Jump to content

Scarborough Subway Extension


TTCNLFBT
 Share

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Shaun said:

So if they stuck with streetcars they could have connected it to the crosstown network. 

Not unless they built the crosstown to TTC specifications. Since it's an isolated line, it is being built to standard gauge and 750 V overhead wire instead of the TTC's 600 V.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, T3G said:

Not unless they built the crosstown to TTC specifications. Since it's an isolated line, it is being built to standard gauge and 750 V overhead wire instead of the TTC's 600 V.

Well, the SRT is also standard gauge, even though it too is completely isolated from any other rail line (the Eglinton LRT on the other hand is connected to the mainline at the back end of the yard, according to Google maps).

0.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, 81-717 said:

Well, the SRT is also standard gauge, even though it too is completely isolated from any other rail line (the Eglinton LRT on the other hand is connected to the mainline at the back end of the yard, according to Google maps).

0.JPG

That's to allow deliveries by rail. Cars can be unloaded directly to the line. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

The cynic in me has me wondering according to the new station map if Metrolinx doesn't already own the land, who's benefitting from having the terminal ACROSS THE STREET from Scarborough Town Centre?  The plot of land is currently vacant.  Earlier plans had the terminal on the west side of McCowan Rd. so that there would still be relatively easy access to the mall and civic centre.

image.thumb.png.111b5cf1746518a6689aebb307976cfa.png

As discussed in the YRT thread, most of the routes will presumably feed into the Sheppard East (or what they're calling Sheppard and McCowan - sounds very LA Metro) resulting in fewer routes needing to continue into Scarborough Centre.  If they're still trying to provide access to the mall and civic centre, then some routes may need to continue serving the relocated station as well as run through the area.

Metrolinx is still expecting DRT and GO to serve the new terminal, but it seems much larger than the one planned for Sheppard East, at least footprint-wise.  I don't know how the TTC's service plans will be impacted based on the size and allocation of bus platforms at both stations.

As for Lawrence and McCowan, it looks like they'll be expropriating the Shell gas station on the southwest corner to build the station building and bus terminal.  Given its proximity to the intersection I'm not entirely sure how easy it will be for buses to enter into the station.  The page makes reference to the 954 LAWRENCE EAST EXPRESS without naming it.  Unless it'll be the only route serving the station within the fare-paid zone.  It would need to turn south off Lawrence and then quickly into the station on the right.  There will be a secondary building on the northwest corner which is currently parking for Scarborough General Hospital.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gil said:

The cynic in me has me wondering according to the new station map if Metrolinx doesn't already own the land, who's benefitting from having the terminal ACROSS THE STREET from Scarborough Town Centre?  The plot of land is currently vacant.  Earlier plans had the terminal on the west side of McCowan Rd. so that there would still be relatively easy access to the mall and civic centre.

I'm curious as to why they moved it to the east side of McCowan as well. Maybe they discussed it and came to the decision with the city since they are currently in the planning stages of redeveloping the area surrounding Scarborough Centre.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

As for Lawrence and McCowan, it looks like they'll be expropriating the Shell gas station on the southwest corner to build the station building and bus terminal.  Given its proximity to the intersection I'm not entirely sure how easy it will be for buses to enter into the station.  The page makes reference to the 954 LAWRENCE EAST EXPRESS without naming it.  Unless it'll be the only route serving the station within the fare-paid zone.  It would need to turn south off Lawrence and then quickly into the station on the right.  There will be a secondary building on the northwest corner which is currently parking for Scarborough General Hospital.

I don't see any issues. They already made exiting easier this year by installing traffic signals at Lawrence and Valparaiso Ave. The only issue is buses coming northbound. However, in previous plans there was mention of a bus loop being built on the west side of McCowan north of Lawrence, I think at St Andrews Rd if I recall correctly. This loop would allow northbound buses to turn around and access the bus terminal since they would be blocked by the median at Lawrence due to the entrance roadway being so close to the actual intersection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, wil9402 said:

I'm curious as to why they moved it to the east side of McCowan as well. Maybe they discussed it and came to the decision with the city since they are currently in the planning stages of redeveloping the area surrounding Scarborough Centre.

I don't see any issues. They already made exiting easier this year by installing traffic signals at Lawrence and Valparaiso Ave. The only issue is buses coming northbound. However, in previous plans there was mention of a bus loop being built on the west side of McCowan north of Lawrence, I think at St Andrews Rd if I recall correctly. This loop would allow northbound buses to turn around and access the bus terminal since they would be blocked by the median at Lawrence due to the entrance roadway being so close to the actual intersection. 

1646678129361.png

The Lawrence and McCowan station map has 2 (possibly 3, the last one doesn't have a sawtooth cut) platforms along with a layover bay next to what will presumably be a retaining wall separating the neighbouring homes from the station.  One of those bays will be for the 954 LAWRENCE EAST EXPRESS which will likely terminate here since the Lawrence East station on the Scarborough RT will be demolished.  I don't know which other route be routed into the station.  The 54 LAWRENCE EAST and 16 McCOWAN would probably just serve on-street stops.  Unless they are going to put a cut into the median south of Lawrence, only the southbound 16 McCOWAN will be able to enter the station without building the loop north of Lawrence for buses to turn around.  There's no indication of it on the map though.  St. Andrews is off the map, and even if the loop was built in the hydro corridor it's a bit of an overshoot (2 stops) to double-back to serve the station directly.  The 54 LAWRENCE EAST buses should have no problems with a station entrance on either side of Lawrence.

I don't know if there are other service options to make use of the available bays like the pending 178 BRIMORTON.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gil said:

As for Lawrence and McCowan, it looks like they'll be expropriating the Shell gas station on the southwest corner to build the station building and bus terminal.  Given its proximity to the intersection I'm not entirely sure how easy it will be for buses to enter into the station.  The page makes reference to the 954 LAWRENCE EAST EXPRESS without naming it.  Unless it'll be the only route serving the station within the fare-paid zone.  It would need to turn south off Lawrence and then quickly into the station on the right.  There will be a secondary building on the northwest corner which is currently parking for Scarborough General Hospital.

They will also expropriate 2 residential houses. I am however intrigued at the new concept. As you will see in the attached pdf, the proposed bus loop was originally to be located in the Gatineau Hydro corridor. But things change I guess 🤷‍♂️

02-SSE-EPR Addendum - Appendix A.pdf

I do hope the 178 Brimorton is instated quite soon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The good, the bad, the ugly, the sanctions. Strabag, partly owned by a Russian billionaire, won a tunneling contract for Line 2 extension, is in hot water: 

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/tory-asks-for-review-of-144-million-contract-given-to-company-partly-owned-by-russian-oligarch-now-facing-sanctions-in-canada-1.5823142

Quote

Tory asks for review of $144-million contract given to company partly owned by Russian oligarch now facing sanctions in Canada

Mayor John Tory has asked city staff to review a $144-million contract awarded to a construction company partly owned by a Russian billionaire now facing sanctions in Canada.

The Toronto Star first reported about Oleg Deripaska’s business interests in Ontario in an article published earlier this week, detailing approximately $1 billion in public sector contracts held by a company that he owns a minority stake in through a holding company.

According to the newspaper, the Austrian-based construction company Strabag won a $750-million contract for tunneling the Scarborough subway extension in 2021.

But its business interests in the region go beyond just that, having received a $144-million contract for excavation and tunneling work on a new pumping station at the Ashbridge’s Bay Treatment Plant from the City of Toronto back in 2019.

At the time Deripaska was already facing sanctions in the U.S., though the Canadian government only recently added him to its list of Russian oligarchs and officials now facing sanctions domestically.

In a statement provided to CP24 on Thursday, Mayor John Tory’s spokesperson Lawvin Hadisi noted that the contract was awarded “long before the attack on Ukraine and the imposition of the current Canadian sanctions.”

However, Hadisi said that that Tory has asked city staff to review the matter.

“The mayor would support taking any actions in response to the federal government's sanctions – up to and including cancelling the contract – if that is the advice of our city staff and recognizing that would likely be very challenging from a legal standpoint,” she said.

The city received a total of four bids for the Ashbridge’s Bay contract and the submission from Strabag ended up carrying a price tag that was nearly $50 million lower than the next closest bidder.

According to a staff report, about $90 million of the contract value has already been awarded with the remaining $53 million scheduled to be paid out between now and the end of 2023.

In a statement given to CP24, city spokesperson Brad Ross noted that the city “completed a comprehensive review of the tender submission in accordance with all relevant policies” at the time the contract was awarded and was not aware of the sanctions Deripaska was facing in the U.S. at the time.

“The City of Toronto is currently reviewing the details related to the sanctions imposed and the requirements of the current contract,” Ross said.

Deripaska is among nearly 400 Russian officials, oligarchs and other figures who have been sanctioned by the Canadian government since the country invaded Ukraine last month.

It should be noted that Strabag itself is not facing any sanctions that would prevent it from conducting business in Canada.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 7:18 PM, Gil said:

1646678129361.png

The Lawrence and McCowan station map has 2 (possibly 3, the last one doesn't have a sawtooth cut) platforms along with a layover bay next to what will presumably be a retaining wall separating the neighbouring homes from the station.  One of those bays will be for the 965 LAWRENCE EAST EXPRESS which will likely terminate here since the Lawrence East station on the Scarborough RT will be demolished.  I don't know which other route be routed into the station.  The 54 LAWRENCE EAST and 16 McCOWAN would probably just serve on-street stops.  Unless they are going to put a cut into the median south of Lawrence, only the southbound 16 McCOWAN will be able to enter the station without building the loop north of Lawrence for buses to turn around.  There's no indication of it on the map though.  St. Andrews is off the map, and even if the loop was built in the hydro corridor it's a bit of an overshoot (2 stops) to double-back to serve the station directly.  The 54 LAWRENCE EAST buses should have no problems with a station entrance on either side of Lawrence.

I don't know if there are other service options to make use of the available bays like the pending 178 BRIMORTON.

I think it would be a little more efficient for the 954 to stay on Lawrence and not enter the terminal, if the 954 is to be extended to Science Centre Station. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 81-717 said:

As of now, is there a tentative scheduled date or approximate time of year the SRT is expected to shut down next year?

The TTC announced they would retire in the fall, so that's around the third quarter I think?

I assumed it would retire in early September, before on or Labour Day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2022 at 12:27 PM, 409 Thornton said:

I think it would be a little more efficient for the 954 to stay on Lawrence and not enter the terminal, if the 954 is to be extended to Science Centre Station. 

They could add a branch to the 954 LAWRENCE EAST EXPRESS that would serve the new Lawrence East station (side question, will they transfer this name to the new station or will Metrolinx in their infinite wisdom think that it will confuse riders and opt for another name like Lawrence & McCowan, Scarborough Hospital or Bendale Park?).  Why bother constructing a station with bus facilities if they're not going to use it?

52 minutes ago, MRD10 said:

The TTC announced they would retire in the fall, so that's around the third quarter I think?

I assumed it would retire in early September, before on or Labour Day.

I've seen both Fall 2023 and Q3/Q4 2023.  The switchover is contingent on a few other things like having acquired enough buses to implement the service change and reconfiguring both Kennedy and Scarborough Centre stations to deal with the service changes.  Here's a timeline from one of Steve Munro's posts from last fall:

sbrt_202110_nextsteps.jpg?w=1024

I'm still digging, but I don't think they've cleared their first goalpost for 2022 of "Board Approval of preferred option, Jan. 2022".  It came up in the February meeting, but no decision was made on the routing option for the connecting express bus service.  That bit of creep can quickly snowball if it's not addressed in time to meet the other deadlines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...

Scarborough Subway Extension contract for Stations, Rails and Systems contract has been awarded to Scarborough Transit Connect or Dev Co. Under the PDB or Progressive Design-Build model.

Their team members consist of:

  • Applicant Leads: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., FCC Construccion S.A.
  • Design Prime Team Member: Mott MacDonald Canada Limited
  • Construction Prime Team Members: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., FCC Construccion S.A.

The scope of work includes:

  • Design and construction of three new underground stations and bus terminals at each station.
  • Design and construction of emergency exit buildings and service buildings, and traction power substations.
  • Installation, testing and commissioning of all systems equipment and interconnection with existing TTC systems.
  • Design, supply, installation, testing, and commissioning of all rail and track components and a pocket track east of Kennedy Station.
  • Coordination with the Advance Tunnel contractor on remaining work.

Taken from this link here: https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Dev-Co-Selected-Scarborough-Subway-Extension/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Scarborough Subway Extension contract for Stations, Rails and Systems contract has been awarded to Scarborough Transit Connect or Dev Co. Under the PDB or Progressive Design-Build model.

Their team members consist of:

  • Applicant Leads: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., FCC Construccion S.A.
  • Design Prime Team Member: Mott MacDonald Canada Limited
  • Construction Prime Team Members: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., FCC Construccion S.A.

That caught me for a second ... Aecom was working for Metrolinx on the design (weren't they the lead?) and Aecon is the Canadian infrastructure lead. Some of those meetings might turn into a tongue-twister! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...