe the trip is hooked on to a 937 now instead of 900.

The last few 116 trips and I think theres 1 or 2 86 trips that are signed to Kennedy/Eglinton rather than Kennedy Station due to the station being “closed”

Theres also the last trips SB on the 16 McCowan buses at night go to Danforth/Danforth displayed as 16 to DANFORTH. As Warden Stn is “closed”

11 hours ago, Ultimate said:

The last few 116 trips and I think theres 1 or 2 86 trips that are signed to Kennedy/Eglinton rather than Kennedy Station due to the station being “closed”

Theres also the last trips SB on the 16 McCowan buses at night go to Danforth/Danforth displayed as 16 to DANFORTH. As Warden Stn is “closed”

68 Warden to Danforth for the same reason. At least, there used to be.

There's also the 32F to Royal York and & York Memorial C.I.
AM only

19 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

927F Highway 27 Express to Kipling Station via Atwell: A handful of trips operating between 1:30-2:30pm before 927C peak service begins.

Would this be for a shift change at one of the factories there? Traditionally that was a big reason the TTC operated a lot of seemingly "weird" or one-off services. They even used to advertise they would do it on request for large employers if the demand was enough.

43 minutes ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

Would this be for a shift change at one of the factories there? Traditionally that was a big reason the TTC operated a lot of seemingly "weird" or one-off services. They even used to advertise they would do it on request for large employers if the demand was enough.

The 927F operated for years similar to the regular peak hour 191 but officially designated it's own service in 2019. The service is not new but was public designated to let riders know it will serve Atwell area. A reorganization in 2016 split the Atwell "detour" into a seperate branch creating the 191C and 191D as most riders don't need those stops. However 1-2pm doesn't warrant additional service on the main 927 so the 927F is a blend of 927B and 927C. It is southbound only, last stop to witness the sign is at East Mall/Dundas as the sign changes to 927D to Steeles afterwards upon serving the last southbound stop.

There are still buses the "detours" in a certain direction depending on time of the day but designated as a different branch. The 118 Thistle Down is an example. Before 3pm, buses "detour" through Tandridge eastbound. After 3pm, it's westbound. The could have called it 118A via Tandridge and 118B bypassing Tandridge. They both are signed 118 with an additional "via Tandridge" line when it does loop through there. We'll see if changes happened when the extend the 118 onto Albion during peak hours.

2 hours ago, TDE said:

There's also the 32F to Royal York and & York Memorial C.I.
AM only

32F doesn't exist anymore as the students moved to George Harvey this year. 

---

A long time ago, there was a 322A Coxwell Night Bus westbound to Mortimer/Coxwell, I don't think it exist anymore?

9 minutes ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I found what I think is another one, 75S Sherbourne short turn to Bloor. My hunch is that it’s used for the garage runins to Birchmount that deadhead via Bloor and Danforth (both Avenue and Road).

892890DB-3DBD-45B2-B691-4E81AF07C352.jpeg

I dont see any trips on the 75 schedule that end at bloor.

I believe the driver relief point on the 75 is at bloor and sherbourne, so my guess is that control knew there would be no relief driver so called and told that driver to run in from bloor on that trip.

59 minutes ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I found what I think is another one, 75S Sherbourne short turn to Bloor. My hunch is that it’s used for the garage runins to Birchmount that deadhead via Bloor and Danforth (both Avenue and Road).

892890DB-3DBD-45B2-B691-4E81AF07C352.jpeg

It's the last few trips (2 on weekdays) of the night, and the first few southbound in the mornings start here as well. I think it's a combination of the deadheads, but, iirc, some residents on the northern loop complained a few years back about noise late at night and early in the morning.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I think there’s also some runs on route 84 that run from St. Basil the Great College School via Starview Lane and Weston Road to rejoin the main route. I think these only operate to Sheppard West.

They operate to Sheppard-Yonge Station since at least last school year. One goes onto 84A after while the other goes onto 984A. They skip the 84A/984A on street loop and run eastbound on Sheppard between Weston Rd and Rivalda. This school also has 4 other school trips (1 southbound 89 trip, 2 eastbound 165 trips, 1 westbound 36B trip).

Also while on the topic of 84/984. When they go out of service at Weston Rd, in order to serve the entire loop the final stop is actually eastbound Sheppard at Abraham Welsh. When the buses are running along Bradstock and Rivalda the signs say "Short Turn to Sheppard Ave". There also use to be a few scheduled 84S to Arrow Rd trips from Sheppard-Yonge Station at the end of PM peak, but they seem to be gone this board.

Heres one i have been curious about. All of the 79 runs that finish at the north end of the route do this weird trip from pine & lawrence (which is the final nb stop) to jane & lawrence. Anyone know what the point of it is? 

it really doesnt make sense to me, as a normal 79 bus would go west on lawrence after serving pine street, not east, so idk why these run in trips stay in service for the extra stop east.

Screenshot_20220915-232003.png

56 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

Heres one i have been curious about. All of the 79 runs that finish at the north end of the route do this weird trip from pine & lawrence (which is the final nb stop) to jane & lawrence. Anyone know what the point of it is? 

it really doesnt make sense to me, as a normal 79 bus would go west on lawrence after serving pine street, not east, so idk why these run in trips stay in service for the extra stop east.

Screenshot_20220915-232003.png

Probably it's easier to return to the garage from Jane but I would think operators won't bother to turn onto Wright and just head straight to the garage.

Back in the days, some operators just kick you off the bus without finishing the looping when they're late and head back to the garage.

----

A few years ago, there was a 96S Wilson school trip operated with an artic for a board period or 2. There was also a 119S Torbarrie school trip. I'm not sure what happened to them as I don't see them around.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Probably it's easier to return to the garage from Jane but I would think operators won't bother to turn onto Wright and just head straight to the garage.

Back in the days, some operators just kick you off the bus without finishing the looping when they're late and head back to the garage.

----

A few years ago, there was a 96S Wilson school trip operated with an artic for a board period or 2. There was also a 119S Torbarrie school trip. I'm not sure what happened to them as I don't see them around.

I know that this 96S school trip then turned onto the 35 and eventually became a 36. Quite a strange layout if you ask me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Yes but the previous NB trip has the bus do the full loop via wright and pine, but then it does the weird extension back over to jane, instead of just going NIS at pine & lawrence. 

Here i drew up a quick map, see how that trip causes it to serve lawrence & jane twice.

IMG_20220916_033458_147.webp

Found some interesting 32 trips that begin at Marshall McLuhan school.

-There are 2 of them that leave the school and run as a 32D to emmett, and then become a SB 35 to jane stn when they get to jane/emmett.

-There is one trip that does a 32S to eglinton west stn, then goes back east as a 32 to eglinton stn.

This is not entirely related, but I thought I would mention the route 15 trippers that are operated by Mount Dennis from Royal York Road and Coney Road (Bishop Allen Academy) northbound to Royal York Station, and then proceed onto route 35 and 41. These would be especially good to put articulated buses on.

5 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

This is not entirely related, but I thought I would mention the route 15 trippers that are operated by Mount Dennis from Royal York Road and Coney Road (Bishop Allen Academy) northbound to Royal York Station, and then proceed onto route 35 and 41. These would be especially good to put articulated buses on.

I wonder why they assign them to 15 instead of the 76. They won't get any special signs unless they made them express. Especially ESA is a city wide commuter high school where students are probably going to the subway, why don't they just run it as the 15E and head straight to the station without stopping.

15 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

why don't they just run it as the 15E and head straight to the station without stopping.

Those BA and ESA trips almost always end up going express until bloor street anyways, as they get crushloaded with the students so they cant pick up at any stops between the schools and subway, and usually no one gets off them until bloor street.

16 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I wonder why they assign them to 15 instead of the 76. They won't get any special signs unless they made them express. Especially ESA is a city wide commuter high school where students are probably going to the subway, why don't they just run it as the 15E and head straight to the station without stopping.

It's especially weird considering that the morning trippers from Royal York Station down to The Queensway, which pass by both BA and ESA, are assigned to the 76C and come from and go to the 73.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how "scheduled" this is, but there is that school special version of the 25B/122 that stops occasionally at Fenelon loop to service George S Henry Academy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFjDPYFUKd8

Evidence on this TTC pamphlet from 2004 (could be outdated) says that two 122 trips in the early AM start from Fenelon Loop towards York Mills Station.

https://transittoronto.ca/bus/routes/images/122-Graydon-Hall-2004-09-07.pdf 

1 hour ago, Orion VI said:

Not sure how "scheduled" this is, but there is that school special version of the 25B/122 that stops occasionally at Fenelon loop to service George S Henry Academy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFjDPYFUKd8

There are two scheduled 25 school specials starting at Fenelon Loop in the afternoon, that proceed west along Graydon Hall Dr to Don Mills Rd, where they continue north or south along route 25 to the regular termini. There are no corresponding AM trips ending at Fenelon Loop, so student need to transfer to the 122.

• Like 1