Vancouver Trolleybus Discussion

Vancouvers Trolleys

It would be nice if they ordered more than a mere 1-1 replacement for the next trolley order, considering how limited the trolley fleet was prior to the pandemic. Are there even enough trolleys for the 41 to remain as a trolley route when the Broadway extension is complete and the 9 reverts back to trolleys, considering the 41 only became a trolley when the 9 converted to diesels?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Transit Guy said:

It would be nice if they ordered more than a mere 1-1 replacement for the next trolley order, considering how limited the trolley fleet was prior to the pandemic. Are there even enough trolleys for the 41 to remain as a trolley route when the Broadway extension is complete and the 9 reverts back to trolleys, considering the 41 only became a trolley when the 9 converted to diesels?

can also make the argument that the 9 may or may not experience a major restructuring/reductions due to the presence of SkyTrain.

23 minutes ago, Express691 said:

can also make the argument that the 9 may or may not experience a major restructuring/reductions due to the presence of SkyTrain.

I could be wrong, but I think there’s gonna be more people using the 9 for the one-seat ride beyond Arbutus. However, the “To Granville” trips could probably be discontinued, so perhaps additional 40-foot trolleys might not be necessary, unless they wanted to increase less-frequent routes like the 4 or 7.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Michael Marriott said:

Surprisingly the 5/6 has trolleys today.  In previous years the West End service was always dieselised on Celebration of Light days.

Not sure how they are going to do it with those detours lol

21 minutes ago, ThomasW97 said:

Not sure how they are going to do it with those detours lol

Burrard to Davie is doable with trolleys, but there’s no left-turn switch from Granville to Pender, so either they’re going to be pulling down the poles or they’re swapping vehicles later.

41 minutes ago, Transit Guy said:

Burrard to Davie is doable with trolleys, but there’s no left-turn switch from Granville to Pender, so either they’re going to be pulling down the poles or they’re swapping vehicles later.

There is a left turn switch from NB Granville to WB Pender.

GranvillePender switch.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

There is a left turn switch from NB Granville to WB Pender.

GranvillePender switch.jpg

Has it always been there? I don’t remember that switch being there. Then again, I’ve never seen a bus turn left from NB Granville to WB Pender, and I also don’t pay too much attention to the wires aside from the constant clacking of trolley poles going through the switches and crossovers.

7 hours ago, Transit Guy said:

Has it always been there? I don’t remember that switch being there. Then again, I’ve never seen a bus turn left from NB Granville to WB Pender, and I also don’t pay too much attention to the wires aside from the constant clacking of trolley poles going through the switches and crossovers.

The switch has been there ever since the Granville wire was rebuilt in 2010 following the olympics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Transit Guy said:

Burrard to Davie is doable with trolleys

Common short turn route for the 5/6.

11 hours ago, Transit Guy said:

That switch is, or at least was a NIS route for the 19.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I drove this coach yesterday 2126 on the 41, it's better than nothing. It does a good job at blowing away your body heat, especially between your back and the seat.

Given these coaches are only about 5 years away from retirement. I do not see them installing AC.

The drivers compartment especially, is much more hotter than the rest of the bus.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 10:48 PM, SidneyTransitfan said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what's up with 2101? According to Tcomm it hasn't been in service since November 2020 which seems pretty odd...

On previous visits I've noticed it hasn't been out and thought maybe it was just out of action pending/undergoing repairs.

Last I heard it's parked at VTC awaiting parts due to some sort of heat fail.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Express691 said:

On Thursday the 8 will be short turning to Frederick Street/50TH due to construction between 6am and 6pm. There will be a shuttle operation between Marine Drive and Frederick Street.

CoV is doing roadwork on Fraser from 41st to Marine periodically closing down to 2 lanes into August.