Enviro 500

Photography Equipment

497 posts in this topic

The 18-55mm kit lens would be fine if you're within 5m of the bus.

Sorry but it sounds like you either don't take many transit pictures and/or have not used a 18-55 lens often for transit photography. As someone who once used a 18-55 lens often for transit photography I found it very sufficient for everyday transit photography, and not just "within 5m of the bus". Even when I used a 17-85 all the time I found I didn't use the lens full focal length often.

You'll appreciate a longer lens if your subject is further away

This is true in some scenarios, but like I just said I believe the 18-55 lens is suitable for most everyday transit photography.

1 person likes this

7200 showing up at my door tomorrow or Thursday!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

May I ask you why you decided on the 5200 vs the 5500 and 3000 series or even 7000 series?

Never knew I was gonna get it so IDK.

Funny thing is, the bag that came with the kit was defective. The clips would not come loose.

Never knew I was gonna get it so IDK.

Funny thing is, the bag that came with the kit was defective. The clips would not come loose.

OK, thanks. I was just curious as it was one of the cameras I was looking at before I got my 3300.

After Nikon announced the D5 and the D500 at CES this year, I am tempted to go out and pick up a D500. Successor to the fantastic D300, enthusiast grade, all the dials I need and beats the Canon 7D Mark II on paper. What more could I ask for? At $2000, it doesn't seem a lot compared to it's full frame variants, although the D750 is tempting as well at only $2700. It's going to be a huge upgrade from my D5200, which I have long outgrown.

After Nikon announced the D5 and the D500 at CES this year, I am tempted to go out and pick up a D500. Successor to the fantastic D300, enthusiast grade, all the dials I need and beats the Canon 7D Mark II on paper. What more could I ask for? At $2000, it doesn't seem a lot compared to it's full frame variants, although the D750 is tempting as well at only $2700. It's going to be a huge upgrade from my D5200, which I have long outgrown.

It would be interesting to see how the D500 high ISO compare with the D750. How the D500's AF compare to the 5D Mk III is the next question. The D500 seems promising, much better than the D7200.

At that price point, I'd be very tempted to go for a D610 just for the fact its full frame. Nothing against cropped sensors, but it would be nice to have a 35mm lens that is a 35mm lens - of course the better ISO performance of a full frame is a good thing too - but thats just my personal preference :)

Added a Sony A77II to the roster along with a Sony 16-50mm F2.8 among other lenses.

I hate to say this... But because I film most of my transit encounters (see: Transit Fanning Kinston), an iPhone 6/6s or SE is more than good enough for me. All shoot in 1080p at 60fps, and have the option to go 4k at 30fps. However, I cannot live with it for taking photos. it's awful. I have used the Sony A series, my favorite being the A58. Can anybody recommend me a good DSLR for a small price? I have looked around, and I can't seem to find a good blend between video and photos.

15 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Stick with the Sony. :D

Haha, I probably will. Is there a specific model you particularly like?

Running the A55 and A77. Love them both, althought the A77 is the workhorse of the pair. The A77 will chew through batteries pretty fast though. 

A77 II doesn't have GPS onboard.  Version 1 does.

Got a new D3400 last Friday, (Black Friday) with 18-55mm & 70-300mm lenses plus a bag to contain everything for $600.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

My setup:

A.)

- Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ200 serves as my main equipmemt for photos

-Samsung ST67 as a backup in case my FZ200 goes wrong

-HTC One M9 serves as a emergency back-up in case I left the house not planning to bring my camera with me but something showed up last moment. It's also my main recording device as the sound quality for video is practically perfect.

B.) no lenses, the FZ200 is a bridge camera (between a DSLR/Point & Shoot) so it has a 24-600mm zoom capability which is built in to save money from buying various lenses. Although it does have the option to add a tele-lens extending that zoom cap.

D.) 10/10, personally the 24-600mm is the main part that makes it so good, I even think it's a dream to get a camera that zooms optically that far for a built in lens lol. Although it's sensor is limited by 12MP it still manages to produce terrific shots, just that I'm not sure if I'd want to use it for print-out's

~Funny thing is that I originally wanted a D3400. But then after a long chat with the camera store clerk showed me otherwise. Need-less to say I'm happy that chat happened as I got essentially the same thing performance wise and saved a potential hole in my wallet lol

Also on the topic of being asked why are you taking photos, I personally think that drivers are less likely to ask those with actual camera rather than a phone or small point shoot. Why? Because 2 reasons:

1. Logic (or my logic that is lol) - who wastes $400+ to buy a camera for photos that are directed in hate towards the system (excluding phones)

2. It's the general public that takes the "I hate transit to post on social media" a majority being taken with phones. So it probably raises a slight red flag towards drivers should they be aware of such thing. (depending on the friendly rating of said driver).

Although just to point out I only speak from what I've experienced so it might be different for others anyway lol. Just my 2 cents on the whole thing.

P1000081.JPG

Edited by BramptonTransitFan84

Anyone in the GTA with DSLR bodies/lens/setups they'd like to sell? Contact or PM me if you have anything...

I am on year 4 with my Nikon Coolpix L30. Works like a beauty. The only two flaws is sometimes it will quickly unfocus then take the shot which is rare and not enough exposure which most images turn out nice still though. I use my LG G5 at night or in the subway stations underground. Three examples of sunlight the darkening flaw and a night shot.

20244637299_c6b004b20d_b.jpg

14318318771_38e296f205_b.jpg

31195909710_0c2ddb1476_b.jpg