Photography Equipment

That is one reason I fear owning one. The other one being someone robbing me, as those things are big and expensive. How long does it take (typically) from the moment you hit power on to be able to shoot a photo on a DSLR? My E900 is able to shoot in about 1 second from power off, so it's good for taking quick shots and hiding the camera quickly. B)

The newest Canon Rebels take 0.2 seconds to start up.

for anyone who has a Canon Rebel XT or XTi on this board, what settings do you use as your defalt setting for a standard bus photo?

Normally I rely on the P mode (point-and-shoot), with my ISO set to 200, and 400 when the amount of light is insufficient.

At night-time, I usually use Av-mode.........aperture-priority mode, which enhances the shutter speed.

Normally I use A-DEP mode when I don't want to screw things up at daytime, and I find that quite useful when the camera doesn't try to blur up the background. (bad for panning, but good if you just want a clear shot of an object)

I still consider myself as a beginnier to the SLR world, so I would like to hear from the real SLR pros too!

Dave

Not just that, some people threaten you and they want to smash your toy!

I'll smash them.

Normally I rely on the P mode (point-and-shoot), with my ISO set to 200, and 400 when the amount of light is insufficient.

At night-time, I usually use Av-mode.........aperture-priority mode, which enhances the shutter speed.

Normally I use A-DEP mode when I don't want to screw things up at daytime, and I find that quite useful when the camera doesn't try to blur up the background. (bad for panning, but good if you just want a clear shot of an object)

I still consider myself as a beginnier to the SLR world, so I would like to hear from the real SLR pros too!

Dave

Stationary object I'll shoot in P mode. Anything moving, I shoot with TV (shutter priority). I'll try to shoot a moving vehicle at no slower than 1/350, although I will go as slow as 1/250. I have on occasion I have used 1/180... especially for trolleybuses going through special work as they are going kind of slow.

I do try to shoot moving vehicles from 1/500 - 1/1000. Typically on an overcast day, shooting in shadows etc. I will set exposure comp (EV) to +1 regardless of which mode I'm using.

Off course, shooting with a fully manual SLR I find the most enjoyable.

for anyone who has a Canon Rebel XT or XTi on this board, what settings do you use as your defalt setting for a standard bus photo?

What about people with Canon Rebel's (the 6.3 megapixel version)- hey we have lots of functions on our cameras too :P

I use P mode for almost all still shots in crappy/fair weather

I use M mode for almost all motion shots/very sunny days.

I don't like the shutter speeds the camera gives on P mode when I'm shooting motion or on a biight sunny day, I find they are too slow for my liking.

yea true, but i don't think many people are after cameras.

Not just that, some people threaten you and they want to smash your toy!

I live in Toronto! Anything is possible in this joint :P

I've seen people robbed for less here...

• 2 months later...

The S4 IS is coming out pretty soon I think..........but yea, the S3 IS is a nice camera! Either wait till the S4 IS to come out, and the price of S3 IS should drop...........or get the latest S4 IS!

Dave

It's not called S4 IS but S5 IS. Canon does not use the number 4 in their model numbers, as it is an unlucky number in Japan.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp

A.) Canon Powershot S200 Digital ELPH (yes I know it's like 5 years old :angry: )

B.) None

C.) 5.5/10

D.) Yes I do.

- Canon Powershot S3 IS (Which I'm ordering tonight or tomorrow :P )

- Tripod

- Way better camera case

- New rechargeable battery as the one I got right now is almost dead :D

Advance warning, that sucker takes a hefty 4 double A's.

I carry around a total of 8 AA batteries (4 camera/4 spare) for my camera at any given time. While this may seem excessive, it has helped countless times and prevented a flurry of curse words when I'm out in the cold in a spot and the dreaded battery low light comes on.

Advance warning, that sucker takes a hefty 4 double A's.

I carry around a total of 8 AA batteries (4 camera/4 spare) for my camera at any given time. While this may seem excessive, it has helped countless times and prevented a flurry of curse words when I'm out in the cold in a spot and the dreaded battery low light comes on.

Ok thanks for the warning.

I've seen some other forums which keep lists of the cameraes / lenses that are used by the members, which I thought it's quite interesting, especially when we have lots of photographers on this board!

Several questions to be answered:

A.) What camera(s) do you use? (Please specify if it's a film camera)

B.) What lenses do you use? (when applicable)

C.) On a scale of 10, how would you rate your camera / lens?

D.) Do you have a wish list of photography equipments that you would like to have? (if applicable)

My answers:

A.) Olympus C4000.

B.) I don't have any extra lenses for the camera.

C.) 8/10. Good camera until you try and take night photos because night photos never come out.

D.) Something to allow better photos in the dark.

Dave

My answers:

A.) Olympus C4000.

B.) I don't have any extra lenses for the camera.

C.) 8/10. Good camera until you try and take night photos because night photos never come out.

D.) Something to allow better photos in the dark.

Have you tried using a tripod to stabilize your camera?

Dave

• 2 months later...

D.) Do you have a wish list of photography equipments that you would like to have? (if applicable)

A) Nikon D50 dSLR with a point & shoot HP R717

B.) :D 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 D, with the conversion at 43-160 I think. It provides good range with out much camera shake.

C) My camera is pretty good at everything it does and so is the lens. The lens is pretty fast and smooth during zooming so it's great. The camera can be improved with a few things, like a remote or a checp Nikon flash.

D) Yeah of course!! LOL :lol: I can go on: Nikon D300, 50mm 1.4, 18-200mm VR ($900), 85mm 1.8, 15mm fisheyes, lol......

In the near future: 50mm 1.8 or a 55-200mm VR

A.) Nikon D40

B.) 10-20mm Sigma, 18-55mm Nikkor, 70-300mm Nikkor (all 3 with UV filters, and polarizers for the latter 2)

C.) 8/10

D.) Good flash for the rare indoor shots where the built-in doesn't quite cut it

Overall a nice setup, the 3 lenses cover a pretty wide range. Also picked up a decent Manfrotto tripod a few weeks back, although with the 70-300 lens having the image stabilization I haven't had much use for it yet.

A.) Canon Powershot A430

B.) its point and shoot (hence my D40)

C.) 3/10

D.) nothing for this thing

This one usually rides along with my D40, much more suitable for the quick shots where I may not have time to pop out the D40.

• 4 weeks later...

I traded in my Sony Cybershot DSC-T9 for a brand new Canon SD850 IS Digital Elph this morning, at Henry's. I wasn't too happy with the Sony's Image Quality, and since i've been a Canon Fan for a long time (have been buying them since), It looks like I made a bad mistake last year when I got the Sony. At least I was able to trade it in! :D

a.) Canon Powershot S3 IS.

b.) comes with the camera.

c.) I'd give it an 8.2, (if not more). Only complaints are noticable noise anywhere above 200 ISO, and the 15sec. max manual shutter timer.

d.) maybe some filters, perhaps a quick-attach head for my tripod. Maybe a DSLR in the future, but I'm happy with the S3.

*With the new S5 out, if you can pick an S3 up cheaply (seen some for $300-$350 now) I'd highly recommend it. The S3 makes a great primary or backup camera, especially when you don't want to take your expensive DSLR out, and takes amazing video for a P&S (albeit a high-end one).