Portage-la-Prairie

DavidW

City exploring possibility of offering public transit

•  
Category: Local News
Published: Tuesday, 29 June 2021 10:00
Written by Brian Oliver

Portage-la-Prairie, Manitoba, has conducted a transit feasibility study in Spring 2021.  (click on the title for the article)

Comment: I would expect starting a public transit system in Portage-la-Prairie is a long shot.  Maybe an on-demand service like Okotoks or Cochrane?

Definitely no shortage of new industrial developments in Portage... the new factories alone add hundreds of jobs, much like Maple Leaf did for Brandon. Same with newer retail, although residential growth doesn't seem to have been made from what I looked at on Google Maps, versus back when I tried to make maps for potential service on CPTDB years ago...

Service in town would definitely be nice. 

21 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

Just for the heck of it, I decided to try creating a Portage la Prairie route system. Of course, I'm not super familiar with Portage la Prairie, or it's hot spots, so this might not be the best system possible, but here it is.
PortageRoutes3.thumb.png.3ca6d3f07b4959e463d640181aca72f0.png

The only problem is that both routes 3 and 4 would have serious delays almost daily as they cross the CN and CP mainlines at level crossings. I can't think of any bus route in Winnipeg that crosses both mainlines at grade so this might not be the best solution. Otherwise great map.

1 hour ago, Viafreak said:

The only problem is that both routes 3 and 4 would have serious delays almost daily as they cross the CN and CP mainlines at level crossings. I can't think of any bus route in Winnipeg that crosses both mainlines at grade so this might not be the best solution. Otherwise great map.

I do realize that having them cross the mainlines like that could cause delays, but that's what happens when they're that close together, and there's only 1 grade-separated crossing. Obviously I can have them avoid those crossings and go over the Tupper overpass, kind of like how the 71 avoids the Arlington Bridge, but having them zig-zag like that isn't super optimal either (especially for Route 3).

In regards to Winnipeg, most of the CN mainline crossings in the city are grade-separated. In fact, I think the only location where a route crosses the CN mainline at grade these days is the 87 on Bournais, but the 87 doesn't cross the CP main (although in the past, the 87 also went to Harbour View South, and therefor did cross both, crossing CP on Munroe).

• 2 months later...

Portage is going to reveal a few service options at an event tomorrow night. A few options are on the table - fixed-route service, dial-a-ride service, or a hybrid of both. Seeing as the article mentions “routes” (plural) and the lady quoted in the article mentioned that the dial-a-ride/on-demand option would serve the entire city, I’d guess that the fixed-route option would involve a mini-network, similar to what Isaac posted above, rather than a Selkirk-esque giant loop around the city. https://portageonline.com/local/feasibility-study-reveals-potential-public-transit-options-for-portage