General SMH Moments

KenrichYT

2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

So room mate got a Christmas gift from one of our neighbors. Still sitting on the table 'untouched'. You would think she would at least take it into her room, or open the card. Maybe she thinks it will bite her in the ass. She sure is a strange one.

PC230001.JPG

No, after all the fear mongering, she's afraid it'll leap into her lungs.  In these COVID-19 times a gift isn't just a gift, it's a biohazard because it could be contaminated.  Right?  RIGHT?  RIGHT?

Seriously, I'm nether here nor there about the card but if she's disinterested or afraid of those cookies, send them to me.  I'll eat them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

No, after all the fear mongering, she's afraid it'll leap into her lungs.  In these COVID-19 times a gift isn't just a gift, it's a biohazard because it could be contaminated.  Right?  RIGHT?  RIGHT?

Seriously, I'm nether here nor there about the card but if she's disinterested or afraid of those cookies, send them to me.  I'll eat them.

She is very 'over the top' paranoid about covid. Won't touch anything for days. (seriously, just wash your hands after handling anything). Yet she neglects her health with a steady diet of beer, chips, cake, pop etc, and throws out perfectly good food because she hasn't gotten around to consuming it. Then she thinks some 'oregano oil drops' are gonna save her ass from covid. She's an anti-vaxxer too. SMH some more. Will send you the cookies if she doesn't regift them. I gave her a small bag of lovely cookies from the Dutch bakery here. She still hasn't touched them, but in the meantime she has consumed large quantities of store bought pre-packaged loaded with preservatives crap. I will never give her anything nice again. It's a waste on her.

Edit:  She actually picked up her gift !!! Only took two days...

• Like 1

Apparently someone literally used two different plate numbers and handwritten their sticker expiry date (month and year). Especially a few posts back on how there were cases of someone using plate stickers that expired over 30 years ago. 

Have to be careful with license plates since they are only registered to one vehicle. Especially if a plate is used on Highway 407 toll highway, the plate owner is responsible for paying the outstanding charges or the plate can't be renewed. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The time when I cancel my internet service with a third-party and they somehow don't send me a return shipping label since I no longer need the modem. So I had to contact the provider to get another one sent to avoid additional charges. Having copies of correspondence and the chats as proof.

Got the return shipping label today. Noting they given me two weeks and it has a tracking number.

Not sure how they would not send me a return shipping label the first time and expect me to pay for the shipping costs. If it was a major provider like Rogers, they actually provide instructions on how to obtain one through their website. 10 years ago, it had to be brought back to their physical store and an printed return invoice would be provided to verify equipment was returned.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

So I waited 30 minutes for a route 3 today. 

I know it is supposed to be every 15 minutes, but rather than ask the driver what was up, I just asked " Are you every 30 minutes now?" (Thinking he would reply "I am late" or "The bus in front of me was B/O or involved".  Anyhow, he said, yes, we are every 30 minutes now (this was mid PM peak). So I replied, "Huh, that's odd, you were every 15 minutes yesterday !!!"

There were two drivers, an auxiliary instructor and a trainee. (When I saw the trainee - after I had asked the question - I sort of summed things up - however..) One would think that the auxiliary instructor would know the frequency of his own route. Nope. HE had to look it up in the on board 'Book of Routes'.

What happened to good old observation?  Back in the day, you knew the frequency of your route, or you could figure it out just by observing when, where and how often you passed other buses on your route. (Or how many times you waved to other drivers on the same route in one hour LOL).

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

I know it is supposed to be every 15 minutes, but rather than ask the driver what was up, I just asked " Are you every 30 minutes now?" (Thinking he would reply "I am late" or "The bus in front of me was B/O or involved".  Anyhow, he said, yes, we are every 30 minutes now (this was mid PM peak). So I replied, "Huh, that's odd, you were every 15 minutes yesterday !!!"

There were two drivers, an auxiliary instructor and a trainee. (When I saw the trainee - after I had asked the question - I sort of summed things up - however..) One would think that the auxiliary instructor would know the frequency of his own route. Nope. HE had to look it up in the on board 'Book of Routes'.

What happened to good old observation?  Back in the day, you knew the frequency of your route, or you could figure it out just by observing when, where and how often you passed other buses on your route. (Or how many times you waved to other drivers on the same route in one hour LOL).

I'd imagine it's partially a side effect of the excessive interlining.  When a driver is only doing one round trip on the 3, and then going doing other routes, you don't really get a feel for the route, and know where the other runs are around you.  And when you do so many different routes, it's hard enough to know when your trips are, let alone other buses.  Plus, if they were doing a different route before the 3, they wouldn't have passed the buses heading the other way.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

I'd imagine it's partially a side effect of the excessive interlining.  When a driver is only doing one round trip on the 3, and then going doing other routes, you don't really get a feel for the route, and know where the other runs are around you.  And when you do so many different routes, it's hard enough to know when your trips are, let alone other buses.  Plus, if they were doing a different route before the 3, they wouldn't have passed the buses heading the other way.

Thanks. So true, I did not take that into account. The interlining has gotten to be very excessive.

Reminds me of how a transit operator locally who has been around for over a decade asked transit control if there was another departure after 10:30 PM. Transit control responded "nope, there is only one final trip going southbound. But not close enough to x destination."

Another operator had to deal with someone running asking for the same bus route. I think the challenge is that some people aren't prepared or plan on short notice to get to their destination, but not back. Especially if it is late evening with reduced frequency and not in a major city like Toronto, have to carefully plan and coordinate. 

Not you of course Capitan Trolley. More of how things constantly change but not communicated. Since some people are familiar with consistency, but not realizing if anything changes. Seeing myself getting the odd passenger lost and asking for x departure or heading to destination x. You can't really prepare for everything that comes. Only how you handle when it comes. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I can't understand some people. A passenger tried to pay the cash fare with a $5 bill and another passenger offered change for that bill. Which the passenger who paid with the $5 bill argued with the passenger and then the transit operator telling everyone "don't get involved. I will pay whatever I want."

My stop was almost missed because someone chose to argue. Eventually the passenger complied and exchanged the $5 bill for change and paid the correct fare.

I know not all transit agencies have smart cards or the capacity to accept contactless payments. At the same time, some people will just overpay the fare if it will get them to their destination. Never forgot the times when I went to the college and used their change machine to get change for a bill which is used for parking. Now it is all electronic which they have a database of plates that have paid in the parking lot. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting that some people are complaining that a Wheel of Fortune contestant lost the crossword puzzle because he said the word "and" which the rules stipulate that you can ONLY say the four words in the puzzle. Do not add anything that isn't in the puzzle.

I mean there was another instance where someone on the bonus round literally said the answer when the buzzer went off and they had to review the footage before awarding the prize. Since some people always try to find loopholes in the rules to gain an advantage and having to thoroughly review such decisions. Having a production budget and account for the risks along with the marketing and publicity. 

Reading some of the comments on social media. Jeopardy requires that an answer be answered in the form of a question. Even if the answer is correct and not in the form of a question, it is marked wrong. Even Masterminds, some questions asked require a specific answer such as a four word answer. Miss one word and it is marked wrong. This is along with how it must also be readable too. If the host can't read it, then it is also marked wrong. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7733121/wheel-of-fortune-crossword-fail/?utm_source=GlobalNational&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0qchR3uihsJXh4ohO9mklqVtCTLVvlkPxFQVCI3FuMt_qUMKh2q5CJbOE

Apparently, because literate people no longer exist, my entire town decided to come out to my store today, in view of the looming lockdown in Ontario. No one at any point realized that this time around our store is remaining open and NOTHING at all about our operation changes, so I had to deal with or bear witness to:

-people forming long lines outside our store for the entire afternoon

-people cutting in line

-people still running in to return mountains of garbage 5 minutes before closing, forming huge lines that almost definitively constituted superspreader events

-some entitled soccer mom yelling at me when I brought out her order after she'd been waiting 20 minutes, as though this makes her at all special or unique

-a customer belittling a new co-worker of mine, to the point of tears, about an order that wasn't ready. He kept demanding that she produce some kind of evidence that the order isn't ready yet for his client (this doesn't exist, and she said as much) and after some difficulty it was found that the order was there, just marked incorrectly in the computer. So they brought it out to the customer, who said he doesn't want it. When this customer left, we were 30 minutes after close.

People are scum.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

To be honest, I don't know how people function or respond. Especially this took place over one bus trip in the late evening.

• A guy runs to a bus that is out of service asking if he goes to x destination. Of course he isn't going to x destination because he is heading back to the yard.
  • Two people who don't have money for bus fare ask to go to an area where the bus just came from
  • One person literally waited at a stop missing the last departure and boarded the bus on the other side. Lucky the destination he was looking for is the terminus, so it isn't a big hassle reaching his destination 

I think the most ironic thing is that none would actually look up this info online and ask at the very last minute. If I were the person who literally waited at the other side and missed the last bus of the service day, the next departure wouldn't be for at least another 30 hours. Local buses don't run on Good Friday or Easter Sunday here.

Our store is in Lockdown III: This Time It's Personal.

I was approached in the parking lot today by someone who was probably a contractor, saying that he placed an order yesterday with a pick up date of today (why we offer that as an option, I have no idea) and he was asking when the order would be ready. I told him we were getting hundreds of orders and we were working on them chronologically. He asked how long he can expect before the order is ready and I told him it all depends on when we get to his order in the queue, to which he replied, "Wow, I fucking hate you guys."

I immediately walked away. I saw him hassling a co-worker in the parking lot 5 minutes later.

:rolleyes:

• Sad 3

20 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Our store is in Lockdown III: This Time It's Personal.

I was approached in the parking lot today by someone who was probably a contractor, saying that he placed an order yesterday with a pick up date of today (why we offer that as an option, I have no idea) and he was asking when the order would be ready. I told him we were getting hundreds of orders and we were working on them chronologically. He asked how long he can expect before the order is ready and I told him it all depends on when we get to his order in the queue, to which he replied, "Wow, I fucking hate you guys."

I immediately walked away. I saw him hassling a co-worker in the parking lot 5 minutes later.

:rolleyes:

Niiiiiice.  What a prizewinner.  On one hand, I get it, everyone's mental health has been seriously eroded and they seem to be making every effort to make it worse and people, myself included are starting to get very short tempered, but taking it out on someone that just works there like that is uncalled for.

On my end, I'm shaking my head about my truck.  I've been driving the shit out of it for the last year and repair costs have bumped up on it as things wear out more quickly.  I have a receipt for just over $600 worth of wheel bearing replacement and some other front end work after a bearing went bad in spectacularly grand fashion with barely a moment's notice on the way to work on Tuesday.  I'm shaking my head because there's nothing for me being an essential services worker that has to go to work at work, but the work from home laptop warriors have been given that $400 no questions asked, no receipts necessary tax credit when they're already saving big money on commuting.  By using less public transportation or by driving less and saving maintenance costs like this, they're well ahead of the slight bump on their hydro bills that even the biggest, meanest, baddest electricity sucking work from home laptop is going to cause.  But everyone at work that's killing their vehicles because there are still a lot of public transportation cutbacks that make it unusable for the various after hours shifts get nothing.  I shake my head at this situation.  I shake my head wondering how on earth this makes sense to our idiot boy of a prime minister.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I'm shaking my head because there's nothing for me being an essential services worker that has to go to work at work, but the work from home laptop warriors have been given that $400 no questions asked, no receipts necessary tax credit when they're already saving big money on commuting.  By using less public transportation or by driving less and saving maintenance costs like this, they're well ahead of the slight bump on their hydro bills that even the biggest, meanest, baddest electricity sucking work from home laptop is going to cause. 

My room mate got that $400.00, and she worked a grand total of 52 days last year. She hasn't even worked this year yet. And, she insists on me sending her electronic copies of the Telus and Electric bill, so she can 'figure out' how much to claim next year in case they don't have that flat $400.00 dollar credit. I begrudgingly sent her PDFs of the bills and told her she's wasting her time because the tax guy that does our taxes is not going to be at all interested in our utility bills. I joked, that next she will want tax credit for TP because she is using 'private stock' and not office TP.  SMH.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today, an agitated customer tried to enter our store, which remains closed to the public. An associate tried to block him from entering, but he replied "fuck you, I'm not waiting any longer". He was accosted by a second associate, to whom the customer said "If you don't bring me my order within 10 minutes it's going to get loud in here." The associate replied that he would be happy to sort out his issue outside, but if he remained in the store all that he would get is a fine.

I always think that the people who shop here can't sink any lower and yet somehow, they always manage to.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Room mate emailed me an article about how there really isn't a SARS COV-2 virus because no one has ever really seen it and it is just a hoax being used by the NWO (New World Order) to control us. 

Where does she find this garbage? If she's browsing that goofy shit, her computer is gonna end up with a virus too. SMH

• Haha 1

Room mate emailed me an article about how there really isn't a SARS COV-2 virus because no one has ever really seen it and it is just a hoax being used by the NWO (New World Order) to control us. 

Where does she find this garbage? If she's browsing that goofy shit, her computer is gonna end up with a virus too. SMH

Especially there is concern regarding misinformation being spread online. Of course growing up in school, they always say "anyone can post anything on the internet and make it look real." Back then, there were no such thing as fact checkers or labels on social media platforms regarding who is official and who is fake. 

3 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Earth is flat.

Moon landing never happened.

Climate change isn’t real.

The earth was created in six days by a benevolent sky daddy 8000 years ago.

• Haha 2

On 5/4/2021 at 8:44 AM, captaintrolley said:

She forgot about the microchips that Bill Gates is implanting inside us. 

On 5/4/2021 at 10:11 AM, Bus_Medic said:

Earth is flat.

Moon landing never happened.

Climate change isn’t real.

The earth was created in six days by a benevolent sky daddy 8000 years ago.

And Elvis is still alive and filling ketchup bottles at a rustic diner in Missouri.

What I want to see are duelling conspiracy theorists.  Let's get some flat earthers together with some of the ones who believe the earth is hollow and that UFOs originate from inside, and then let them fight it out over the conflicting geometry.  If it's a flat plane, it cannot be a hollow sphere, and if it's a hollow sphere, it cannot be a flat plane.

Anybody want popcorn?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

What I want to see are duelling conspiracy theorists.  Let's get some flat earthers together with some of the ones who believe the earth is hollow and that UFOs originate from inside, and then let them fight it out over the conflicting geometry.  If it's a flat plane, it cannot be a hollow sphere, and if it's a hollow sphere, it cannot be a flat plane.

Anybody want popcorn?

I would take some popcorn. Especially with all those conspiracy theorists duelling over their beliefs.