Devon Transit

M. Parsons

Devon is going ahead with a transit service between Devon, the Edmonton International Airport, and Southgate to be operated by ETS in advance of the EMTSC. Approved yesterday (Monday):

"That Council accepts the General Manager of Planning and Infrastructure and the Edmonton Transit Service’s (ETS) presentation on Interim Sub Regional Transit Service for Devon and that Administration is to proceed with the route to Southgate Mall and Edmonton International Airport (EIA) as directed."

It sounds like the contracts were ready to go, or very close to, so this service should be starting in a relatively short time frame.

Fares sound like they will be free, so, while I would initially suspect a Vicinity would be used, "free" might cause enough demand for a 40' bus. 

https://devon.ca/Services/Projects-Initiatives/Devon-Transit

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Devon route (570) will officially begin service on October 25th. The pilot project has been funded for 18 months, and as M. Parsons mentioned in his post, the service will be free during the pilot period. Service will also operate 7 days a week.

While schedule data has not officially been posted, it is available on some third-party sites like Transitfeeds. The schedule is very unusual:

• One early morning trip departing Devon at 6:30am operating direct to Southgate
  • One midday trip departing Devon at 10:30am operating to the EIA Outlet Mall
  • One evening trip departing Southgate at 6:00pm operating to Devon via the EIA Outlet Mall.

Not sure how well it will do with this schedule setup. With only one trip returning to Devon in the late evening, if you commute in on the morning trip, you can't arrive back in Devon for another 12.5 hours. The choice of Southgate over closer LRT stations (i.e. Century Park) is interesting; even if Century Park is unavailable, Beaumont Transit is using Heritage Valley instead, which would be closer than Southgate.

3 hours ago, Nick B said:

A non-CPTDB user spotted a "small ETS bus" with 570 Devon on the signs on the QEII near EIA on October 18th. 

The PM block also tracked Wednesday. It did not track Tuesday, but, there were also no 570 blocks scheduled on Tuesday, although there are for Monday, Wednesday-Friday. There is internal ETS intel that refers to the route starting operation October 18th, but then Devon says October 25th. Methinks there was a miscommunication somewhere. Apps are now showing a warning that although the 570 is showing as a trip option, it doesn't start until October 25th. That warning wasn't there on Tuesday when I checked. 

The 570 blocks where scheduled today as well, but nothing tracked and I was around Southgate at 18:00 and spotted nothing. It seems Ferrier some how let this 570 escape into the wild for 2 days when it shouldn't have. 

4 hours ago, Articulated said:

The choice of Southgate over closer LRT stations (i.e. Century Park) is interesting; even if Century Park is unavailable, Beaumont Transit is using Heritage Valley instead, which would be closer than Southgate.

Beaumont Transit's end goal seems to be to get into Mill Woods Transit Centre, probably to align with the VLSE LRT opening. Beaumont Transit might have had the option of going to Southgate, but that could have upset timing to allow 2 buses to maintain a 30 minute frequency.

Sure, Devon could just run to Heritage Valley, but then their riders need to transfer to the 700X before being able to get anywhere else on Transit. Arguably, that could save some time and allow a more logical service. On the other hand, it does mean the Devon riders are able to avoid 1 transfer.

The midday trip should be later in the day, around noon. And given that ETS has to deadhead a bus from Ferrier to Devon, and then from the Airport back to Ferrier, it really wouldn't have taken much to run the bus in service from Edmonton to Devon, and then from the Outlet Mall to Edmonton.

Edit: Figured I'd better check garages. AM and mid-norning trip are Mitchell runs, PM trip is Ferrier, so mid-morning in service from Edmonton doesn't work unless ETS could move the trip to Ferrier.