Photography Equipment

One quick question: how bad is the distortion at the widest fields of view?

There seems to be a bit but I can't say it's been unmanageable to me. See the following for a detailed test:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/ca...55_28/index.htm

Your alternatives would be to get the Tamron or Sigma 18-50s. They're still pretty good lenses and are F2.8, but they don't have IS and they are not in the 17-55's league in terms of sharpness or autofocus. In particular, the Sigma one seems to have questionable AF - lots of people complain about missed shots. 'Course, they're also half the price.

The G9 is probably a pretty good alternative. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_g9-review/

Or if you want smaller yet, there is the A-series of cameras.

Yeah - but the G9 has RAW (which I use exclusively on my 20D, so it would be highly desirable on a compact) and a flash shoe. Also, the interface is a bit more DLSR-like (e.g. control dial at rear). It's not the smallest thing, true, but it seems to be small "enough".

Just a warning for anyone thinking of it - be very careful about mounting old flashes to new cameras without doing research. Some of the old flashes pass voltages through the flash shoe that can cause serious damage to the camera's electronics.

By pure coincidence, I stumbled across a good page on this topic, and I'm posting it here just in case anyone is thinking of using an old flash on a new camera. It has a good table of old flashes and their trigger voltages, as well as a "safe/not safe" flag for EOS cameras.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

I have a Nikon D50 digital SLR camera that I purchased in December 2005. This was a step-up from an older Konica Minolta Dimage Z3, which had worn out after a year of aggressive picture-taking.

I have four lenses for the D50:

1) the kit lens (Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6), which I no longer have use for.

2) a telephoto zoom lens (Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6) which I purchased in January 2006 and use occasionally.

3) a wide/telephoto zoom lens (Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6) which I purchased in September 2006 and is currently the lens that I use most often.

4) a wide-angle low-light lens (Sigma 30mm f/1.4) which I purchased in December 2006 and use for low-light situations.

I'd give my setup an 8.5 or a 9 out of 10 -- it's great. The only issues that I'm having are the limitations of the D50 itself (only 6 megapixels, compared with 10 or above for most modern digital SLRs; the lowest ISO is 200; and there are only 5 focus points) -- not to mention that the camera body is getting a bit old and it sometimes doesn't recognize lenses when I attach them.

As for a wish list, I'd like to purchase a mini-tripod -- preferably one with flexible legs that can wrap around certain surfaces. I'd also like to purchase some filters. In the long term, I'd like to upgrade to the D80 or D200 body, and perhaps purchase a fisheye or other ultra-wide lens at some point.

One thing I must say whenever you post your photos, it looks very sharp! Do you use a professional software to create it?

Just found out about a few brand new inexpensive IS lenses introduced by Canon sometimes really recently:

Canon 18-55 IS F3.5 - 4.5..........we (Black's photography) are selling them for $249.99 each

Canon 55-250 IS F4 - 5.6 - $349.99

Dave

Just found out about a few brand new inexpensive IS lenses introduced by Canon sometimes really recently:

Canon 18-55 IS F3.5 - 4.5..........we (Black's photography) are selling them for $249.99 each

Canon 55-250 IS F4 - 5.6 - $349.99

Dave

Yep. the 18-55 IS is a step up from the "kit" 18-55, but don't confuse it with the 17-55 which is in another league altogether. Still, it's a decent inexpensive walkaround lens.

One thing I must say whenever you post your photos, it looks very sharp! Do you use a professional software to create it?

Thanks!

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 to edit my photos (cropping, color management, and sharpening mostly) but it's a far cry from professional software.

Yep. the 18-55 IS is a step up from the "kit" 18-55, but don't confuse it with the 17-55 which is in another league altogether. Still, it's a decent inexpensive walkaround lens.

Couldn't find any reviews on the 18-55 IS, although I was looking at a review for the 17-85mm. There's a chance I'll go with that, or else I'll for the 18-55 IS, and 28-135 IS. Would love to get the 17-55. That might well end up being my next purchase.

Couldn't find any reviews on the 18-55 IS, although I was looking at a review for the 17-85mm. There's a chance I'll go with that, or else I'll for the 18-55 IS, and 28-135 IS. Would love to get the 17-55. That might well end up being my next purchase.

I personally own the 28-135 IS, and I find the 17-85 a little bit slower and stiffer when compared to my lens. But then, you get a wider angle with 17-85 IS. The Sigma 18-200 OS is actually not a bad lens either........I had a chance to bring the display lens in my store out for a day in Abbotsford shooting buses, and it actually performed quite well all day long until the sky became pitch dark! Another good feature is the image quality stays fairly sharp throughout the entire range (18-200).......as some may know, many lenses with a wide range like that tends to produce images that are a bit soft as your zoom increases. But, the Sigma 18-200 OS is pretty stable in that case! Check out a few pictures taken with my Rebel XTi / Sigma 18-200 OS!

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/c1425824.html (All these photos here are taken with the sigma 18-200 OS)

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p47291201.html (Zoomed out all the way)

Dave

I personally own the 28-135 IS, and I find the 17-85 a little bit slower and stiffer when compared to my lens. But then, you get a wider angle with 17-85 IS.

How do you find the IS on those two lenses? The 28-135 is an older generation of IS and from what I've read, has about a stop less of stabilization compared to the 17-85.

I'd have to agree that 28mm on a crop camera is not wide angle at all, so I'd be very hesitant to have the 28-135 without having a wide angle solution. Even 17 mm isn't really all that wide.

How do you find the IS on those two lenses? The 28-135 is an older generation of IS and from what I've read, has about a stop less of stabilization compared to the 17-85.

I'd have to agree that 28mm on a crop camera is not wide angle at all, so I'd be very hesitant to have the 28-135 without having a wide angle solution. Even 17 mm isn't really all that wide.

Haven't really had a chance to seriously test the 17-85 IS.........the only time I got to play around with it was the time when me and George Prior (G. Prior) went to pick up a 28-135 IS from the owner who just bought the 17-85 IS. The indoor photos turned out pretty decent, except it was pretty stiff.........that's all the impression I have on the 17-85 IS

Dave

Haven't really had a chance to seriously test the 17-85 IS.........the only time I got to play around with it was the time when me and George Prior (G. Prior) went to pick up a 28-135 IS from the owner who just bought the 17-85 IS. The indoor photos turned out pretty decent, except it was pretty stiff.........that's all the impression I have on the 17-85 IS

I'd have to agree. It's a fairly decent lens and certainly a really nice set of focal lengths, with good fast AF and IS. The major reason I got the 17-55 to replace mine was to get the F2.8 aperture for indoor use.

• 2 weeks later...

Canon is comin' out with a few new cameras!

Canon Powershot A590 IS (Replacement for A570 IS)

Pretty much the same as A720 IS......in fact, its zoom power is less!

Features of this camera:

8.0 megapixles

4x optical zoom

2.5" LCD screen

DIGI III image processor

Here's something new:

Motion detection technology..........definition:

"Motion Detection Technology automatically reduces blur by calculating subject movement and selecting ideal exposure and ISO settings"

Canon A580 (Replacement for A560)

Pretty much the same as A590 IS, with the lack of image stabilization.

http://www.bccamera.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=1308

Now here's somethin' cool:

Canon Digital Rebel XSi (Replacement for Digital Rebel XTi)

12.2 megapixle

3.5 fps

9 point AF

3" LCD

Uses SD / SDHC memory media

compatible with all EF / EF-S lenses

14-bit conversion processor

http://www.bccamera.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=1307

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012415...450dchanges.asp

Well..........Canon is not alone, Nikon is comin' out with something new too!

Nikon D60 (Replacement for D40x)

SEE for yourself:

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3697

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012911nikond601st.asp

WOW.........so many new stuff comin' out! I had to edit my post for the SECOND time because everytime I finished modifying, I found something new afterwards!

What do you think?

Dave

Very nice. Glad to see Canon finally moving to using SD/SDHC in their cameras, especially since the price of SD is far below CF for the same capacity now. The D60 also looks pretty nice, glad to see a dust removal system for the sensor and the VR variant of the 18-55 is now the kit lens

The one other thing that I saw earlier that Nikon introduced that is kinda cool is their new perspective control lens. Allows you to tilt or shift the lens from the camera body to an extent.

Very nice. Glad to see Canon finally moving to using SD/SDHC in their cameras, especially since the price of SD is far below CF for the same capacity now.

I will be surprised if the higher EOS models move to exclusively to SD. CF allows more room for higher capacities, and I doubt pros want tiny cards that are easy to lose in handling. Also, pro users are more likely to have an investment in cards and forcing them to switch would cost them money. I could see Canon going to dual slots, though, and giving people the choice.

I will be surprised if the higher EOS models move to exclusively to SD. CF allows more room for higher capacities, and I doubt pros want tiny cards that are easy to lose in handling. Also, pro users are more likely to have an investment in cards and forcing them to switch would cost them money. I could see Canon going to dual slots, though, and giving people the choice.

If they had gone to dual slots I might have considered going for the XSi. But, I have both SD and CF cards, and I can buy an adapter that allows me to use my SD cards in a CF slot but certainly not vice versa!

Still aiming for the 30D I think...

After being out in the cold, with gloves on, I quickly remembered one of the other reason I like bigger camera bodies... easier to handle with gloves on. I had my bothers Canon S5 IS with me and it was ok to handle with gloves on. It was certainly better than my P&S digital camera would have been.

Canon Digital Rebel XSi (Replacement for Digital Rebel XTi)

12.2 megapixle

3.5 fps

9 point AF

3" LCD

Uses SD / SDHC memory media

compatible with all EF / EF-S lenses

14-bit conversion processor

http://www.bccamera.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=1307

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012415...450dchanges.asp

Me thinks I need to get myself an SLR! :huh:

The one other thing that I saw earlier that Nikon introduced that is kinda cool is their new perspective control lens. Allows you to tilt or shift the lens from the camera body to an extent.

That is a specialty lens used for photographing buildings and other things. The 16-85mm VR seems very interesting, it's wide and good telephoto and also VR. I still haven't found Canadian pricing on it yet so can't say if it's good.

I still haven't found Canadian pricing on it yet so can't say if it's good.

That comment got me to thinking.

Has anyone noticed any changes in prices for cameras and equipment in Canada, given the current exchange rate?

While I can understand how and why prices might not drop right away, I'm curious if the new items might be a bit cheaper, given that they were manufactured more recently with the stronger Canadian dollar.

I might well end up ordering equipment out of the US if I can get cheaper than in Canada, even though I would rather support local stores.

Not sure that the prices will be lowering - they like to rip off Canadians any way they can. If you order anything expensive out of the US, be prepared for customs duty which could bring it back up to being the same price, or more. :huh:

Not sure that the prices will be lowering - they like to rip off Canadians any way they can. If you order anything expensive out of the US, be prepared for customs duty which could bring it back up to being the same price, or more. :huh:

There's no duty on most (all?) photographic equipment. You will pay customs brokerage fees, which is a different thing entirely, but that can be minimized by intelligent choice of shipping method. USPS is $6 flat rate for brokerage, Fedex, UPS Expedited, and other "air" methods generally include brokerage in the price, but UPS Ground should be avoided at all costs as you will get royally dinged for brokerage.

Best bet is to shop at BHPhoto.com. Their prices are good, they have a solid reputation, and their Canadian shipping methods all include brokerage in the price.

Beyond that, yeah, you have to compare. Some items are significantly cheaper in the US, some aren't. One example is the Canon 17-55/2.8 IS lens I ordered in the fall; it was about $350 cheaper ("to the door", all costs included) shipped from BH compared to any local prices.

Also, you need to look at warranty issues. Canon SLRs come with international warranties so you're completely safe buying from the US, but many other products (including Nikons, IIRC) will require you to send the product back to the US if you want to make warranty claims.

A.) What camera(s) do you use? (Please specify if it's a film camera)

The camera I use is a Canon Powershot A550 (although I have used the A540 and a Kodak one too)

B.) What lenses do you use? (when applicable)

No add-ons, Point-and-Shoot

C.) On a scale of 10, how would you rate your camera / lens?

I would rate mine a 9, considering that I have fallen several times with camera in hand, it still takes great pictures.

D.) Do you have a wish list of photography equipments that you would like to have? (if applicable)

Not at the moment, except to maybe go to the A6xx series in Canon.

There's no duty on most (all?) photographic equipment. You will pay customs brokerage fees, which is a different thing entirely, but that can be minimized by intelligent choice of shipping method. USPS is $6 flat rate for brokerage, Fedex, UPS Expedited, and other "air" methods generally include brokerage in the price, but UPS Ground should be avoided at all costs as you will get royally dinged for brokerage.

Best bet is to shop at BHPhoto.com. Their prices are good, they have a solid reputation, and their Canadian shipping methods all include brokerage in the price.

Beyond that, yeah, you have to compare. Some items are significantly cheaper in the US, some aren't. One example is the Canon 17-55/2.8 IS lens I ordered in the fall; it was about $350 cheaper ("to the door", all costs included) shipped from BH compared to any local prices.

Also, you need to look at warranty issues. Canon SLRs come with international warranties so you're completely safe buying from the US, but many other products (including Nikons, IIRC) will require you to send the product back to the US if you want to make warranty claims.

I've ordered from B&H before. I made it worth my while by ordering more than one item and ended up with a better deal than I could get up here for the flash, some slide film and a few other goodies. I would have got my SD to CF adapter but they were out of stock.

B&H is where I have been looking at prices as well, recently.

I've ordered from B&H before. I made it worth my while by ordering more than one item and ended up with a better deal than I could get up here for the flash, some slide film and a few other goodies. I would have got my SD to CF adapter but they were out of stock.

Good point. Shipping costs are asymptomatic, so the first item or two can be cost you a bit, but additional items tend to have minimal extra shipping cost.