General SMH Moments

KenrichYT

Last Thursday at my job at Home Depot, I was tasked with assembling two garden planters (one wood and one metal). I started with the wood. No tools were required and the pieced were supposed to slide together. However when I was trying to assemble it, the pieces didn't go together at all! The whole skid was defective and we had to RTV (return to vendor) the whole skid.

My supervisor obviously understood this was beyond my control so nothing bad happened to me as a result. 

I had much better luck with the metal planter. I also built an Adirondack chair which was more difficult than I thought it would be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

Last Thursday at my job at Home Depot, I was tasked with assembling two garden planters (one wood and one metal). I started with the wood. No tools were required and the pieced were supposed to slide together. However when I was trying to assemble it, the pieces didn't go together at all! The whole skid was defective and we had to RTV (return to vendor) the whole skid.

Hold on - Home Depot sells power tools!  You guys gave up a perfectly good opportunity to go total mod squad on it!

I also built an Adirondack chair which was more difficult than I thought it would be.

It's because you're Canadian.  You should be building Muskoka chairs instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Today at work, there was a customer that was here picking up an order for three 6x6x12 posts. Some bright spark had the idea that instead of picking these three and leaving them on a cart, the customer could instead grab them from the front of our store himself... only there wasn't enough to fulfill the order.

The customer agreed to take two and to be refunded for the last piece, and with the help of a co-worker we grabbed a post (this weighs about 50 kg) and began to lift it on top of the customer's van. We had just managed to position the wood at a slant, and my co-worker had eased off for a moment and I was the only one trying, and failing, to push the post all the way up. The customer, instead of helping, sneered at me and commented that if I couldn't lift this up, how did I expect to lift up a girl?

If I wasn't trying to save face in front of my co-worker, I would've finished lifting this specific post and then walked away. I am at my wit's end with these contractors who expect teenagers and people in their early 20s to have the same strength, skills, and knowledge about their specific field as they do, and mock them when they don't. Who in the hell do these bozos think they are?

• Sad 2

• 5 weeks later...

The time when someone gets stranded and the next bus to Toronto doesn't come until 4 AM which involves a transfer. Considering that Go Transit doesn't accept cash on-board buses, he literally asks "what am I supposed to do?" I respond saying "maybe the transit operator will take you to the next train station and let you purchase your ticket at the machine." I mean that is from experience, but not all operators will do that. 

NOTE: This was just before midnight and he missed the last bus to Toronto which departed two hours prior to midnight. 

You would think that someone would plan their trip with a way home or book a hotel room for the night. Instead he said "I am just going to sleep outside." 

If I attended a concert in Toronto and if it would cut close to the last bus departure, I would opt to book for a hotel for the night instead and catch the bus in the morning. You can't really do anything especially trying to ask other people for an answer he wants to somewhere the people aren't even close to going. 

Room mate is complaining about how hot it is in the condo. I propped open the door to allow for a cross breeze, since all our windows are on the same side. Then room mate says she needs the door closed because of various 'smoke aromas' wafting in from other units that are bothering her throat.  Never happy that one.  I've never seen anyone complain so much as her.

Room mate complaining how it stinks out on the balcony. She sat out on the balcony last night and ''it didn't matter where I moved my chair it stunk''. She says it's pigeon shit. For Pete's sake, I wish she would stop complaining already. Never happy that one. It's IS HOT OUT, our balcony is a few feet from a huge garbage bin that's been stewing in the heat for days and days. Maybe the garbage stinks ?!?!?! There might be a bird poop or two, ( I scraped a few turds off already) but hardly enough to create a big stink.

She pays $290.00 rent, for that price she should shut up, smile and say Thank You. I should implement a Complaint Tax.

Handy Tip, in the hot weather the bird poop bakes hard and scrapes off for easy disposal. ?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today at work, some contractor called the store inquiring about the whereabouts of his delivery. We had a lot of deliveries to go out this morning, and the driver had to come back and make a second trip because not all of the deliveries could fit onto the truck the first time. I told him as much, at which point he started to argue with me, saying that since the driver works for us (he doesn't, we have a contract with a delivery company) we must know, when I argued this point with him he began to swear at me, saying "Don't give me any of that bullshit", demanding that I track him down, etc.

The order was released in the system, marked as released on the delivery person's paperwork, and there was no sign of it anywhere in the store. Our regular driver had called out sick, so he had a replacement and no way of contacting him. My options were to either call the delivery company, which usually involves being on hold for about 20 minutes before the call drops (which happened about 20 minutes later, when I called the delivery company at the request of a manager) or emailing their dispatchers, and they're busy and won't respond right away, and even if they did they'd just tell him the same information we told him. He was unhappy about this, continuing to get increasingly hostile and rude, and demanded to speak with a manager.

After the delivery company didn't answer my call, I copied that manager on an email to them requesting information on the present whereabouts of the order. About an hour later, they replied, saying that he was at the customer's delivery location now.

Go figure.

Word to the wise: try not to reveal that you are a child with no control over your emotions to people whose help you require. I feel bad for the poor bastards who have to work for this clown.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

My 62 year old *child* room mate decided to hang some curly strands from the bookshelves (apparently they light up). I dislike junk. I begrudgingly put up with her Play Pen Ken doll (that belongs in a toy box), but this time she has gone too far.  I don't care what she hangs / displays in her room / bathroom, but I would like the common areas to remain respectable. She says I am being miserable and that I am 'kicking her in the face'.  She is out right now and probably coming home late, so I left her a note saying that I am being reasonable and if she can't abide, then time to discuss other accommodations for her.

P8210001.JPG

P8210003.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This evening, thanks to a staffing shortage, one of my co-workers was pulled to cover another department and I was left to man customer service alone for the entirety of the night.

The chain of command in a modern corporation is probably one of the most repulsive things about our civilization. The fact that some idiot in a suit living halfway across the continent can decide what level of staffing is appropriate for a store in some town he's never going to step foot in is beyond sick.

• Sad 1

On 8/21/2021 at 4:36 PM, captaintrolley said:

...snip... then time to discuss other accommodations for her.

I was thinking that when reading your posts about open windows/the air stinks and the bird poo on the balcony. Maybe it is time. If it comes to that do not forget to change the locks on the door(s) if you can do so. Good luck in this situation.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I was thinking that when reading your posts about open windows/the air stinks and the bird poo on the balcony. Maybe it is time. If it comes to that do not forget to change the locks on the door(s) if you can do so. Good luck in this situation.

She only works a few days a month and I would love to boot her out, but she's got no place to go. Although that's not my problem.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 9:34 PM, PCC Guy said:

This evening, thanks to a staffing shortage, one of my co-workers was pulled to cover another department and I was left to man customer service alone for the entirety of the night.

The chain of command in a modern corporation is probably one of the most repulsive things about our civilization. The fact that some idiot in a suit living halfway across the continent can decide what level of staffing is appropriate for a store in some town he's never going to step foot in is beyond sick.

The sad thing is, not only do they not care, they actually like it that way.  Here's how that perverse situation works:  Your store probably pulled in the same revenue that night short staffed as it would have with normal staffing so there's no change there but they didn't pay the people that were missing and saved money on their labour costs.  The suit that's never going to set foot in the place actually turned a bigger profit out of being short staffed.

Talk about having a strong incentive to let the problem continue and they won't mind letting it slide until customers get angry and the store starts losing business worth more than the savings reaped from being short staffed at least some of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Your store probably pulled in the same revenue that night short staffed as it would have with normal staffing so there's no change there but they didn't pay the people that were missing and saved money on their labour costs.  The suit that's never going to set foot in the place actually turned a bigger profit out of being short staffed.

We were often short staffed at work also.  So, the staff that were there to do the work, had to work twice as hard.  Management figured as long as we worked our butts off (and then some) there was no need to hire extra. We shot ourselves in the foot by working harder than necessary. If we had just worked at a decent human pace, work would have piled up and they would eventually see the need to hire extra personnel.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

She only works a few days a month and I would love to boot her out, but she's got no place to go. Although that's not my problem.

No, it is not. But, if she is hurting ruining your life, I see no alternative. Good luck in whatever course you steer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Why, oh why, would you not just throw those in the trash? Hopefully this was a joke post, but if not this Craigslist post is definitely a SMH moment to me:

Used Plastic kitty litter scoops (Apple Valley)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Free...good shape just got a free metal one
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

What else might they try to give away? Perhaps they're planning to upgrade their toilet brush as well? ?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Having moved away from the customer service desk, it's been a while since I got an unreasonable dickhead customer, but all streaks must end eventually I guess.

We currently have a selection of wheelbarrows in front of our store, locked up so that customers can't just help themselves and walk away with them. Customer comes up to self check out with one and I ring him up. He disputes the price it rang up as, $150, and says it's actually going for $99. I ask him for a picture of the price tag, so he goes to take a picture and comes back. I tell him it's not the right product; I can sell it to him for that price, but it's not the right one. He says he wants the one on the price tag. I ask him "can you show me which one?" and he says "Forget it, I'm not going outside again, it's the one for $99."

I don't really have a choice here but to go and grab it for him, but I could hardly believe my ears. What kind of raging dickhead expects the worker at a shop to go and grab the product he needs for him? Fortunately for him I guess there was only one model of wheelbarrow up front that actually was going for $99, but what if there were multiple things for that price and the worker grabs the wrong one? Why wouldn't you be involved in the selection of YOUR merchandise? How exactly should the worker know (or care) about what it is that YOU'RE looking for? And if the wheelbarrows are locked up, how in the name of heaven did he come by the incorrect one in the first place? Did someone unlock it for him previously? If so, why didn't he pay attention to what the fuck it was that he was getting the first time?

On 5/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, captaintrolley said:

And Elvis is still alive and filling ketchup bottles at a rustic diner in Missouri.

No, he is here (standing next to Jimmy Hoffa, BTW) doing the dishes at Gene's! I know, I saw them last Thursday!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Listening to the radio while working in the garage earlier with my father cleaning the place up. 

Some company is advertising a "Boxing Day Sale in June." Why couldn't they just call it a summer sale? What do they call it around Christmas or January? "Summer Sale in January?" I swear I remember why I never listen to the radio. I lose my shit over the ads instead of listening to the Classics. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Greatcoinz said:

"Boxing Day Sale in June." Why couldn't they just call it a summer sale?

Because the unwashed masses associate Boxing Day with great deals. They may not bat an eye at 'Summer Sale' but salivate and froth at the merest suggestion of 'Boxing Day'. It's a gimmick. They are all gimmicks. Probably not even that great of a sale, but if it brings people out with credit cards in their hands, that's all that matters.  Sad but true. 

• Like 2

Room mate has absolutely no presence of mind. 

What I thought were big chunks of green lettuce and orange carrot sticks in the garburator turned out to be a green and orange striped 'pot scrubby' cloth.

Room mate basically subsists on junk food, and I didn't have lettuce or carrots yesterday (I would have put big chunks in the trash anyhow) so I reached into the garburator (mostly out of curiosity) to pull out whatever it was. Good thing too, if someone had turned on the garburator, that innocent little pot scrubby would have done a lot of damage.

She left a pop bottle lid in the garburator once, left the stove on twice, and got hair ribbons wound around the vacuum motor once.  What next ???

I really wonder how she has made it thus far in life.  Worse than a child sometimes. SMH.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

I really wonder how she has made it thus far in life.  Worse than a child sometimes. SMH.

Short of child-proofing the condo, I turned the breaker off to the garburator. At least that way if there is something in there that shouldn't be in there, it won't get turned on accidentally.

It's a good thing she doesn't have kids, she'd be just the sort to leave baby somewhere and wander off.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 8:11 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Today's eyeroller comes from Facebook Marketplace:

1006868870_GramophonewithLP.thumb.png.ffed4c6ffd268ff5662c285f515facf3.png

No, that machine doesn't play that kind of record...

Well, yes it does, but just not correctly! smileyslaughing_lol_group_100-101.gif?w=

Now one of these on the other hand:

Single-sided 12" 78, ( I do not have a shot of the grooved side):

100_0857.thumb.JPG.1ef22fc6a14b0e675c4c76d6f407799c.JPG

Standard 10" 78:

100_9923.thumb.JPG.bb555bb0637f1990f27e341888494b86.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Wallis