Bus Owners - insurance info?

Maybe not the right place to put this, but I’m sure there are some fellow bus owners in here. I have insurance to drive the bus privately, but I do want to be able to book events and carry passengers for profit. Anyone here have experience with getting commercial insurance or have any tips? The one quote I got was ~$8500/year, which is pretty expensive but I’m sure that’s normal.

I have had a CDL 3.5 years and I currently drive professionally for a transit agency.

On 3/25/2021 at 8:11 PM, rubbishy said:

Maybe not the right place to put this, but I’m sure there are some fellow bus owners in here. I have insurance to drive the bus privately, but I do want to be able to book events and carry passengers for profit. Anyone here have experience with getting commercial insurance or have any tips? The one quote I got was ~$8500/year, which is pretty expensive but I’m sure that’s normal.

I have had a CDL 3.5 years and I currently drive professionally for a transit agency.

$8,500/year sounds about right for a bus used for local work. Based on that quote sounds like this is your first time being a owner?

Experience working for a operator does not count, it's how many years in business that counts.

Since you are in the US, have tried TIB Insurance Brokers?

18 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Maybe try a historic vehicle?

Historic vehicle insurance typically only allows you to drive the vehicle for things like maintenance, events and the occasional pleasure trip. You wouldn't be able to legally do much else with it let alone carry passengers for hire. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, Megabus Rider said:

$8,500/year sounds about right for a bus used for local work. Based on that quote sounds like this is your first time being a owner?

Experience working for a operator does not count, it's how many years in business that counts.

Since you are in the US, have tried TIB Insurance Brokers?

Yes, first time bus owner! The bus is old but not that old, 2002. I didn't buy it with the sole intention of using it for business but I will be buying more in future for that purpose, and wanted to start things out now with this one because it is in excellent running condition.

I have not, I will look into that, thank you!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, rubbishy said:

Yes, first time bus owner! The bus is old but not that old, 2002. I didn't buy it with the sole intention of using it for business but I will be buying more in future for that purpose, and wanted to start things out now with this one because it is in excellent running condition.

I have not, I will look into that, thank you!

Hey, I didn't catch that t was you when you first posted, but I've been following you on TikTok. Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your endeavor!

• Like 1