NFTA-Metro

MT0603

Well im going to Niagara Falls Ontario and im thinking of walking across the Rainbow bridge.

$0.50 to cross! Gotta love tolls! lol If you go early in the Morning during rush hour they have the express one that uses I-190 pretty much the entire trip from Niagara Falls to Downtown Buffalo at the Bus Terminal.

$0.50 to cross! Gotta love tolls! lol If you go early in the Morning during rush hour they have the express one that uses I-190 pretty much the entire trip from Niagara Falls to Downtown Buffalo at the Bus Terminal.

Change of plans I will be fanning NFTA in Buffalo and up to Niagara Falls NY due to cheap Megabus tickets, then walking across the Rainbow Bridge back to Canada!

I found out today that bus 1214 is a Voith Hybrid. It does have an alternator, and does not have the electric engine coolong system like the other 1200's. Pretty much the same as bus 1130. I am kind of suprised because 1130 does not save much on fuel, especially when compared to the Allison Hybrids. I also found out that the BAE hybrid is no longer an option for NFTA, but still unclear if they are still going to receive some. Being a new option, NFTA was supposed to get a break on the price. In other news... I was also told there will be about 13 Nova Classics left when the new buses are put in service.

How many non-Allison hybrids will there be in this set of buses?

Also, what happened to 2240? I saw it in the garage from East Ferry St. partially stripped from the back. Looks like that bus will no longer be in commission.

Wow didn't know about 2240. Right now I am not sure what is going on with this order... everybody I have talked to said that NFTA would not be able to order BAE Hybrid buses in future orders. So now that would defeat the purpose for the four or five BAE units they were going to get to test out and see if they perform well.

Not sure what is going on with the paratransot order. I think the buses may from ElDorado National, as they are being purchased through Empire Bus Sales. I could be wrong though. They did ship some fareboxes to somewhere in California so that they could be installed on the buses there.

I forgot to mention that bus 1060 moved to Cold Spring last week.

Edison, do the NABIs and Classics only go out during rush-hours? I'm heading there on my way to Albany.

Yes pretty much. They would be much harder to find after 5 or 6pm. A couple may make it out at night but it is hard to say where they will be. I usually see the 416's downtown around Washington St at Mohawk, as that is a layover point for a few of the Babcock runs.

Also, what happened to 2240? I saw it in the garage from East Ferry St. partially stripped from the back. Looks like that bus will no longer be in commission.

2240 will be back in service tomorrow. Not sure what was wrong with it but I saw it in front of Cold Spring garage along with 2219. 2219 had some body work done and was painted... Alot of 2100's and 2200's have had the same thing done recently.

Wow, you had fun! A ton of Motor Coaches was just all over the place. I drove down late afternoon on Victoria Day and the traffic to Toronto on the QEW was backed up mostly with Motor Coaches! Did you enjoyed the ride from the Bus Terminal in Buffalo to Niagara Falls?

NFTA isnt bad, It was my 1st Gillig ride too!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw from East Ferry Street that the new paratransit buses have arrived.

Finally. Did they have the livery applied? In the past they always came in all white. The 1200's should be in service soon too, if they aren't already. I think they are going to Babcock, which I really never pass by any of their routes.. Right now it is just the 14 buses.

1058 and 59 went to Frontier two weeks ago, since the 55T started back up. But they brought 1060 over to Cold Spring four days before that- which does not make alot of sense. But, I am going to try to find out the amount of buses at each garage because the fleet seems to get smaller every year.

I believe they did. From what I saw when I drove by that had a giant "PAL" logo on them. I'll take a better look when I drive by today.

I don't think the new buses are running yet. Still saw pretty much all of them at the Cold Spring garage from Masten Avenue, including 1202.

Maybe they let Cold Spring keep 1060 while the 55T is running because it has more miles om it than 1058.

Got a better look at Paratransit bus 8207 (Looks like these buses will be the 8200 series). Like you said, smaller than the previous buses. Hope the logo doesn't fade like it did in the last set of Metro Link buses.

Thanks...The NFTA wave is faded on the Frontier 1000 series too. Two weeks ago there were about 5 or 6 8000's behind Frontier that had been spray painted over all the NFTA markings. They also pulled one of the tow trucks (7015) from service at Cold Spring... wonder if will end up on the auction site. It is the oldest of the three GMC's, but was overhauled 2001ish. The other two were not overhauled. The new one is not in service yet.

I tried to post a picture of 7015, but it didn't work but this link should work.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

There is a junkyard near Bailey an Walden that has some old NFTA vehicles... One of them is an Orion I (922 I think), a couple D40's, 416's, and a NovaBus Classic. You can kind of see them on the hill on Bailey south of Walden looking west.

Its free when crossing from the USA to Canada. You only pay when leaving Canada for the USA.

There is a junkyard near Bailey an Walden that has some old NFTA vehicles... One of them is an Orion I (922 I think), a couple D40's, 416's, and a NovaBus Classic. You can kind of see them on the hill on Bailey south of Walden looking west.

I know about that junkyard. It's been a while since I've gone down that part of Bailey but last time I saw it there were some 800, 900 and 200 series buses at that yard.

NFTA in the news...

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/living_green/nfta-unveils-new-fleet-of-hybrid-buses

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2012/06/18/more-nfta-buses-environmentally-friendly.html

Got a better look at Paratransit bus 8207 (Looks like these buses will be the 8200 series). Like you said, smaller than the previous buses. Hope the logo doesn't fade like it did in the last set of Metro Link buses.

No destination sign either, so definitely will be used just for paratansit.. But there are only two MetroLink routes now I think.