MT0603

NFTA-Metro

1,694 posts in this topic

Hell has frozen over! 1501 is in service! Saw it on the 40 Grand Island downtown and actually took a pic of it! 

From what I saw it still has the original wheelchair seats it came with. It also has its fleet number on the windshield and the NFTA Metro graphic that was on the upper rear of the bus was moved to the lower rear to match the other buses. 

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0228.thumb.JPG.0f4fb1862e3a42f810788b12884e825d.JPG

3 people like this

hey guys, anyone know what the best spots to find 20 and 21 series buses? Also, are they ever used in niagara county on any routes there? 

The 2100s (specifically the early 2100s) are sometimes in Niagara Falls, but never the 2000s. The 2000s are only at the Cold Spring garage and that garage mostly run on Buffalo's East Side.

Best bet: Downtown Buffalo on a weekday. 

1 person likes this

Removed.

On 12/28/2016 at 11:01 PM, Quartzquiz said:

The 2100s (specifically the early 2100s) are sometimes in Niagara Falls, but never the 2000s. The 2000s are only at the Cold Spring garage and that garage mostly run on Buffalo's East Side.

Best bet: Downtown Buffalo on a weekday. 

I actually saw a few 2100s running this afternoon on the Sunday/Holiday schedule.

Also, Cold Spring and Babcock only run on weekdays; all weekend/holiday runs operate out of Frontier. So, you won't see any 2000s running on the weekends. I did notice a couple 2000s running as of Friday afternoon.

1 person likes this

Noticed 1501 is in service on the #34 line this afternoon.  Funny, 1601 is running opposite it. :P

11 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Noticed 1501 is in service on the #34 line this afternoon.  Funny, 1601 is running opposite it. :P

Oddly, the same two buses seem to that on the 40 Grand Island as well.

BTW, you can add 2504 to the Key Bank wrapped buses. 

Bus trip cancellations are lighting up my inbox this afternoon.  Any idea what's going on?

Shortage of buses?

Shortage of drivers?

Noticed one of the round-trips on the #35 has been cancelled, leaving a two hour gap between buses.  Add to the cold weather, there's going to be a lot of angry customers out there.  I've been on both of the trips, decent sized crowd when I'm on it...mainly people heading to and from work.

1 person likes this

If some may have noticed, I've finally gotten some luck in working on the "neglected" para-transit roster for the NFTA.

There are a few pieces that are still unknown, so if anyone might be able to offer their help, I'm all eyes (msg me in private).

Note:  Once I get more of the information corrected/finalized, I'll be creating the fleet number pages like the conventional transit rosters.  May start the 80## series tonight, when I get a chance.

--- D

1 person likes this

1501 is broken down on Colvin at Hertel at this time.

Rode it this morning on the 5-Niagara.  Didn't seem to be running right then, either.

Metro's posted their changes for the schedule updates on March 5, 2017.

Nothing too drastic.

Most noticeable change is the routing in Niagara Falls, near the Rainbow Bridge.  Appears to be that the NFTA is avoiding the Rainbow Bridge area due to congestion during the tourist season (which sometimes can affect the running of buses according to schedule).  Wise move, in my opinion.

Other changes are minute changes to the running times of many trips, on a variety of lines.

Interesting thing is on March 17th and 18th when NCAA comes back to Buffalo and see how NFTA will handle these 50,000 people attending. 

BTW: NFTA has so much cancellations/delays past week now, I guess that is a history ever. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, edison said:

Four PAL vans have been delivered... 8233-8236

Any idea why there's such a gap in numbers?  I think it was 8301-8310 on the last purchase, correct?

1 hour ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Any idea why there's such a gap in numbers?  I think it was 8301-8310 on the last purchase, correct?

I assume it's because 8301-8310 are natural gas vans. 8233-8236 continues the numbering from the earlier set of vans. 

Although it's not quite the NFTA, it is a piece of the past (before the NFTA came into being).

Thought someone (or more) might be interested in this RARE specimen on E-Bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Vintage-Hamburg-Railway-New-York-1934-Bus-Timetable-Buffalo-Hamburg-NY-/311838021316?hash=item489afe96c4:g:m04AAOSwuLZY3-l1

Although ended, this one is from the start of the NFTA's schedules, after the takeovers in 1974 and 1975.

I remember those small schedules well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buffalo-Niagara-Falls-METRO-BUS-Route-TimeTable-Schedule-1975-SUPER-RARE-LQQK-/262909327894?hash=item3d369dfa16%3Ag%3AfA8AAOSwUKxYmpDq&nma=true&si=7YCbO2WuH1GTSU%2FTaIQ5HDKVLx8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Witnessed a jumper in front of the 4:10pm inbound train when it was pulling into University Station this afternoon.

I'm still stunned that the woman that jumped was able to go under the train, and live through it with only a couple scratches on her head.

All this unfolded within ten feet of me.  I watched her lift off of the platform, and land and roll right in front of the train while it was pulling in.

After running to get help, I entered back onto the platform and found a transit officer and what appeared to be a supervisor talking to her...while she's still standing in the tunnel.

She's got to be lucky to be alive.  I thought she was a goner.

Ironically, no mention of it in the news.  Correction....Buffalo News.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/05/kenmore-woman-jumps-front-subway-university-station/ 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Witnessed a jumper in front of the 4:10pm inbound train when it was pulling into University Station this afternoon.

I'm still stunned that the woman that jumped was able to go under the train, and live through it with only a couple scratches on her head.

All this unfolded within ten feet of me.  I watched her lift off of the platform, and land and roll right in front of the train while it was pulling in.

After running to get help, I entered back onto the platform and found a transit officer and what appeared to be a supervisor talking to her...while she's still standing in the tunnel.

She's got to be lucky to be alive.  I thought she was a goner.

Ironically, no mention of it in the news.  Correction....Buffalo News.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/05/kenmore-woman-jumps-front-subway-university-station/ 

Yeah, only place I seen it was Traffic Command on the Entercom stations. Crazy. Supposedly there is room to go underneath the platforms in the event somebody ever falls on the tracks. Doesn't sound like she had time for that though...

4 minutes ago, edison said:

Yeah, only place I seen it was Traffic Command on the Entercom stations. Crazy. Supposedly there is room to go underneath the platforms in the event somebody ever falls on the tracks. Doesn't sound like she had time for that though...

Watched her jump, land onto the track bed within ten feet of me.  Within two-three seconds, the train was right on top of her.  She looked like she might have tried to put her arms up to try and stop herself from going under, but to no help.

Fortunately this isn't NYC, the train would have either dragged her, or the voltage on the third rail would've electrocuted her...or both.

When I saw her go under the train, I had expected the worst to have happened.

The Buffalo News mentioned her heading to ECMC.  Probably the best place for her tonight.

2 people like this

On 4/5/2017 at 5:45 PM, map.man (Darrin) said:

Witnessed a jumper in front of the 4:10pm inbound train when it was pulling into University Station this afternoon. I'm still stunned that the woman that jumped was able to go under the train, and live through it with only a couple scratches on her head.

I got on the 4:00pm inbound train at University on Wednesday and just missed this. I never saw any tweets from NFTA about a service disruption, so I guess that there was no significant impact. I'm glad to hear that the person involved is fine.

1 hour ago, Orion 1200 said:

I got on the 4:00pm inbound train at University on Wednesday and just missed this. I never saw any tweets from NFTA about a service disruption, so I guess that there was no significant impact. I'm glad to hear that the person involved is fine.

That struck me odd, as well.  The train pulled in later than usual, due to whatever reason.  I remember looking at my cell phone on the way down the escalator and saw that it was 4:07pm.

I think there was a matter of at least a few more minutes until it arrived, possibly at 4:10 or later.

By the time the police were able to finish off the statements and let me go on my way, she had been brought up to the ambulance at about 4:45 (I caught the 4:45pm 8-Main bus instead of the rail).

Besides a single trip being cancelled (at 4:10pm), every bus pulling into the University Station was removed from the loop, and required to loop through the kiss and ride, boarding passengers along the road opposite the shelter for the 34-Niagara Falls Boulevard.  All following trains after the train in the accident just used the outbound track to board and discharge riders.

With the confusion in the station, and possible changes in procedure, I believe they had to make a lot of decisions "on the fly", based on what was happening at the moment.

With one of the 2000's in an accident in the loop on a good Friday late evening a number of years ago, buses were pulled through the kiss-and-ride then.  A number of drivers didn't seem to know where to layover, and the 8-Main I was attempting to catch at the top of the loop even passed the station from Main & Bailey without pulling in (assuming that's what the driver was told to do).

I'm curious, though.  I was told that someone had attempted to do the same thing (jump in front of a train) only a week earlier, but at a different station.  Is this true?

1 person likes this

On 4/9/2017 at 10:24 PM, map.man (Darrin) said:

I'm curious, though.  I was told that someone had attempted to do the same thing (jump in front of a train) only a week earlier, but at a different station.  Is this true?

Haven't heard anything recently. But late last year there were two cases of a person (two different people at different times) walking on the tracks, not jumping in front of the train.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, edison said:

Haven't heard anything recently. But late last year there were two cases of a person (two different people at different times) walking on the tracks, not jumping in front of the train.

One of them was killed, between Utica and Summer stations, late in the evening, correct?  I remember hearing about that one.

1 person likes this

Unfortunately, someone with way too much time on their hands has started to take off some of the interior fleet numbers of the 1500s and 1600s. The two I rode today had some numbers missing. 1512 was missing the first two black numbers from the back of the bus while 1605 was missing the first two numbers from the rear AND the front.