CT - School Service Discussion

TechSpotlight

The 744 Crescent Heights-Coventry South has changed- it now gets two 40-footers (typically 1 Spring Gardens & 1 Stoney) on the AM run, whereas it formerly had a 40-footer from either Spring Gardens or Stoney and a 60-footer (most likely from Stoney because I remember a lot of XD60's). Leads to some pretty crowded rides, but if there's a higher chance of riding D40LF's in the morning I'll be fine with it.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/11/2021 at 2:47 PM, Gsgeek540 said:

861 went from Grandin, Southland Drive, Deerfoot Trail, 24 street, 114 avemue, 52 street SE. Id always ask if anyone needed Mahogany and if not, turn into auburn bay instead.....then the nice 25 Minutes to get to NB 4 street at 11 avenue SW for a route 3.....ugh

Do you have a map of it laying around? I live near there and I always see this sign of it and have always been curious to where it went.

IMG-5470.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the school service updates for the 2022-23 school year.

Route 735 - Central Memorial / North Ogden has been discontinued.  Service in Riverbend has been fully replaced by the 731, and service in Ogden has been replaced by the 734.

Route 755 - J.C. Schubert / Douglas Glen, Route 758 - J.C. Schubert / Douglasdale, and Route 759 - J.C. Schubert / McKenzie Towne have been discontinued, as those communities have been handed over to Lord Beaverbrook High School.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update for the 2022-23 school year is the creation of Route 779 - Henry Wise Wood / Riverbend / Ogden, serving the communities Ogden, Lynnwood, and Riverbend. According to the CT website, this route will not show up on any of the Rider tools until mid-October. From my visit to Wise Wood this afternoon, it looks like only a handful of people are using this route currently. Here is a photo of 8019 on the route:

IMG_0287.JPG

• Like 2

It looks like Calgary Transit has added a 4th bus onto the 766 - Dr. E.P. Scarlett - Evergreen to alleviate overcrowding, meaning that the route now has one articulated bus from Victoria Park plus three conventional buses pulled from various garages around the city, usually AG buses but also sometimes VP and SF as of late. Here are 8417 and 8458 on the 766 this afternoon.

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

• Like 1

It seems transit is aware of overcrowding on school routes. The 746 got a Diesel Nova (8130) when its regularly scheduled as a 60 foot and to regulate overcrowding Transit dispatched an extra bus leading to, a 60 foot and 2 40 foots on the route, here's two terrible images I captured.

VideoCapture_20220913-084821.jpg

20220913_081225.jpg

1 hour ago, BC_YYC said:

It seems transit is aware of overcrowding on school routes. The 746 got a Diesel Nova (8130) when its regularly scheduled as a 60 foot and to regulate overcrowding Transit dispatched an extra bus leading to, a 60 foot and 2 40 foots on the route, here's two terrible images I captured

In situations this year where 2 40 foot buses have been dispatched instead of an articulated bus, it is a shortage of articulated buses, which has been a significant problem the last few days. A number of Victoria Park garage articulated blocks were moved to stoney because of the shortages causing a shortage of articulated buses at Stoney which is replaced by their ample number of 40 foot buses. surprised they are finding the operators though.

I have to admit though, so far, with the still low number of operators and fleet challenges, Service design continues to work nonstop and has so far done fairly well to try to resolve a number of issues within their control.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Gsgeek540 said:

In situations this year where 2 40 foot buses have been dispatched instead of an articulated bus, it is a shortage of articulated buses, which has been a significant problem the last few days. A number of Victoria Park garage articulated blocks were moved to stoney because of the shortages causing a shortage of articulated buses at Stoney which is replaced by their ample number of 40 foot buses. surprised they are finding the operators though.

I have to admit though, so far, with the still low number of operators and fleet challenges, Service design continues to work nonstop and has so far done fairly well to try to resolve a number of issues within their control.

All I'm reading is the city is eager to purchase some brand new XN60s! 🤣

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, 2102 said:

All I'm reading is the city is eager to purchase some brand new XN60s! 🤣

I think they are eager to purchase any kind of bus at this point….

To get back on topic, Due to school bus driver shortages, Calgary Transit has also picked up several (around 20) unpublished elementry/junior high charters indefinately. These operate much different then regular school runs, as they mirror school bus runs, with fewer stops and many stops not being at CT bus zones, many roads not traveled by CT, etc. This is the first time that transit has had elementary/junior high charters in roughly 15 years.

• Like 6

Just noticed this today there were these 2 buses lined up at Sherwood school in lynnwood today and they left just after 3 when school would’ve ended, both buses ended up in auburn bay following the same routing. There’s no mention of any routes at Sherwood school on Calgary transit’s website, so are those brand new school routes Calgary transit has added or just the case of driver shortages? it’s interesting that both buses do show on the tracker unlike the other buses previously mentioned which are used for elementary/junior high school charters which do not appear to track at all. 
Both buses seem to be doing other routes after (7870 doing the 178 and 8480 doing the 14 respectively) 

E32B6A46-4D3A-4096-A38F-2388D192C5D5.jpeg

29 minutes ago, tctf101 said:

Just noticed this today there were these 2 buses lined up at Sherwood school in lynnwood today and they left just after 3 when school would’ve ended, both buses ended up in auburn bay following the same routing. There’s no mention of any routes at Sherwood school on Calgary transit’s website, so are those brand new school routes Calgary transit has added or just the case of driver shortages? it’s interesting that both buses do show on the tracker unlike the other buses previously mentioned which are used for elementary/junior high school charters which do not appear to track at all. 
Both buses seem to be doing other routes after (7870 doing the 178 and 8480 doing the 14 respectively) 

School charter.  Only reason they track, is that the operators are signed into the CAD under the block they are doing after the school charter.  Of course they will continue to display out of service on the tracker until they reach the starting point for the regular piece.

• Thanks 1