NFTA-Metro

MT0603

5 minutes ago, I Alam said:

Does anyone know if NFTA is getting new buses this year? If so are the 2000’s Novas still safe?

23 CNG buses due approximately in September. Note this is the last year of the bus contract so a new RFP should be going out toward the end of the year. As far as the 2000's, I would guess most are safe, but a few probably will be retired to keep the fleet age balanced.

2 minutes ago, edison said:

23 CNG buses due approximately in September. Note this is the last year of the bus contract so a new RFP should be going out toward the end of the year. As far as the 2000's, I would guess most are safe, but a few probably will be retired to keep the fleet age balanced.

Thanks I got to remember to catch them next school year since it might be my last. 

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

just saw 2417 on the 40, i dont think i have ever seen a 24xx doing the 40 before. I will try to wait for it to see if i can get a pic of it.

It happens. One operator did a run in the Falls the whole day, and her last trip was a 40 from Niagara Falls to Buffalo. So she usually had one. I seen one yesterday around 445p going down Niagara.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edison said:

It happens. One operator did a run in the Falls the whole day, and her last trip was a 40 from Niagara Falls to Buffalo. So she usually had one. I seen one yesterday around 445p going down Niagara.

i think it might have been the same trip on 40, since i saw it go into the terminal around 5:10, and come out around 5:25.

IMG_20190814_195225_491.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

--- slightly off topic, but does involve the NFTA.

Does anyone have information on the ?British-Leyland? diesel rail car that the area tested in the Southtowns in the late 80's or early 90's?

I remember that the NFTA was possibly the agency that exhibited it in Hamburg, and ran a sort of shuttle south of there for a distance.

Am curious and would like to have a short mention in a new section on the wiki page.

3 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0MtpETYK?s=a99&pd=35171693

It was 2008 on the 26. I saw it earlier this morning on the 22. With it's age (19 years) and that three buses from this series were going to be retired with the upcoming 1900s buses it looks like this one's done with revenue service.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2019 at 12:08 PM, map.man (Darrin) said:

That's horrible I hope the extent of the injuries aren't too bad. 

As for the bus it's probably going to scrapped for parts.

• 2 weeks later...

With CNYRTA having retired their 2007 Gillig hybrids at the 12-year mark, and the buses having various issues as noted on the auction pages, how is NFTA doing with their 2006 and 2007 model hybrids?  Is the plan to retire these only after the various 2000 to 2005 model buses are off the road?  I'm not sure what capital repairs NFTA has done that maybe Centro didn't do - Centro never was sold on hybrids after this one lone order so it's possible they did just enough to keep them on the road until they passed the 12-year FTA milestone and could get rid of them, whereas NFTA obviously made a much bigger commitment to hybrids before getting the CNG bug.

49 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

With CNYRTA having retired their 2007 Gillig hybrids at the 12-year mark, and the buses having various issues as noted on the auction pages, how is NFTA doing with their 2006 and 2007 model hybrids?  Is the plan to retire these only after the various 2000 to 2005 model buses are off the road?  I'm not sure what capital repairs NFTA has done that maybe Centro didn't do - Centro never was sold on hybrids after this one lone order so it's possible they did just enough to keep them on the road until they passed the 12-year FTA milestone and could get rid of them, whereas NFTA obviously made a much bigger commitment to hybrids before getting the CNG bug.

No major issues so far. I believe they feel the hybrids have done well, considering not too many battery packs have been replaced. The most costly item that frequently goes bad is the DPIM, which kind of controls the energy storage system. They go bad on old and new, however on older buses the DPIM warranty expired. Obviously these buses were not worth the investment, and currently there are no plans to purchase more. A lot of operator don't really care for them though. They usually are a bit slower than a non-hybrid and tend to lag with acceleration operation.

I talked to a manager from CENTRO a little over a year ago, he said they couldn't wait to get rid of their hybrids. Once they hit the 12-year mark he hoped they were gone. He complained about the engines being problematic. Is their auction accessible to the public or posted online anywhere?

2 hours ago, edison said:

No major issues so far. I believe they feel the hybrids have done well, considering not too many battery packs have been replaced. The most costly item that frequently goes bad is the DPIM, which kind of controls the energy storage system. They go bad on old and new, however on older buses the DPIM warranty expired. Obviously these buses were not worth the investment, and currently there are no plans to purchase more. A lot of operator don't really care for them though. They usually are a bit slower than a non-hybrid and tend to lag with acceleration operation.

I talked to a manager from CENTRO a little over a year ago, he said they couldn't wait to get rid of their hybrids. Once they hit the 12-year mark he hoped they were gone. He complained about the engines being problematic. Is their auction accessible to the public or posted online anywhere?

Auction link is here - https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/cnyrta,ny/list/current?orgid=310492

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2019 at 9:08 AM, map.man (Darrin) said:

--- slightly off topic, but does involve the NFTA.

Does anyone have information on the ?British-Leyland? diesel rail car that the area tested in the Southtowns in the late 80's or early 90's?

I remember that the NFTA was possibly the agency that exhibited it in Hamburg, and ran a sort of shuttle south of there for a distance.

Am curious and would like to have a short mention in a new section on the wiki page.

I filed this away in my mind as something I had to come back to if I found what I was looking for. 

Well, I found what I was looking for, and it turns out I had scanned it already. I don't have any information, but, I might have an image of the car that was there.

crtademo-05-26-1985-01232019020.thumb.jpg.f664521f0cbbec585eecbc6e4cd5e494.jpg
Obviously this isn't in Buffalo, however, the image was taken in 1985 so it quite possibly could have been the vehicle that visited Buffalo.

Bonus:
bmetro70-Sept1991-02052019001.thumb.jpg.a540a0cf4b29b0c367356369309920db.jpg
Buffalo PCC. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...