NFTA-Metro

I see the 1100s are up and running. Saw 1104 on the 22 Porter-Best and 1109 on the 13 Kensington. So I guess Cold Spring got at least some of them.

Here's a link to a local article about the replica trolley bus. http://www.buffalorising.com/2011/04/a-met...ke-trolley.html

I was on 1104 today, nice ride and had good pick up. Alot of the 2010 hybrids have a pretty slow acceleration so I was expecting that with these too. For now the plan is to put all 30 of the 1100's at Cold Spring. Which means some buses will be moved around between garages. They plan on scrapping between four to six more of the Nova Classics. Alot of these buses have had problems with the rear flooring support between the rear tires. As for the trolley replicas NFTA has an option with Gillig to pick up three more. The option is good until 2013.

I was on 1104 today, nice ride and had good pick up. Alot of the 2010 hybrids have a pretty slow acceleration so I was expecting that with these too. For now the plan is to put all 30 of the 1100's at Cold Spring. Which means some buses will be moved around between garages. They plan on scrapping between four to six more of the Nova Classics. Alot of these buses have had problems with the rear flooring support between the rear tires. As for the trolley replicas NFTA has an option with Gillig to pick up three more. The option is good until 2013.

I assume They'll send the rest of the 2600s they have to Babcock, aside from 2605 which was involved in that school bus accident. Will that bus (along with 2242) be rebuilt?

I assume They'll send the rest of the 2600s they have to Babcock, aside from 2605 which was involved in that school bus accident. Will that bus (along with 2242) be rebuilt?

Last I have seen of 2605 and 2242 they both are next to each other with the fronts of both buses completely off. They sit parked right inside one of the garage doors that goes into the body shop. But they have been like that for quite some time now I would be surprised to see those two buses back. But they are in the shop so they must be doing something unlike 2506 and 2002 which are parked outside, which those two buses are done for good.

How many Nova Classics and American Ikarus buses are left in service?

American Ikarus I am not quite sure how many the Babcock garage has left I know less than 18 and Frontier has 16. Cold spring has 36 Nova Classics left which 3 are out back crippled and supposed to be done with now that the new buses are here.

Last I have seen of 2605 and 2242 they both are next to each other with the fronts of both buses completely off. They sit parked right inside one of the garage doors that goes into the body shop. But they have been like that for quite some time now I would be surprised to see those two buses back. But they are in the shop so they must be doing something unlike 2506 and 2002 which are parked outside, which those two buses are done for good.

Ooooh, what happened to 2002? That was the very first Nova Low Floor bus (Come to think of it, the first NFTA Low Floor bus, period) I ever rode!

Correct. If you want to catch the Novas your best bet is during Monday thru Friday at University Metro Rail Station, Utica Metro Rail Station, Buffalo-Niagara International Airport and downtown near the Transpo Center.

Thanks for the info, even if I didnt get to see the classics I would still wanna fan the NFTA

• 2 weeks later...

So 1101-1130 have all arrived. 1126-1129 electrical runs off the hybrid system instead of an alternator. There is an alternator for the HVAC though. 1130 does have a Voith hybrid system. The engine for the Voith I am told is a Cummins ISC. They say that the ISB can not be mated with the Voith hybrid system. Also the 2011 bus order has been expanded and NFTA should be getting between 25 to 30 more buses in the fall. I believe 2 or 3 of those are going to be Voith hybrids.

Ahhh, the infamous green natural gas buses. I used to live on Amherst St and worked at the Tops Supermarket on Grant St. so I would see or ride these buses often. I should say when they were on the road, as they were often out of service. Don't think they lasted around here more than ten years.

I see by the NFTA article on Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFTA ) that the last of the 2600 Hybrids have been sent to Babcock and a few of the Cold Spring's 1000 diesels have been given to Frontier.

A large chunk of NABI buses and a few leftover New Flyers have been put up for auction:

http://www.auctionsinternational.com/displ...rting_point%3D1

There are a few still running, as I saw 9516 just last night .I don't think the NABIs will be missed too much. They were quite noisy and they tended to rust quickly. Two consecutive buses caught fire. 9566 was rebuilt (see its interior in the auction pictures), but 9565 burned down to its shell, probably hastened by the Fucillo Chevrolet wrap it had on it.

BTW edison, I'm still curious as to what happened to bus 2002.

Yes all the 2600's are at Babcock. Well 2605 and 2607 are in the body shop. 2607 nothing serious but will be there for a little while. There were about 16 9500's left at Frontier but with the move of the four 1000's that is going to bring it down to eleven. Babcock had 25 originally 9501- 9527 with two retired so it looks like they only have about 15 left and probably more now with the 2600's all over there. However i think there are going to move the rest of the type I 2100's 2101, 2116-2117, 2119-2120 to frontier with the rest of type I 2100's. Also three more 9600's have been retired... 9608, 9629, and 9634. This makes a total of eight that are retired. I guess thats the last of the 9300's... I can't remember if they put 9318 up for auction the last time, they refurbished that bus and it took almost a year to do. That was the bus that had International on it and then they painted it back and did some work on the transmission. But it only saw service for a few months and was retired when all the 9300's were retired. That was kind of a waste.

2002 was involved in an accident back in either late 2009 or early 2010. It was a snowy day and it slid into garbage truck or something like that and got kind of messed up. But they have not touched it since. The funny thing is that the 2000's are heavier than the Gillig buses, however they handle worse in the snow. I think it has to do with the low profile tires which are wider. But maybe not... because every other bus manufacturer uses them so they can't be that much of a problem. Gillig seems to be the only one that still uses standard tires on a low floor bus. I know NABI did for a while until about 2002.

So 1101-1130 have all arrived. 1126-1129 electrical runs off the hybrid system instead of an alternator. There is an alternator for the HVAC though. 1130 does have a Voith hybrid system. The engine for the Voith I am told is a Cummins ISC. They say that the ISB can not be mated with the Voith hybrid system. Also the 2011 bus order has been expanded and NFTA should be getting between 25 to 30 more buses in the fall. I believe 2 or 3 of those are going to be Voith hybrids.

They're already running 1130. Saw it on the 8 Main this afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
How many Nova Classics and American Ikarus buses are left in service?

There's not many American Ikarus buses, I'm thinking about maybe 10 or maybe less.

The Nova Classics, however, I think are close to the original order, less maybe a few at most. I usually ride on a Main bus (route 8) and see them frequently used on the line.

There's not many American Ikarus buses, I'm thinking about maybe 10 or maybe less.

The Nova Classics, however, I think are close to the original order, less maybe a few at most. I usually ride on a Main bus (route 8) and see them frequently used on the line.

Shit, they looked like Swiss cheese that last time I saw them 2 years ago!

2002 was involved in an accident back in either late 2009 or early 2010. It was a snowy day and it slid into garbage truck or something like that and got kind of messed up. But they have not touched it since. The funny thing is that the 2000's are heavier than the Gillig buses, however they handle worse in the snow. I think it has to do with the low profile tires which are wider. But maybe not... because every other bus manufacturer uses them so they can't be that much of a problem. Gillig seems to be the only one that still uses standard tires on a low floor bus. I know NABI did for a while until about 2002.

What are the differences between those types of tires used? (For instance, NABI used standard tires until around 2002 when it switched to another model tires which are different in view than the standard ones)

What are the differences between those types of tires used? (For instance, NABI used standard tires until around 2002 when it switched to another model tires which are different in view than the standard ones)

I may be using the wrong terminology but most low floor bus manufacturers use low profile tires for low floor buses. The tires have a shorter diameter but are wider than the tires used on the Gillig 35' and 40' buses and most high floor buses. These are the only pictures I have that I can use as an example...

Nova LFS: 242.jpg

Gillig Low Floor:232.JPG

I think I could be mistaken the year on the NABI LFW tires. In any event that was my guess at why NFTA's Novabus LFS buses are bad in the snow. But I could be completely wrong.

I may be using the wrong terminology but most low floor bus manufacturers use low profile tires for low floor buses. The tires have a shorter diameter but are wider than the tires used on the Gillig 35' and 40' buses and most high floor buses. These are the only pictures I have that I can use as an example...

Nova LFS: 242.jpg

Gillig Low Floor:232.JPG

I think I could be mistaken the year on the NABI LFW tires. In any event that was my guess at why NFTA's Novabus LFS buses are bad in the snow. But I could be completely wrong.

Nope, you got it.

New Jersey Transit's NABI 416 Restyled used those similar tires built for low floor buses that has a short diameter in view similar to those tires used on all of New Flyer's Low Floor buses. For some reason, their NABI 416 aren't using those standard tires used on SEPTA's NABI 416. It could be a custom specification for New Jersey Transit's need.

One of the Nova LFS buses was in an accident at University Station on a Good Friday in I think 2006. Driver didn't negotiate a turn properly, and rammed into another bus. From what I saw of the bus, the front looked totally crushed. Any idea what happened to that bus and which one it was? Accident happened really late at night (well after 10:00pm, as I missed one of the last buses out of the station and had to find another way home.

Yes all the 2600's are at Babcock. Well 2605 and 2607 are in the body shop. 2607 nothing serious but will be there for a little while. There were about 16 9500's left at Frontier but with the move of the four 1000's that is going to bring it down to eleven. Babcock had 25 originally 9501- 9527 with two retired so it looks like they only have about 15 left and probably more now with the 2600's all over there. However i think there are going to move the rest of the type I 2100's 2101, 2116-2117, 2119-2120 to frontier with the rest of type I 2100's. Also three more 9600's have been retired... 9608, 9629, and 9634. This makes a total of eight that are retired. I guess thats the last of the 9300's... I can't remember if they put 9318 up for auction the last time, they refurbished that bus and it took almost a year to do. That was the bus that had International on it and then they painted it back and did some work on the transmission. But it only saw service for a few months and was retired when all the 9300's were retired. That was kind of a waste.

Not much has changed...maybe they're a little worse now (if that's possible).

Shit, they looked like Swiss cheese that last time I saw them 2 years ago!