Photography Equipment

Enviro 500

I've seen some other forums which keep lists of the cameraes / lenses that are used by the members, which I thought it's quite interesting, especially when we have lots of photographers on this board!

Several questions to be answered:

A.) What camera(s) do you use? (Please specify if it's a film camera)

B.) What lenses do you use? (when applicable)

C.) On a scale of 10, how would you rate your camera / lens?

D.) Do you have a wish list of photography equipments that you would like to have? (if applicable)

So here's mine:

A.) I mainly use my Canon Rebel XTi, while my S2 IS serve as back-up in case something's wrong with my XTi...........also I use my S2 IS for white-balance night shots

B.) I use a Canon 28-135 IS USM 3.5-5.6 mainly, and I am planning to sell off my Tamron 28-200mm 3.8-5.6............I also have a Canon 50mm f1.8 (prime lens)

C.) I love my XTi..............so I'll give it a 10! My Canon S2 IS, since it's been "overused" for 1 year, lots of things are going funny..........but otherwise, it's a great camera as well. When it was brand new, I would give it a 9/10, but right now I'll rate it as 7/10

D.) I'm glad to say my dreams all came true! :)

Share yours!

Dave

For me,my equipment is Canon EOS350D DSLR with EFS 18-55mm lense for taking some bus pic and landscape pic, also I have EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III lense for plane spot in YVR~~

However, I would like to seeking some lense to have maximum 400-500mm for plane spotting also, but I don't have time to grab it even though I have money for this lense~~ :);)

A.) All film B.) What lenses do you use? (when applicable)

All film

Canon EOS:

- 3000N

- 10S

Lenses:

- Sigma 28-300mm

- Canon 50mm

- Canon 28-105mm

- Canon 75-300mm

- Tameron 28-80mm or something like that.

First two are my primary lenses.

Olympus OM Series

- OM-1 body with power winder

Lenses

-24mm Vivitar

- 50mm Zukio

- Tameron 28-80mm

24mm is the primary lens on that camera.

C.) 10. Because if I wasn't happy, I wouldn't have them.

D.) Not so much a wish list but rather "I'm buying it sometime this year list"... EOS 30D.

A) Canon Rebel (300D) DSLR, Kodak DX3900 (fairly old model now) rarely used

B.) I have 3 lenses Canon EFS 18-55mm stock, Canon EF 28-105mm F4-5.6, Canon 50mm F1.8

C) 8/10, seeing all these bigger (megapixels) and better Canon DSLR's sometimes makes my 6.3 megapixels jealous. Overall great camera though!

D) A longer telephoto lens would be a possible next purchuase, say up to 300mm

Let's see here...

A.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D), which I use most of the time. I also have a Canon PowerShot SD500 point and shoot camera, which still gets a lot of use despite the fact that I've had the SLR for close to a year, it comes with me when I'm going somewhere but want a camera I can just slip in my pocket.

B.

With my Canon Digital Rebel XT, I use the following lenses:

-Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (my main lens)

-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

-Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6

C.

My equipment suits me just fine. The last time I bought a lens was last August, which was when I got the 28-105mm as a replacement for the 18-55mm that shipped with the Rebel XT. That lens just didn't cut it for me, but the 28-105mm is perfect for my purposes, even if it's not a $1grand L lens. :angry:

D.

I can't think of any equipment that I definitely want to get at the moment... though I'm debating the possibility of obtaining, at some point, a wide-angle prime lens, for instance the Canon EF 35mm f/2.0, mainly for portraits and concert shooting. See the portrait photos thread for examples.

A: I currently use a HP Photosmart R717, 6.2MP 3X- (35mm-119mm) It's been great for me as it's compact and uses Li-On batteries. The pictures IMO are better than a Canon P&S. I've taken 3000 pictures and all is great and I would never think of replacing it except for a dSLR.

B: N/A

C: I would give my R717 a great 9/10.

• The pictures are great in good lighting.
  • It's reliable all the time, the batteries are long lasting.
  • And it's compact, fits in any jacket pocket.

D: I've been thinking about this for a while and my next camera of choice would be the Sony Alpha 100 with the new lens Carl Zeiss 16-80mm. and maybe with the 75-300mm lens.

I've seen some other forums which keep lists of the cameraes / lenses that are used by the members, which I thought it's quite interesting, especially when we have lots of photographers on this board!

D.) Do you have a wish list of photography equipments that you would like to have? (if applicable)

A

Canon Powershot A530 (Currently in use)

Sony Cybershot P-8 (On loan, in use)

HP Photosmart 435 (Last resort use)

D-Link DSC-350 (Paperweight due to lens defect)

B

None

C

8/10, due to the desire for the always changing technology. I got my A530 for only $160 brand new.

D

A more sturdier tripod is on my wishlist. My tripod's legs are so fragile and malleable that I have to resort to newspaper boxes and benches as a substitute.

A.) Canon A640 due to conveience. Mainly use for local area.

I also have Canon Elan 7, film camera. Seldomly use due to size. Going to be use mainly long distance and bus charters.

B.) None, I wish I have the money to spend on good lens.

C.) A640, I say 8. Elan 7, about 9. As you know, P&S camera you have to know how to use the function more than SLR.

D.) Going for digial SLR, going to wait till the price drops which is about few years later. And smaller camera bag.

A.) Kodak Easyshare C330, 4.0MP. I also have a 3.2MP HP Photosmart 735 which I hardly use now every since I got my C330 last year.

C.) I'd rate my camera 8/10. Some things I was looking for before I got it was a digital camera with optical zoom, video & also small enough to fit into my jacket pocket, and my C330 does all that but one thing I don't like about it is that when your watching video that you recorded on the LCD screen it plays it with no sound which I don't like, but I can live with that.

D.) Right now I'm thinking of getting a tripod but I'm trying to decide if I should or not since I don't know if I'd use it a lot or not. I'm also thinking of getting a small bag/pouch.

A ) Canon Digital IXUS 50 (aka Powershot SD400)

B ) Um...the one that comes with it :P (It's a camera-for-dummies aka point-and-shoot)

C ) The camera's great for its size. It's 8.5x5.5cm and a bit thicker than 2cm so it fits almost everywhere. Of course it's not as great as a SLR but it does its job and I'm happy with it :lol:

D ) A backup battery hahaha. The only thing that sucks about this camera is that it doesn't tell me how much battery it has left.

The only thing that sucks about this camera is that it doesn't tell me how much battery it has left.

Not even when it's low? My camera shows a small yellow battery on the corner of the screen when the battery is low, usually if you take a picture using flash after the battery appears the batteries die a couple seconds after it finishes processing the picture.

Not even when it's low? My camera shows a small yellow battery on the corner of the screen when the battery is low, usually if you take a picture using flash after the battery appears the batteries die a couple seconds after it finishes processing the picture.

Well yeah it tells me 5 minutes before it wants to quit. That's as good as having no notice at all :lol:

A. Sony DSC-V3 (my own), Sony DSC-H5 (my dad's), Sony DCR-HC30 (my old video camera)

B. Not lenses, but equipment:

Manfrotto Monopod

Slik Tripod

Memory sticks: 2x8mb, 1x256mb, 4x512mb, 4x1gb, 1x2gb. I only ever use the 2gb anymore, I get 580-odd pictures on it. My dad usually uses only one of the 1gbs.

C. DSC-V3 - 8.5/10. Better optical zoom would be very nice.

DSC-H5 - 9/10. Very good optical zoom, but it looks ugly without the plastic hood, which serves almost no purpose (unless shooting across the sun) and there is no place to rest it on the beak of my hat! :P

DCR-HC30 - 7/10. Has to record on tapes for any quality, not HD, been in for repair too many times.

D. There is a telephoto attachment for my camera, which would be very nice, along with a new HD camcorder that records on a hard drive. :lol:

I have a few...

Digital Main

A.) Canon Powershot A630

C.) 8, much like the A70 I have it's a pretty solid camera.

D.) A 4gb or 8gb SD card.

Backup

A.) Canon Powershot A70 (I have two of these)

C.) 9, even though this camera was only 3.2mp it served its purpose and took a four years of heavy use (daily at times).

Film Main

A. Minolta Maxxum XTsi

B.) Minolta 28-80mm

C.) 7, all around great, but it doesn't compare to the old school Minolta's I was trained on.

D.) Ummmm.... for now i'm looking at getting a Sigma 75-300mm lens for the camera.

A) Two Sonys:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73.

B ) n/a

C0 9/10 for both of them, the P73 was a great camera for its' time.

D) Probably a tripod.

In terms of memory, I have a 4GB Sony Memory stick Pro Duo.

A) Two Sonys:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73.

B ) n/a

C0 9/10 for both of them, the P73 was a great camera for its' time.

D) Probably a tripod.

In terms of memory, I have a 4GB Sony Memory stick Pro Duo.

I'll add to that:

A)

• Canon film camera - sucks because I can't work with the viewfinder properly
  • Sony Ericsson W810i - lens is cleaner than P73's, so colours turn out better sometimes :P but quite noisy
  • Really old Minolta camera, before they were with Konica - I'll see if I can take some pics of it. This one has removable/attachable lens, and has a lens where a hexagonal image can be produced :P Photoshop back in its day I suppose

D) I was going to get the Canon S3 IS but D.Yip is sony-biased ;)

I feel left out. It looks like I am the only one so far that has a Fuji camera.

1 - I had a 2.0 MP Fuji Finepix 2650 P&S digital camera (and I had it for a very long time!) I've since upgraded to a 9.0 MP Fuji E900 P&S digital.

2 - No extra lens.

3 - Overall I'm very happy with the E900. 10/10 for what I mainly use it for.

I got all my accessory needs covered. A small camera bag, 2 sets of Ni-mh batteries, and a 1 GB XD picture card. I think I can live without a tripod for now.

I would like to go for a DSLR, but the things are just too big for my taste!

A.) Cannon Powershot A80

1.3MP Samsung A920 (yes i know i use a cellphone) :P

B.)Nope

C.)7/10 for the A80 only because there is no way i know for how much battery power is left and 9/10 for the phone because its small enough to fit in my pocket, and plus if i see any odd bus sightings i just have to take out my phone :P , also if anyone asks i tell them either: "no i wasn't taking any pictures, i was just watching tv." (which i do when waiting in line for the bus) or "i'm taking pictures for a school project."

D.)New camera, a tripod, mabey some lenses, and a better case.

Thats why i sometimes clip my GoCard to my pocket. That way people know or the transit cops or mall security knows that i'm a high school student. :lol:

also if anyone asks i tell them either: "no i wasn't taking any pictures, i was just watching tv." (which i do when waiting in line for the bus) or "i'm taking pictures for a school project.

And that is called lying.

I have/ had a friend who would tell people when asked what he was talking photos of buses for that they were for postcards. I don't know why he would tell them that.

its going to take some time to get use to my DSLR. its easy to spot by drivers and transit staff so that could be a bad thing..

That is one reason I fear owning one. The other one being someone robbing me, as those things are big and expensive. How long does it take (typically) from the moment you hit power on to be able to shoot a photo on a DSLR? My E900 is able to shoot in about 1 second from power off, so it's good for taking quick shots and hiding the camera quickly. B)