NFTA-Metro

MT0603

• 1 month later...
I'm told that the last of the 9300's are now retired.

Yes the 9300's are all retired. They were taken out of service almost four weeks now. I liked these buses. They had nice suspensions and took the nasty roads and all the potholes pretty well even though they were up there in age. Very well built buses in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

The last two 1000 series (1066 and 1067) arrived yesterday. These buses are 40 foot Gillig low floor trolley replicas. I will try to get a picture once they are out of the shop. Today an OC Transpo New Flyer D60LFR #6567 was at the Cold Spring division and went on a test drive. Also metro rail received refurbished rail car 114 back from Gray Manufacturing last week: http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article334886.ece

The last two 1000 series (1066 and 1067) arrived yesterday. These buses are 40 foot Gillig low floor trolley replicas. I will try to get a picture once they are out of the shop. Today an OC Transpo New Flyer D60LFR #6567 was at the Cold Spring division and went on a test drive. Also metro rail received refurbished rail car 114 back from Gray Manufacturing last week: http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article334886.ece

looks good. Those cars were really showing their age when I toured the system in '09

edison, did NFTA changed their transmission order back to Allison on the newest Gillig?

• 1 month later...
Saw 1103 (a Gillig Hybrid) on the Kensington Expressway today. Must have just came from a detail shop because the front decal was still covered by plastic.

1101 and 1102 were delivered Thursday and 1103 was delivered Friday. There will be a total of 30 units of this series. When all of the 1100 series are put in service the 9500's will be done for good. NFTA's bus fleet is actually a bit smaller than before after the 1000 series went into service. About 15 buses less between the three divisions. However the Metro Link paratransit cutaway bus fleet has grown.

So where will they be assign for that Trolley Replica?

They are used on the 55T route in Niagara Falls. This is a season route which stops at various hotels and all around downtown Niagara Falls. In the past they used the Cable Car Classics Trolley Replica built on a WorkHorse chassis. There were five that were built in 2002. One caught fire last summer so now there is only four. They have CNG stickers on them bus they actually only can take regular unleaded fuel now. Maybe they were converted some years back? The CNG station is no longer in operation now anyway.

DSCN2067.JPG

1101 and 1102 were delivered Thursday and 1103 was delivered Friday. There will be a total of 30 units of this series. When all of the 1100 series are put in service the 9500's will be done for good. NFTA's bus fleet is actually a bit smaller then before after the 1000 series went into service. About 15 buses less between the three divisions. However the Metro Link paratransit cutaway bus fleet has grown.

Speaking of which, here are some pictures from my layover in Buffalo last month.

Buffalo1.jpg Buffalo2.jpg Buffalo3.jpg

Buffalo5.jpg Buffalo6.jpg

Buffalo7.jpg Buffalo9.jpg

I assume Frontier and Babcock will split this order of Hybrids?

I am not sure. I was told that they were not going to bring anymore hybrids to Frontier because they have the most runs that have height issues with bridges. But you never know until they are put in service. I know Frontier received the trolley replicas which are taller than the hybrids.

I actually rode trolley replica 1067 today on the 20 Elmwood. I guess they're being pressed for regular bus service while the 55T is off until the summer. Some things I noticed:

LOTS of faux wood used inside this bus within the inside side panels and trim

Red and gold fiberglass seats

Bell pull cords made of rope instead of metal covered with plastic

Gold rails instead of the usual silver ones

A cord that the driver can use to ring the bell on the top of the bus

Tinted passenger windows (That's why they look so dark in the picture)

I should also note that gold outside decals and "old-timey" numbers were added to the bus since Edison's pictures were taken.

This bus got quite a few stares from people walking down Elmwood Avenue, and some people waiting for the bus thought it was some kind of shuttle! If you're in Downtown Buffalo on the weekend keep your eyes open. You might be lucky and spot one of these two buses on a regular run.

Have the 1100's entered service yet?

Not yet... they just installed fareboxes in the first few. They received 15 so far so thats about half way there. I am told that one of the buses is going to have the Voith Hybrid system. I guess if the hybrid system malfunctions the bus is still operative. It somehow switches over to a back up mode that runs like a transmission. I know the IC CE Hybrid school bus is built like that too. I am kind of interested to find out which engine it is going to have. The 1100's with the Allison Hybrid system have cummins ISB engines. Here is a picture... nothing really different except the battery pack cover up top is longer. 174.JPG

Tinted passenger windows (That's why they look so dark in the picture)

I should also note that gold outside decals and "old-timey" numbers were added to the bus since Edison's pictures were taken.

This bus got quite a few stares from people walking down Elmwood Avenue, and some people waiting for the bus thought it was some kind of shuttle! If you're in Downtown Buffalo on the weekend keep your eyes open. You might be lucky and spot one of these two buses on a regular run.

Well my camera (and the camera operator) is not the greatest. 1067 has been running solo but they should have 1066 ready very soon.