General SMH Moments

KenrichYT

So my room mate, who professes to be so neat, clean and tidy (she will spot a black piece of lint on the floor 20 feet away for fear it might be a bug) left this mandarin orange on her side of the counter. Normally I don't even touch 'her side' of the counter, but a fruit fly led me to this. Looked fine on the top, but rotten as heck underneath. I know she had intentions of eating this orange 'some day'. In the time this orange has been out, she must've had 40 bags of chips and chocolate almonds, but can't eat ONE measly little orange.  Needless to say the orange is in a plastic bag and in the garbage. It's there if she ever wants it.

IMG_5174.JPG

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have PC Insiders back during the pilot phase which is now PC Optimum Insiders. 

Which since I had the annual subscription, I had the $99 travel credit which I thought would expire at the end of this year. Even when my membership got extended by another 3 months. Except, they changed it to expire by October 7th that it has to be used up by and on top, have to phone in to use it. Online ability was disabled to ensure it is difficult to use along with the other restrictions.

I find a reasonable hotel with a total cost which the travel agent couldn't locate it on her system. She actually had to go on the website and book it, then process it with the adjustment of the travel credit. This is along with having difficulties locating my membership info to provide me the travel credit.

At least I got the documents confirming the booking plus other info. PC Optimum Insiders is $119/year compared to PC Insiders at $99/year. The plus side is that I earn 5 percent in points on travel bookings which is reasonable. 10 percent on President's Choice products, Joe Fresh and Beauty Boutique online purchases. 

On the plus side, at least the new version of the membership starts October 8th until my membership ends in March 2021. At least I won't be paying anything yet until then.

Interesting that with the U-Pass in my area, someone got on the bus saying "it is still valid since it sounds the valid beep."

Transit operator reminded the passenger that the U-Pass program is suspended and a proper fare (cash fare, scratch card or monthly pass) is required. Noting the passenger was let on and she literally said "why should I pay when I still have my validation sticker and it still works on the fare payment device."

You would think with all the notices sent out and shared on different channels, there wouldn't be any excuse to prepare. It isn't like with photo identification (in Ontario) that if it expired after March 1st, it would still be valid because Service Ontario isn't doing renewals currently. Wanting to minimize the amount of people in those locations noting some require a new photo be taken. 

Ironic enough, some people literally taken to Facebook to defend people who use the U-Pass despite how the program is suspended. Sometimes, you can't reason with people on how wrong they are. Let alone, how transit service can't restore to regular service so quickly noting there is a process involved in service delivery. 

• 2 weeks later...

So when one emails 3-1-1 in Edmonton, they get an automated response confirming they have received your email.  In the body of that auto-reply is this paragraph

[Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact the City of Edmonton.

We attempt to respond to all email questions/concerns within 24 hours; however, if your matter is urgent, please contact us 24 hours a day/7 days a week by dialing 311 if you reside inside Edmonton, 780-442-5311 if you reside outside of Edmonton or visit us online at www.edmonton.ca for information and self service options.]

To save money, 3-1-1 has reduced their hours of operation from being a 24/7 service, to 0700-1900hrs, a 12 hour service. The reduction took place quite a while ago, so not very recent.  A few times I have emailed them to correct their auto-reply.  I guess having correct information is just not on their radar.  Stuff like this does not instill any confidence in this CoE department.  I have yet to have good service or correct information from them. As a matter of fact, several of my emails have gone totally unanswered. This is not acceptable, but not surprising either.

• Sad 1

On 9/26/2020 at 3:31 PM, captaintrolley said:

We attempt to respond to all email questions/concerns within 24 hours;

With regards to emailing 3-1-1... the above statement is also BS. Tomorrow it will be three days and haven't heard back.

It sure does not make this City Department look good to provide such terrible service. There was a time when stuff like this was cause for disciplinary action.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Lady gets on the bus, wearing a mask.. She sits down and then takes her mask off for the remainder of her trip. SMH.

I seen one person who has their mask hanging last week. More ironic is that she touches the transfer with her mouth.

You wonder why some operators won't handle tickets, transfers or punch cards (operator clips off a ride) unless mandatory. I know one operator who literally would wear gloves to avoid the risk of contamination from any surfaces being touched. Right now, operators are provided disinfectant wipes to disinfect their work space. 

Lots of moments at work today:

1. When the delivery truck driver came in this morning, by way of asking if everything was good, he asked me several times instead if I'd checked everything, and if I was sure, and if I was sure that I was sure, etc. No, guy, I just started this job today. I didn't even look at the products.

2. I found out, not from any source in the job, but from the driver, that there was supposed to be a store to store transfer going out today. I inquired around, found out it wasn't ready, told him as much and sent him on his way, but the last time this happened, despite the assurances of two!!! managers that the transfer was NOT ready, he ended up going behind my back and having someone else put together the transfer for him, who thereafter told me off for not having the transfer ready. Today's transfer was for drywall corner beads, no significant physical challenge, so I decided to get ahead of it and put the transfer together, thereafter leaving it with another employee to be tied up and made ready for shipment.

3. The driver returned and did not want the transfer; instead, he had a rejected order and asked me if I could offload him. I told him that I couldn't, on account of not being able to drive a forklift, and he cut me off by telling me that he had other deliveries and he had to get going. And I suppose he thinks I reached for my radio for fun, too.

4. The corner bead transfer ended up vanishing before the other employee prepared it for shipment.

5. Right before my shift ended, a customer came in, furious, about a delivery that was supposed to go out a few days ago that had fallen through the cracks and was chewing one of the managers' ears off. Fortunately, my shift was over, but if it hadn't been it would've been my responsibility to somehow get ~300 pieces of wood together and prepare it for shipment. This should've been night crew's problem - where were they? Why are day shift workers on the hook for things that happened while they were blissfully unconscious?

6. There is no night crew scheduled for the holiday, meaning that my shift tomorrow is going to consist fundamentally of trying to put together orders to be shipped out on Tuesday. I'll do my best, of course, but not being able to drive a forklift and not having the luxury of using the whole store as a staging area will mean that "my best" might maybe finish off one order or two, if I'm lucky. And when, inevitably, there's chaos in the orders on Tuesday, guess who's going to be blamed? Maybe there shouldn't be deliveries if there's no personnel to do the job?

I saw all my work friends today, including my crush (who, I'm relieved to say, showed no indication that there was any bad blood between the two of us, leading me to believe I probably read way too much into something that wasn't there), so I can't, accurately, call it a bad day. Even so, I'm getting fed up with being everyone's spit cup.

• Like 3

I was at Tim Hortons yesterday and there was someone who literally cut through the line saying "I have a walker and I cannot wait long periods of time." Noting that there was only one cashier to handle the long lineup.

Considering that she literally was asking the cashier "I need change for a $20 bill." Ironic enough, she wanted to pay for her purchase with Tim Hortons gift cards. By that time, me and the other person got our transactions done while the poor cashier was still dealing with the person who is demanding. Noting she didn't bother wearing her mask until coming up to the cashier.

Sometimes, I don't know how people live their life being aggressive and demanding. Especially since stores can only follow certain rules to an extent before management gets involved. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 2:47 PM, captaintrolley said:

Guy orders a large coffee (maybe 14 oz) and puts NINE packets of sugar in it. It was very good coffee, from a local independent coffee shop, not swill. It took everything I had not to gag while watching him ruin his coffee.

TBH the only way I like my coffee is microwaving a cup of milk and adding a teaspoon of instant coffee. Coffee made with hot water generally tastes pretty awful to me, even if I add milk/cream to it. When I buy coffee, I always add at least 2 packets of sugar and 2 packets of milk or cream, but it's still not as good. So I usually either drink coffee at home, or buy a latte or hot chocolate.

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2020 at 2:47 PM, captaintrolley said:

Guy orders a large coffee (maybe 14 oz) and puts NINE packets of sugar in it. It was very good coffee, from a local independent coffee shop, not swill. It took everything I had not to gag while watching him ruin his coffee.

It was not I, I would have used at least twelve and also added a couple of ounces of creamer.

On 11/1/2020 at 3:05 PM, Greatcoinz said:

The weather here in Calgary. ...snip... My neighbors are mowing their lawn. 

Thanks for the reminder, I need to do that tomorrow! ☹️

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 6:52 PM, J. S. Bach said:

Thanks for the reminder, I need to do that tomorrow! ☹️

I did not get it done until Monday 09nov20! Note that I was on a long weekend trip to Springfield, OH; I left at odarkthirty on 03nov20 and did not return until 08nov20.

On 11/2/2020 at 7:33 PM, captaintrolley said:

? I really hope you are being facetious.

No, I was not although I generally use the blue bags of death instead of real sugar. Now at home, if I brew up a pot, I use brown sugar.

Was just reading this article and it is interesting how someone didn't bother renewing their license plate sticker for over 30 years. Noting unless they somehow didn't change cars or was attached to an older vehicle. 

The record so far with proof is one expired back in 1984.

It is interesting that some people think that license plate stickers expired right now are still valid. Except it is after March 2020 when the pandemic was declared. Some people ordering replacement stickers online and some prefer the in-person experience knowing they will get it in the same day. At the end of the day, I really am not sure how some manage to not renew for years. But 30 years, I am pretty sure they would have at least a few tickets regarding the validity of their license plate. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Was just reading this article and it is interesting how someone didn't bother renewing their license plate sticker for over 30 years. Noting unless they somehow didn't change cars or was attached to an older vehicle. 

The record so far with proof is one expired back in 1984.

It is interesting that some people think that license plate stickers expired right now are still valid. Except it is after March 2020 when the pandemic was declared. Some people ordering replacement stickers online and some prefer the in-person experience knowing they will get it in the same day. At the end of the day, I really am not sure how some manage to not renew for years. But 30 years, I am pretty sure they would have at least a few tickets regarding the validity of their license plate. 

That first license plate with the Aug 89 sticker, look at the corner below it, there's an Aug 9-something sticker there, so someone started a second stack of stickers in the other right corner of the plate and it got a sticker in at least 1990.

Things I don't enjoy very much: working 5 days straight, then having one day off, then working 5 days in a row, then having one day off, then another 4 days in a row.

Had to prepare a shipment today of insulation by hand that took all my shift to do. Couldn't figure out how to band it correctly together so I had to ask, each time, for another employee to help. Only the store was rammed with customers, which meant getting anything done took way longer than it should have.

I'm very much hoping the experts who are predicting the return of normal life next year amidst the vaccine are right, because I need to find myself somewhere far away, camera in hand, answerable to no one but myself, like I need food and drink.

tenor.gif

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I got my new credit card in the mail, except it can't be activated because it isn't in the database yet. With card issuers, they always say "the replacement card comes within 7 to 10 business days."

Except my request was made on Monday morning and received Friday the same week. Not being far and I guess pushing out the card issuance before heading for the holidays and being on a different schedule. It isn't the first time it has happened. Had the same issue with a different card issuer which they sent out the card quickly before the info was in their database to be activated cancelling the old card. Noting that I guess some people really want their new card or replacement in a timely manner.

On the topic of credit cards, someone on Twitter posted both the front and back of their card. Then asked "why is it empty?" Which technically, the cardholder will be held liable for all the fraudulent charges most likely in a legal perspective. Because they shared confidential info in a public forum and the agreement clearly stipulates that "all info must be kept private." Do people not understand the dangers especially how public the internet can be?

• Like 2

Two stories from today:

1. There was a customer that came in to return a toilet. Only, it was used.

Like, visibly used. There was urine on it, it was dripping wet, and it left a nasty puddle on the ground below which some of my co-workers (accidentally) proceeded to walk through.

Several managers were called over, and, thankfully, sent him packing. But oh my God???? Have these people not got a shred of class????

2. While on door duty, counting customers to ensure we remain within the capacity limits, some old guy came by and told me that I should get a real job.

?

When the next lockdown starts, it looks like our store will be going curbside only, which means no non-employees will go into the store. Thank Christ for that

• Like 3

20 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

1. There was a customer that came in to return a toilet. Only, it was used.

Like, visibly used. There was urine on it, it was dripping wet, and it left a nasty puddle on the ground below which some of my co-workers (accidentally) proceeded to walk through.

Several managers were called over, and, thankfully, sent him packing. But oh my God???? Have these people not got a shred of class???

Well at least they didn't try it before they bought it...

This makes me think of some of those 'sleep on it for 60 days and return it no questions asked if not completely satisfied' promotions a few of the mattress store chains or mail order brands run. I cringe when I see those because you know some poor soul out there is having to deal with 'processing' the occasional returned sweat sponge/vomit stained/foul mattress some slob got just to work the system. 

----

A SMH moment of my own, I managed yet again the other night to forget to check my pockets before going home. Get home and realize I still am carrying the inventory tablet I had been carrying all day. (ours are the newer Zebra ones about the size of a large smartphone) It's a good thing we have a bunch of them at work so I could just bring it back the next shift, otherwise I'd of had to drive back again at 2am in the morning just to drop it off.

• Like 1