Photography Equipment

Enviro 500

My school's Yearbook staff kindly loaned me a Nikon D40 with an 18-55mm lens for today. After trying it out, I want to buy one really bad :P

Is anyone willing to sell if they have one?

Try eBay and also look for the D40x and D60. Both those models are IDENTICAL to the D40, just a bit newer and they probably have the VR lens.

Chris Cassidy

• 4 weeks later...

recently ive been looking around for a nikon D3100 with 18-55mm VR lens kit. I kept a close eye on retail prices and on craigslist. I noticed on craigslist that the price range is from 450-475 dollars. But i've also stumbled across a website specializing in new and used cameras in vancouver. www.kerrisdalecameras.com. My question is: are the prices on craigslist fair? or should i go to a used dealer for a better deal?

recently ive been looking around for a nikon D3100 with 18-55mm VR lens kit. I kept a close eye on retail prices and on craigslist. I noticed on craigslist that the price range is from 450-475 dollars. But i've also stumbled across a website specializing in new and used cameras in vancouver. www.kerrisdalecameras.com. My question is: are the prices on craigslist fair? or should i go to a used dealer for a better deal?

Craigslist prices are very fair. A dealer will always try you more as they've got overhead to cover.

Chris Cassidy

Try eBay and also look for the D40 and D60.

Chris Cassidy

I should get that... Not only i like the shutter sound, it also reminds me of a type of bus... D40/60

I was going to get the Pentax K-R (the one with many, many, many colours), but i'm now looking for possibly a Nikon... But I don't know how to use it... I'm used to using Canon...

So, in my hunt for DSLR cameras, I've narrowed my search down to the Nikon D40, D3000, and the new D3100. I'm not considering any other cameras since I've had some experience in using the Nikon 18-55mm lens and I'm quite comfortable with it.

Anyways, one of the teachers at my school had recommended the Nikon D40 purely for the reason of the cost, and I'm heavily considering it because of my previous experience with it. However, I'm still stuck as to which one I really want. Any recommendations out of these three?

So, in my hunt for DSLR cameras, I've narrowed my search down to the Nikon D40, D3000, and the new D3100. I'm not considering any other cameras since I've had some experience in using the Nikon 18-55mm lens and I'm quite comfortable with it.

Anyways, one of the teachers at my school had recommended the Nikon D40 purely for the reason of the cost, and I'm heavily considering it because of my previous experience with it. However, I'm still stuck as to which one I really want. Any recommendations out of these three?

In reality you can get any one of these cameras, D40, D40x, D60, D3000, and D3100 are all pretty much the same minus a few things:

1) Megapixel count (which doesn't matter)

2) AF Points (not really too big of a deal, if you need more AF points you'll probably want a higher end camera)

3) Screen size (not a big deal)

4) I think the D3100 does video

Chris Cassidy

I bought a Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L tonight. Yeah... I figured it was time to take a step up from the trusty 75-300 f/4-5.6 non-USM. :unsure: Though a cheap lens (pretty much the cheapest Canon offers in that focal range), it does the job, despite being noisy and looking rather silly and small on my 5D.

In reality you can get any one of these cameras, D40, D40x, D60, D3000, and D3100 are all pretty much the same minus a few things:

1) Megapixel count (which doesn't matter)

2) AF Points (not really too big of a deal, if you need more AF points you'll probably want a higher end camera)

3) Screen size (not a big deal)

4) I think the D3100 does video

Chris Cassidy

the D3100 does 1080 HD video with 24fps.im considering the the D3100 also if you wanna help each other out :U

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I have retired my Kodak EasyShare C813 for good yesterday and replaced it with a Nikon Coolpix L24 point and shoot camera. I intend for it to be temporary until I'm able to purchase higher grade camera. It shoots 14 MP photos and can do 1080p HD. I haven't done testing with it yet (and I have 10 days to return it if I don't like it), but has anyone else had any experience with this camera or any Nikon point and shoots? Any tips? Thanks :)

• 1 month later...
A.) What camera(s) do you use? (Please specify if it's a film camera)

Nikon D-80 (2007) and Nikon D-700 (2011), both DLSRs.

B.) What lenses do you use? (when applicable)

Nikkor 28-85mm ƒ3.5-4.5 AT (late 1980s) — A good lens for general close-quarter shots and casual photography. Rating: 8/10

Nikkor 70-210mm ƒ4.5-5.6 AF-D (late 1980s) — A very good telezoom, which I use mainly to shoot trains. Rating: 8/10

Nikkor 50mm ƒ1.4 AF-D (2011) — A classic prime lens with great low-light performance and excellent sharpness; this is the kind of lens we old farts learned to take pictures with. That’s the lens I mostly use for my work (art photo). Rating: (10/10)

Nikkor 28mm ƒ2.8 AF-D (2011) — An excellent wide-angle that works very well in low-light; that’s what I use for my Métro pictures. Rating: (9.5/10)

C.) On a scale of 10, how would you rate your camera / lens?

Depends on the lens… See above… But the camera is an absolute 10; it’s the third best Nikon makes.

D.) Do you have a wish list of photography equipments that you would like to have? (if applicable)

Not really, with the above, I’ve got pretty much all my bases covered, and getting anything better would be so much more expensive… :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
the D3100 does 1080 HD video with 24fps.im considering the the D3100 also if you wanna help each other out :U

24fps if quite low. You'll notice that you might have a very blurry video, even if you keep the camera steady. You may want something that does at least 30fps.

(29.97fps is fine.)

I got my new camera delivered to me today. I decided I was ready to upgrade to a DSLR so I got a Canon T3. I got it through a family friend who works at Canon so I saved about $100-$150. For now I'm going to stick with the 18-55mm kit lens but I do plan on getting more lens for it possibly later this year or early next year when I'm more comfortable with the camera and lens and can decide on which lens(es) to get. I'm going to be using my T3 for planned transit fanning trips and charters while my Canon SX110 IS will be used as my every day camera that I'll carry with me when I don't have my T3 (and maybe sometimes when I do have it as well).

I got my new camera delivered to me today. I decided I was ready to upgrade to a DSLR so I got a Canon T3. I got it through a family friend who works at Canon so I saved about $100-$150. For now I'm going to stick with the 18-55mm kit lens but I do plan on getting more lens for it possibly later this year or early next year when I'm more comfortable with the camera and lens and can decide on which lens(es) to get. I'm going to be using my T3 for planned transit fanning trips and charters while my Canon SX110 IS will be used as my every day camera that I'll carry with me when I don't have my T3 (and maybe sometimes when I do have it as well).

Excellent choice.

If you're looking at more lenses, the 55-250 complements the range of the 18-55 quite nicely. There's a Mk2 version coming out so look for price savings on the current version (basically, they're both the same performance-wise. Canon's just making some minor cost-saving changes to the externals).

Although for transit applications you might be surprised at how much that 18-55 stays on the camera. At times you may desire a normal zoom with a little more reach though (the "kit" 18-135, older 17-85, and better/pricier 15-85 come to mind).

Today i was asked to take some school building photos at school. i was given a Canon 40D with a 50mm lens. I liked it very much. The lens is also fun to shoot with so i wanted to use it to its full capabilities. Took mostly photos of whatever stood out in the building. Overall, fun to shoot with!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...