Translink Stacked Destination Signs

On 6/3/2022 at 11:51 PM, Express691 said:

316 stacked but is extremely difficult to find. 16047 has it so far.

7473, 7485, 19141 and 19142 have stacked for 324 and 503 Aldergrove one , if they have blocks run 316, they have it

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, 99.bline said:

Saw 2564 on the 8 this evening, the sign was displaying "To SE Marine Dr" instead of the usual "To Marine Dr" that other units have

I’m surprised how often they actually listen to the feedback that customers provide. I saw the “To Marine Dr” at Waterfront one day and figured it was going to confuse some people who thought that the 8 was extended Marine Drive Station, so I asked them to change it to “To SE Marine Dr” back in April to reduce any confusion. I also asked them to update the northbound destinations for the 3 and 10 to say “Main/Granville To Waterfront Stn” instead of the current “Downtown to Waterfront Stn” since most people know Waterfront is in the Downtown area and “Downtown” doesn’t help passengers know which corridor those routes were travelling along, and I was told that they will update the Northbound destinations to say the corridor instead of “Downtown,” but it will take some time because “there are physical signage changes that need to be coordinated along with that” according to the email I received. I’m assuming this is referring to the bus stops that currently say “3/10 Downtown.” This could also be why the 8 hasn’t had its northbound destination updated yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Transit Guy said:

I’m surprised how often they actually listen to the feedback that customers provide. I saw the “To Marine Dr” at Waterfront one day and figured it was going to confuse some people who thought that the 8 was extended Marine Drive Station, so I asked them to change it to “To SE Marine Dr” back in April to reduce any confusion. I also asked them to update the northbound destinations for the 3 and 10 to say “Main/Granville To Waterfront Stn” instead of the current “Downtown to Waterfront Stn” since most people know Waterfront is in the Downtown area and “Downtown” doesn’t help passengers know which corridor those routes were travelling along, and I was told that they will update the Northbound destinations to say the corridor instead of “Downtown,” but it will take some time because “there are physical signage changes that need to be coordinated along with that” according to the email I received. I’m assuming this is referring to the bus stops that currently say “3/10 Downtown.” This could also be why the 8 hasn’t had its northbound destination updated yet.

I remember having that theory a while ago about the physical sign changes, but was met with skepticism from some folks... glad to see it's confirmed!

The main reason is because unlike other routes that have received the new "<street name> to <terminus>" headsigns, the original names for the 3, 8, and 10 used the street name as the southbound destination, so for example SB stops on Granville say "10 Granville". With these headsign changes, ideally those stops should say "10 Marine Drive Station" instead, naming the terminus rather than the street. To avoid having to change the physical signs (which of course costs money that is hard to come by), Translink kept it so that the Main/Fraser/Granville names continue to imply southbound, and the Downtown name continues to imply northbound.

It's also the reason why routes like 406 and 408 have been updated but 401, 402, 403, 404, and 405 haven't. The 406 bus stop signs already said "406 Steveston" and "406 Brighouse Station", so sticking on "Railway to ..." to the front of the headsigns didn't require any signage changes. But the 401 which also goes between Steveston and Brighouse would require changing the signs to say "401 Steveston" instead of "401 One Road" to avoid confusion.

• Like 2