NFTA-Metro

The whole CNG thing confuses me because that was supposed to help close the 14 million buget gap for this year. I doubt there will be any CNG buses purchased this year. But the only station that is equipped with a CNG fueling station is Frontier and it needs service before it can be used again. The current contract with Gillig goes through 2013 so am not sure if they are stuck with diesel or not. I notice in the past when ever there was an article about new buses and funding, I was always thought that the funding was only for hybrid buses and a use it or lose it type of thing. The Stimulus funds however they had a choice so they went with the 56 non hybrids. The buses coming in this year are supposed to be more hybrids.

They also have a new system that they started in January where hybrid buses are to be used on stop and go routes where a hybrid bus would save the most fuel. In the past they were always used on longer routes like the 40 or 44 because they wanted newer buses on longer routes and most of the newer buses were hybrids.

Yesterday was the first day for production for the new paratransit vehicles. I forgot to ask who the manufacturer was though. I do know it is on a gas Ford E350 chassis and that the switch from diesel was because "the powerstrokes had too many problems" according to one of the managers who is involved with the new bus order. Also LFS bus 2021 was in a crash today on the 27 Wende line. The damage to the bus is pretty bad... it got hit under the drivers window. It looks repairable but I am not sure if they will, now that the bus is life expired. Maybe they can get the front seats off of it to put 2002 back in service.

It's not that the 6 liter ford engine is bad, but it's not maintenance friendly.

( you have to pull the engine to do any cam roller replacement, for instance)

Well the engines in these buses seem to be in better shape than the buses they are in. Alot of them are really rotted and have a ton of rust on the lower body. I wonder how maintenance friendly these new buses will be...

For clarification, I'm referring to the 6 liter turbo diesel. While they hold together well, what seem like rudimentary repairs become full extractions, regardless wether it be in a e model van, or a f series truck ( I feel for my wheel trans contemporaries once they come off warranty) but, it also means overtime $$ for them.

Also LFS bus 2021 was in a crash today on the 27 Wende line. The damage to the bus is pretty bad... it got hit under the drivers window. It looks repairable but I am not sure if they will, now that the bus is life expired. Maybe they can get the front seats off of it to put 2002 back in service.

I saw that bus today in the back of the Cold Spring garage with the other crippled buses. Didn't know about the accident. I'll have to take a better look at it next time I drive down Masten Ave.

What haapened to bus 1004?

What haapened to bus 1004?

I am not completely sure the whole story but was told it had something to do with the median entering the 33 expressway crossing Genesee st from the airport either to avoid an accident or because of one. But I do not have all the facts on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Final fare increase and service adjustment proposal:

• Increased adult base fare from $1.75 to $2
  • Increased reduced fare for seniors, disabled, Medicare & child based fare from $.75 to $1
  • Increase adult day pass fare from $4 to $5
  • Increase adult monthly pass from $64 to $75
  • Restore 30 day adult pass priced at $75
  • Introduce new adult seven day pass priced at $25
  • Introduce new adult express trip surcharge at 50 cents
  • Summer Youth Pass increase from $52.50 to $60
  • Discontinue free bus to rail/rail to bus transfer

Route modifications:

Route 7 Baynes/Richmond - Off peak trips will operate approximately every 90 minutes.

Route 20E Late Night Express - Service currently operates on Thursdays only and will be discontinued.

Route 29 Wohlers - Off peak trips will operate approximately every two hours

Route 34 Niagara Falls Blvd - Off peak trips will operate approximately every 45 minutes

Route 42 Lackawanna - Service between Southgate Plaza and Thruway Mall will be discontinued

Route 44 Lockport - Service levels will be reduced by approximately 20 percent

Route 47 Youngs Road - Off peak trips will operate approximately every two hours

Route 62 Parker - Entire route will be discontinued. Alternate local service is available on Route 11 Colvin.

Route 63 Riverside - Entire route will be discontinued. Alternate local service is available on Route 5 Niagara

Route 65 Amherst - Entire route will be discontinued. Alternate express service is available on Route 66 Williamsville from Eastern Hills Mall and Main & Union Park & Ride lots and on Route 67 Cleveland Hill along the Eggert Road portion of the route. Alternate local service is also available on Route 48 Williamsville from Eastern Hills Mall and Main & Union Park & Ride lot, as well as on Route 49 Millard Suburban from Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital.

Route 74 Hamburg - The 8:18 a.m. trip from Athol Springs Park and Ride will be eliminated. Alternate express service available on Route 76 Lotus Bay from Athol Springs Park & Ride at 7:59 a.m.

Buffalo Bills Game Day Service - Routes 90, 92, 93, 94 & 96 eliminated

Route 97 Darien Lake - Entire route will be discontinued

Route 200 North Tonawanda/Wheatfield - Entire route will be discontinued

Route 201 Lockport - Entire route will be discontinued

Route 206 Buffalo State - Entire route will be discontinued

Route 209 Medaille - Entire route will be discontinued

Route 210 Airport/Niagara Falls Express - Entire route will be discontinued

Route 211 ECC Shuttle - Entire route will be discontinued

Route 216 Gowanda/McKinley Mall - Entire route will be discontinued

I thought we would of seen more Niagara County cuts in this proposal.

Here is a paratransit prototype, and a new tow truck built by Century... (sorry for the not so great pics)

p1.JPG

p2.JPG

023.JPG

The tow truck will going to the Babcock garage. Frontier has the same model but has an International chassis and was built in 07 0r 08.

Final fare increase and service adjustment proposal

So they are going to keep the three college Metrolink routes 206, 209, and 211. Also the token will now only have the value of one dollar. Tokens have not been sold since October 2010 and will be accepted as fare through August 2013. For whatever reason NFTA did not list the decrease in value for the token in the proposal.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new 1200

Bus.JPG

It looks pretty much like an 1100. The only difference I noticed was the E-Cooling system which uses nine electric fans to cool the engine compartment. I am told the fans and electric system are powered by the hybrid system. Which is why this bus does not have an alternator similar to 1125-1129.

The token will still be valued as regular fare now when the fare increase starts May 1st. However they still have signage up in the buses stating the token will only be worth a dollar.

Nice shot. Any idea which division these will be assigned to?

I am not sure yet. But just a wild guess... they may go to Babcock. Babcock then would be able to retire all 12 9500's and woulld have to give up seven buses which would probably be 1000's series which would go to Cold Spring to take out seven 9600's.

• 3 weeks later...

The non-Allison Gillig Hybrid buses are supposed to arrive sometime in the end of the summer- August or September. Right now they are up to 1211 for the current delivery. Still no word for which division will get these buses. Right now they have to determine which buses they are going to scrap. All the 416's are going, but there are a few LFS buses that need some costly repairs. So instead, they are figuring out which 9600's they can hold on to for approximately 18 months.

Some bus updates...

Along with all the 9500's six of the 9600's will be pulled from service when the 1200's enter service. With six being pulled I can't see too many LFS buses going... one maybe two at the most. Bus 2002 was put back in service last week. 2242 has had alot of progress... now has a windshield. 2506 has been stripped down, nothing really left to that bus at all. 1213 came in today, but none of the 1200's are ready for the road yet.

Wanna make a side trip to Niagara Falls NY on monday? ride some Gilligs?

I did that last year October after my interview with the NFTA. I went to that out mall in Niagara Falls after I realized there was a bus that goes there from the Bus Terminal in Buffalo to a Terminal in Niagara Falls then took a local bus (a 30 ft. Gillig) to the Terminal near the mall! It was about 1 hour and a half one way! lol

I did that last year October after my interview with the NFTA. I went to that out mall in Niagara Falls after I realized there was a bus that goes there from the Bus Terminal in Buffalo to a Terminal in Niagara Falls then took a local bus (a 30 ft. Gillig) to the Terminal near the mall! It was about 1 hour and a half one way! lol

Well im going to Niagara Falls Ontario and im thinking of walking across the Rainbow bridge.