Why does TTC have so few Xcelsiors?

Hi all!

I'm from NYC (and hence know almost nothing about TTC), and I was looking over the roster, but i noticed something odd. TTC only has XE40s, no other Xcelsior models. Is there any reason for this?

Best,

Jova42R

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 4:18 AM, leylandvictory2 said:

lowest bid wins the bid.  Nova won the tender.  the 20 XE40 are here on trial purposes

Not exactly lowest bid. New Flyer has frequently been disqualified due to not meeting TTC specs; continued usage of carbon steel frames (as opposed to stainless steel used in both Orions and Novas) was a big one for a while, and I believe there were some other technical requirements such as parts lists that NFI refused to provide to the TTC's satisfaction.

TTC only purchased New Flyer XE40s in order to get a sample from all viable eBus manufacturers for the test fleet, which is also why they got buses from Proterra and BYD (both companies also do not have any presence in the rest of the fleet). Nova LFSe were not purchased as they were only designed for short-range use, requiring recharging on the road; TTC is only interested in long-range buses that can charge nightly at the garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
On 10/15/2020 at 9:35 PM, Articulated said:

Not exactly lowest bid. New Flyer has frequently been disqualified due to not meeting TTC specs; continued usage of carbon steel frames (as opposed to stainless steel used in both Orions and Novas) was a big one for a while, and I believe there were some other technical requirements such as parts lists that NFI refused to provide to the TTC's satisfaction.

TTC only purchased New Flyer XE40s in order to get a sample from all viable eBus manufacturers for the test fleet, which is also why they got buses from Proterra and BYD (both companies also do not have any presence in the rest of the fleet). Nova LFSe were not purchased as they were only designed for short-range use, requiring recharging on the road; TTC is only interested in long-range buses that can charge nightly at the garage.

The last New Flyer buses in the fleet prior to these EVs were the 1998-99 New Flyer D40LFs in the 7300s and there were only about 50 or so of those buses (now gone from service as of 2017). So it seems that TTC don't care too much for NF in general, otherwise ya'll probably would have gotten some XD40s and XD60s in addition to the Novas post Orion 7 era.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Chris.A said:

The last New Flyer buses in the fleet prior to these EVs were the 1998-99 New Flyer D40LFs in the 7300s and there were only about 50 or so of those buses (now gone from service as of 2017). So it seems that TTC don't care too much for NF in general, otherwise ya'll probably would have gotten some XD40s and XD60s in addition to the Novas post Orion 7 era.

It has nothing to do with the TTC "don't care too much for NF in general". What Articulated wrote above is completely true, and with zero exceptions. NFI has been given countless opportunities to win contracts for the TTC over the past 20 years, and yet can never meet the full set of requirements as laid in the tender documents.

And yes, even something so seemingly menial as the spare/replacement parts listing for each bus is important. The TTC doesn't want to get tied to a single vendor.

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3