Jump to content

2020 Christmas Loot, what did you get ???


Recommended Posts

Copies of both of Louis Pursley's books on Toronto transit: Street Railways of Toronto 1861-1921 and The Toronto Trolley Car Story 1921-1961

A T-shirt with a camera on it

Two new pairs of pants

A second SD card and second battery pack for my camera

A new pair of gloves

And my store shutting down to the public for the next while, which I'm over the moon about :D:lol:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh I had zero intentions of celebrating Christmas. But got a couple things this year. 

My favorite Coffee & Chocolate from my grocery store job.

Subway gift card from airport job. 

Probably my favorite: A Christmas Sweater with "Merry Christmas ya Filthy Animal" on it. 

An American Airlines MD-80 in 1/100 scale. 

Eau Claire Distillery Whiskey. 

18 Hours of statutory / Holiday shifts + pay. 

 

20201220_144120.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the gift cards, my haul was a bit disappointing. People mean well, but I really have everything I need.

I got a Starbucks gift card and a Wild Birds Unlimited gift card (very nice),

A plush downy woodpecker that makes 'woodpecker' noises. (I am not into plush / stuffies, but oh well)

A set of four cutting boards and a mini spatula and flipper implement (I don't really need these - but I guess I am difficult to buy for)

The usual assortment of cookies, squares (I'm fine with these) also chocolates and candies (ugh)

A box of assorted crackers and jars of assorted antipasto spreads (OK, I guess),

An insulated lunch bag (I'm retired)

A coffee mug (I don't need another one)

A travel pillow (I don't travel).

The best part of Christmas was spending it with my son, his wife and my three darling grandchildren. ♥♥♥

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My family pretty much decided on the 24th to put Christmas off indefinitely so I haven't gotten anything.  This is fine with me because truth be told, Christmas under normal circumstances is a bit rough for me but with how 2020 has gone, I'm really not in the right frame of mind for it this year, even less than normally.

That said, I did treat myself to a couple of inexpensive things.  I picked up some tiny test gear just for fun and to be able to throw into the truck for non-critical field work and a couple of small audio amplifier kits since I need a couple of utility amplifiers and didn't feel like designing and building stuff completely from scratch even though I do have a couple of ideas tossing around in my head for that which I would like to get to eventually.  The unexpected expensive purchase happened a couple of days ago when I found someone selling new old stock Agilent 34401A bench multimeters on eBay for reasonable money so I ordered one.  Anyone who saw my PCC traction current measurment video saw one of those in action as a sanity check on the demonstration circuit.  Anyways, it's a serious upgrade and retires an old Fluke 8000A once it arrives.  Those Fluke 8000As are neat but take a look inside one of those and it's not confidence inspiring at all.  Fluke's always been known for quality but they went through this period of really low, surprisingly low standards and it shows in the products from that time and the 8000A is a prime example so I'll be glad to pull it out of use.

Maybe I'll post some pictures once everything comes in.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

God a load of spectacularly comfy socks from the girlfriend, 1.2kg of sour keys, and a mug with sailing information all over it (my other addiction hobby) that I'm pretty sure knows more about sailing terminology than I do. Did Christmas 100% alone as per restrictions in British Columbia. Really bothered me to see a house down the street partying hard with over twenty people, but whatever. I played some online games with friends, talked for a while with my extended family on Zoom... it wasn't as bad as it could have been. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

Just a working bus destination sign, nothing big. Oh, and some buses!

Making one or ordering one? I'd love to see that. Do we have a "weird DIY transit projects" thread in the lounge?

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Making one or ordering one? I'd love to see that. Do we have a "weird DIY transit projects" thread in the lounge?

Oh, bought from eBay. Still figuring out how to works it properly.

Similar to this, but not same.

1 minute ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

Oh, bought from eBay. Still figuring out how to works it properly.

 

EA39E0B5-AEC6-4A62-B0FD-035FCB1BD79D.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Aside from the gift cards, my haul was a bit disappointing. People mean well, but I really have everything I need.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I think it was nice that people got you some yummy treats and the gift card to the bird store since that particularly is right up your alley.  I guess with the whole "it's the thought that counts" people really do mean well, but I get your frustration.  My parents gave me a sweater last year for Christmas.  I already have tons of sweaters.  More sweaters than I can wear.  Mom started asking me again if I needed a sweater back in October and has asked me a bunch of times since then if I need a sweater.  I keep telling her I have a whole bunch of sweaters and that I don't need any more sweaters.  I actually donated several that I hadn't worn in years last year.  But whenever my family does eventually do Christmas, I'm betting I get a sweater even though I haven't worn the one I got last year since Christmas last year.

16 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

A travel pillow (I don't travel).

These are surprisingly useful even if you don't travel.  I have one that I use all the time on the back of lawn chairs or when I'm laying on the couch to get a bit more comfortable.  Actually, I don't think I've ever taken the travel pillow anywhere when travelling but I've found it really convenient to get just a bit more comfortable when I'm lounging around the house.

16 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

The best part of Christmas was spending it with my son, his wife and my three darling grandchildren. ♥♥♥

Uh-oh.  That sounds like the sort of Christmas gathering we're not supposed to be having.  I'm glad you did it and I'm glad you enjoyed it because we all need something resembling normal life these days with the dog days of winter now under way.  All that said, I'm going to be writing a post over in the COVID-19 thread about my disgusting drive home from work on the 4:00 - midnight shift last night where it appears the local police have now started a very aggressive fishing expedition since the Ontario lockdown started at midnight.

23 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

Meh I had zero intentions of celebrating Christmas. But got a couple things this year. 

My favorite Coffee & Chocolate from my grocery store job.

Subway gift card from airport job. 

Probably my favorite: A Christmas Sweater with "Merry Christmas ya Filthy Animal" on it. 

An American Airlines MD-80 in 1/100 scale. 

Eau Claire Distillery Whiskey. 

18 Hours of statutory / Holiday shifts + pay. 

 

20201220_144120.jpg

It sounds like you had a nice little haul there.  I'm at 16 hours of statuary holiday pay between yesterday (Yes officer, I really am coming home from work.) and New Year's Day.  One of the interesting things about scale models like your 1:100  MD-80 there is if you were to round up 100 models and lay them out nose to tail next to a real MD-80, the lineup of models should be exactly as long as the real aircraft.  This was a thought I originally had when I was looking at a Corgi model of PCC 4549 which is one of the two that are still in Toronto.  At 1:48 scale, if you laid 48 of the models front to back next to the actual streetcar, the lineup should be as long as the actual streetcar anticlimber to anticlimber is if everything was scaled correctly.  Or as tall as the real thing if you could stack 48 of them up on top of each other.

2 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Making one or ordering one? I'd love to see that. Do we have a "weird DIY transit projects" thread in the lounge?

That's a good idea.  I don't think there is, but there probably should be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Uh-oh.  That sounds like the sort of Christmas gathering we're not supposed to be having.  I'm glad you did it and I'm glad you enjoyed it because we all need something resembling normal life these days with the dog days of winter now under way.  All that said, I'm going to be writing a post over in the COVID-19 thread about my disgusting drive home from work on the 4:00 - midnight shift last night where it appears the local police have now started a very aggressive fishing expedition since the Ontario lockdown started at midnight.

Our public health authority amended the restrictions here to allow one single person to visit with family once over the holidays.  It was a last minute amendment, but was made for mental health reasons to mitigate suicide / depression  that occurs from loneliness during holidays (at least that's what I took away from the news-clip).

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Our public health authority amended the restrictions here to allow one single person to visit with family once over the holidays.  It was a last minute amendment, but was made for mental health reasons to mitigate suicide / depression  that occurs from loneliness during holidays (at least that's what I took away from the news-clip).

I know.  Actually, one of my friends sent me the CBC story about that concession from the Alberta government and my reply to that was a very sarcastic "How generous".  One of my friends is coming over here for the same reason later today and after last night's trip home from work, I just finished the post about that over in the COVID-19 thread if you want to read the gory details about what happened, I'm printing two copies of the Ontario regulations and highlighting the relevant passage in there for our equivalent exemption just in case he gets trouble when he goes home.

That ordeal last night?  That was the straw on my back.  Now I'm angry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...