NFTA-Metro

MT0603

Hmm, not entirely correct, but I have some 93 D40s, 95 Neoplan HFs, 96 Nova Classics, 00 Nova LFSs and Gilligs since then. Hybrid Gilligs in the 2600 series, they got about 20.

The 1995 buses are NABI 416's, not Neoplans. Well, to get technical they're American Ikarus 416's given it was done before the name change, but same deal...they were originally supposed to be Orion V's before the NFTA pulled out due to the near-death of BIA.

With the hybrids in, when or what replaces the D40's? With the NFTA in a nice little groove with Gillig, do they stay the course or shake things up again?

I don't know if NFTA has recieved any large orders recently, but if not the roster should be like this:

75, 1993 or 94 NFI D40HFs (9301-9375)

64, 1995 NABI 416s (9501-9564)

41, 1996 Nova Classics (9601-9641)

21, 1999 or 2000 Nova LFS (2001-2021)

42, 2001 Gillig LF Advantages 40 footers (21-01-2142)

42, 2002 Gillig LF Advantages 40 footers (2201-2242)

17, 2003 or 2004 Gillig LF Advantagers 30 footers (2401-2417)

17, 2005 Gillig LF Advantages 40 footers (2501-2517)

30, 2006, Gillig LF Advantage Hybrids 40 footers (2601-2630)

I believe they have some vans for Metro-Paratransit and Metrolink, I think they're Fords.

The 1995 buses are NABI 416's, not Neoplans. Well, to get technical they're American Ikarus 416's given it was done before the name change, but same deal...they were originally supposed to be Orion V's before the NFTA pulled out due to the near-death of BIA.

That's right, I realized I said Neoplan after I turned off the computer. :roll:

I don't know if NFTA has recieved any large orders recently, but if not the roster should be like this:

75, 1993 or 94 NFI D40HFs (9301-9375)

64, 1995 NABI 416s (9501-9564)

41, 1996 Nova Classics (9601-9641)

21, 1999 or 2000 Nova LFS (2001-2021)

42, 2001 Gillig LF Advantages 40 footers (21-01-2142)

42, 2002 Gillig LF Advantages 40 footers (2201-2242)

17, 2003 or 2004 Gillig LF Advantagers 30 footers (2401-2417)

17, 2005 Gillig LF Advantages 40 footers (2501-2517)

30, 2006, Gillig LF Advantage Hybrids 40 footers (2601-2630)

I believe they have some vans for Metro-Paratransit and Metrolink, I think they're Fords.

They are cutaways of some sort, yes. There was no sign of any 2700 series buses when I was down there two weeks ago, but I will probably be there next weekend, so stay tuned for an update.

Thanks for all of the information! I was hoping the Classic's were still around. Good to hear.

I take it most high floor buses are used only during peak hours?

Any suggestions for good areas to take photos in Buffalo?

I take it that the hybrids are just in random use throughout the system?

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the information! I was hoping the Classic's were still around. Good to hear.

Thanks!

Every time I'm there on a weekday there are HFs out, and all around, asn occasionally a NABI will make its way out on a weekend. They are lift equipped, so avoiding accessible routes (something impossible there) is pointless.

I assume you are going to be arriving on Amtrak? I would suggest Depew over Exchange for railfan qualities, mind you, Buffalo-Exchange Street Station is only a few blocks from the LRRT, as it's called there. If you ride on the train to Depew, you can get the 6 bus back into town.

I got some nice photos of one of the hybrids that the driver posed for me in front of Area Station, the sun was really nice in the mid morning.

See www.nfta.com for more info. :D

Thanks!

I see the D40HFs and the NABI 416s out around Tonawanda and the Galleria Mall whenever I'm in Buffalo, which is just during weekends. I've also seen the Classics around Downtown on Weekends. I forgot to note that all their buses are all Wheelchair accessible. I've only seen a couple Nova LFSes, one in Downtown and one on Grand Island.

I've only seen the Hybrids around Downtown, never around Tonawanda, The Galleria or on Grand Island.

The Gillig LF Advantages are all over the place.

As for pictures, I'd suggest the Downtown/Main Street area.

I suggest you get a all zone day pass for just 3 bucks and 50 cents... I wish transit was this cheap in Canada.

Thanks!

The MCI Classics and Orion V may be gone, which I have a photo of it last year. Both are in bad shape.

Best photos you can take a shot is across the bus terminal, there's a layover parking area for drivers. But, watch out the NFTA police officer which unfortunately I was caught, but he was cool enough that I was unaware on the ruling.

Well, enjoy staying in Buffalo which the city is just full of poor and shambles and they've been known as "rustbelt" when it comes with funding and getting some riders.

The MCI Classics and Orion V may be gone, which I have a photo of it last year. Both are in bad shape.

Best photos you can take a shot is across the bus terminal, there's a layover parking area for drivers. But, watch out the NFTA police officer which unfortunately I was caught, but he was cool enough that I was unaware on the ruling.

Well, enjoy staying in Buffalo which the city is just full of poor and shambles and they've been known as "rustbelt" when it comes with funding and getting some riders.

The Orion Vs have been gone for quite a while now.

The Orion Vs have been gone for quite a while now.

One of them was sitting at the back of their garage this afternoon, looking very worse for wear, with several parts missing.

For Martin...

The Greyhound terminal is a few blocks east of the LRRT, and there is a nice looking hotel just west of there. DO NOT look for a hotel east of the terminal as you will be entering a dump of a neighbourhood.

• 1 year later...
  • Board Admin

Wow, old thread! But here's some news:

Stimulus bill to bring 40 new hybrid buses to Buffalo

By Sharon Linstedt

News Business Reporter

The just-signed $787 billion federal economic stimulus plan will bring 40 additional hybrid buses to the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority.

Lawrence Meckler, the NFTA's executive director, announced today that the federal program contains $24.1 million earmarked for the bus purchase.

"We confirmed this in a phone call last evening with the (New York) State Department of Transportation," Meckler said. "Not only is this an unexpected boost to our hybrid bus program, this is also funding that will not require a 10 percent local match. This is wonderful news."

The far-reaching federal program will also bring the NFTA $400,000 for Metro Rail capital improvements, plus the potential for an undesignated amount of operating assistance funds.

The injection of federal cash comes as the NFTA is struggling to cut costs to bridge a potential $12 million budget gap in its 2009-2010 fiscal year. The authority boosted Metro Bus and Rail fares by 25 cents to $1.75 as on Jan. 1 to plug a $3 million in the current budget year, which ends on March 31.

It's still not known if the federal funds in combination with spending and service reductions will be enough to avert a second contemplated fare hike to $2 as of July 1.

Late last month the NFTA confirmed that $11.8 million in federal transportation funds originally targeted for renovation of the DL&W Terminal could be reprogrammed for the acquisition of 25 hybrid buses.

The hybrid buses, which utilize a combination of diesel fuel and electricity, use 25 percent less fuel than a traditional bus and have 50 percent less engine emissions than traditional all-diesel buses.

When the new hybrids are delivered next spring, the energy-efficient, environmentally-friendly vehicles will comprise 36 percent of the authority's 330-bus fleet. The NFTA rolled out it first hybrid bus in 2006 and currently has 43 in service.

Source: http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/584073.html

• 2 months later...

Does NFTA still run their Nova Classics? I'll be heading there in June and I'll like to see and ride these. Where is the best place find these along with the Nova LFS. Also, what is NFTA's photography policy. I hear the NFTA police sometimes gives transit fans trouble.

Does NFTA still run their Nova Classics? I'll be heading there in June and I'll like to see and ride these. Where is the best place find these along with the Nova LFS. Also, what is NFTA's photography policy. I hear the NFTA police sometimes gives transit fans trouble.

i can vouch that as of last june, they were.

-but the one i saw was lookin' rough.

They should.

Nova LFS, check at Downtown area.

NFTA photograph policy, just watch out the NFTA police. I end up getting caught, he was unaware from the photography rules as I was from Canada. So, he let me go but told me not to take many photos, heh!

NFTA photograph policy, just watch out the NFTA police. I end up getting caught, he was unaware from the photography rules as I was from Canada. So, he let me go but told me not to take many photos, heh!

If NFTA has rules restricting photography, I've never seen them. In any event, you can take all the photos you like of NFTA trains and buses from public sidewalks in downtown Buffalo and no one from the Authority can say a thing.

If NFTA has rules restricting photography, I've never seen them. In any event, you can take all the photos you like of NFTA trains and buses from public sidewalks in downtown Buffalo and no one from the Authority can say a thing.

No they don't have policy, it's just those transit police thinks your suspicious.

• 8 months later...

NFTA Metro has put out a RFP for the supply of low floor transit buses, 48 40 foot buses are being requested for delivery in 2010/2011 with options for an additional 133 buses of either 30, 35 or 40 foot length. These can be either diesel or diesel electric hybrid buses.

Delivery timeline:

2010/2011 - Base order of 48 low floor buses (40 foot length)

2012 - Option order of up to 21 low floor buses (30, 35 or 40 foot length)

2013 - Option order of up to 40 low floor buses (30, 35 or 40 foot length)

2014 - Option order of up to 42 low floor buses (30, 35 or 40 foot length)

2015 - Option order of up to 30 low floor buses (30, 35 or 40 foot length)

Some key specs:

-Stainless Steel structure preferred

-Diesel models powered by Cummins ISL engine, with Allison B400R or ZF Transmission

-Allison hybrid drive preferred for hybrid models, BAE Systems is acceptable

• 1 month later...

The NFTA has recently been visited by Orion and New Flyer. Last week they had an Orion VII hybrid numbered PT5. This week they have two buses from New Flyer. One is a 2005 BRT labeled with BAE systems on the side. The other is a 2009 Xcelsior. Also in early February they received 11 of the 35 Gillig hybrids numbered 1001-1011. Those went into service April 1st. They still have about 35 D40's left, only one with the Series50/ZF combo.

The NFTA has recently been visited by Orion and New Flyer. Last week they had an Orion VII hybrid numbered PT5. This week they have two buses from New Flyer. One is a 2005 BRT labeled with BAE systems on the side. The other is a 2009 Xcelsior. Also in early February they received 11 of the 35 Gillig hybrids numbered 1001-1011. Those went into service April 1st. They still have about 35 D40's left, only one with the Series50/ZF combo.

Thanks for sharing that info, and it's interesting that 2005 DE40LFA is still making it's rounds. We have a roster on our wiki that could use an update. Would you mind giving us the changes necessary?

Here is the link to the article: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=N...28NFTA-Metro%29

The wiki page looks good. Here is a little info about the fleet-

The paratransit vans are built by Coach and Equipment.

Most of the 9500 series (American Ikarus 416) buses were built in January and February of 1996. These are powered by DD Series 50 and some type of Allison 4 speed. Only four are retired. The fleet number goes up to 9567. Alot of the wrapped buses have had work done on the exteriors and painted to the current livery.

The 9600 Nova Classics have a DD Series 50 with a 5 speed Allison transmission. Six have had exterior work done with newer paint scheme, but one of those was totaled in an accident this week. Four buses are retired- not including the accident bus from this week. But i'm told it will be.

The 2000 series Nova LFS buses have a Cummins ISC and an Allison 5 speed. All 21 buses are still in service. I was told that these buses were bought through CDTA's LFS order.

The 2100 Gillig Low Floors were built in 2001. The first 20 have the older styling. These buses are powered by a Cummins ISC and a Voith 4 Speed. One bus (2118) is retired because of a fire, which burnt up 9538 with it.

The 2200 Series have the same powertrain as the 2100's. These buses have alot of miles on them- most over 400,000. These buses have always operated out of a garage that is the only garage open on weekends.

The 2400 series Gillig T29 contain a Cummins ISL and a Voith 4 speed transmission. Around 2008- 2009 these buses experenced engine problems similar to RGRTA's ISL engines. The engines would knock pretty loud and cough up thick black smoke.

The 2500 series Gillig Low Floor also contain a Cummins ISL with a Voith 4 speed transmission. The engines had the same problems as the 2400 series. 2506 was totaled toward the end of 2008 after being T-boned by a mail truck IIRC. But they can't dispose it until 2017. It has to stay on the property for the mandated 12 years.

The 2600 Gillig Hybrids have a Cummins ISB engine. All these buses are still around. One was banged up pretty bad after an AmTran RE school bus made a left turn in front of it.

The 2700 series Gillig Hybrids also have a cummins ISB. However they have a diffrent model number from the 2600's. The 2700 have G30D102N4 and 2600 have G19D102N4. I'm not sure what the difference is unless it has something to do with EPA2007?

The first eleven 1000 series were built in January 2010. I don't think these fall under the EPA 2010 emissions. I know they don't require urea. When the rest of this order comes in around summer time I would imagine those might be 2010 compliant.

I know this is a bit much. But hopefully something useful can be picked out of it. I'm kind of excited to find out who wins this next order though. Unless it is Gillig again, which they probably will win it.