Don Mill Tailtrack usage

The TTC subway features additional tunnels after terminus stations where trains may continue into a dead-end for storage purposes. This usually requires a call-on.

However, the Don Mills tailtrack is less than two cars long, yet the interlocking signal still features a call-on suggesting that trains may continue.

I wonder, do anyone remember the tailtracks being used for any purpose, besides the edge case if the driver forgot to brake as it arrives at Don Mills?

subway-5121-06.jpg

Don Mills' left tailtrack. Why is that wall so fancy?

vlcsnap-2021-01-12-21h01m26s757.png

Vaughan's left tailtrack. I manage to record footage of a train deadheading through Vaughan at midnight sharp.

Curious. I imagine it's just unused space from construction that they decided to make use of.

It makes sense to have at least two cars length from the station so slightly improper braking doesn't cause you to smash into a wall...

Moorgate flashbacks.

2 hours ago, --Mulliganaceous-- said:

I wonder, do anyone remember the tailtracks being used for any purpose, besides the edge case if the driver forgot to brake as it arrives at Don Mills?

Yes,  they get used. Mainline storage. Also for the odd disablement, but that takes a platform out of service. You can fit 8 cars on the platform 2 side and still clear the switches to allow service on to platform 1 if my memory is correct.

As far as your question "Don Mills' left tailtrack. Why is that wall so fancy?", I don't know which wall you are referring to. They're all concrete, nothing fancy there.

It looks like he's referring to the smooth, poured concrete wall on the left (track) side versus the concrete block wall on the right.

The concrete block wall is used to block off the "excess" length of the station box that was built but is not being used. This was done at all of the stations along the Sheppard Line - and in general construction, concrete block is used when you need to build a wall or enclosure that isn't structural. If/when the line gets modified to use 6-car trains, the concrete block walls at all of the stations will be knocked out, and platform finishes extended into those areas.

Dan

On 5/5/2022 at 9:02 AM, smallspy said:

It looks like he's referring to the smooth, poured concrete wall on the left (track) side versus the concrete block wall on the right.

The concrete block wall is used to block off the "excess" length of the station box that was built but is not being used. This was done at all of the stations along the Sheppard Line - and in general construction, concrete block is used when you need to build a wall or enclosure that isn't structural. If/when the line gets modified to use 6-car trains, the concrete block walls at all of the stations will be knocked out, and platform finishes extended into those areas.

Dan

Hey Dan. I mean, that triangular concrete thingy just beyond the left Don Mills tailtrack.

continuation_wall.jpg

11 hours ago, --Mulliganaceous-- said:

Hey Dan. I mean, that triangular concrete thingy just beyond the left Don Mills tailtrack.

continuation_wall.jpg

If I remember the station layout correctly....

That's the east end emergency exit stairwell. It exits into the bus driveway, underneath the entrance hallway on the north side of Sheppard.

Dan

• Like 1