CT - School Service Discussion

TechSpotlight

I thought I'd create a separate thread for school service, as it is a big interest of mine for the past year or so.  The newly released school service schedule effective September 1, 2020 has been released.  The following school service runs have been removed:

695 - St Francis / Valley Ridge

743 - Crescent Heights / Whitehorn STN

795 - Vincent Massey / Strathcona

857 - St. Stephen / Evergreen

And the following school service runs has been added:

781 - Bishop Pinkham / Discovery Ridge

783 - Dr. Gordon Higgins / Temple

784 - Captain Nicola Goddard / Panorama (PM ONLY)

795 - F. E. Osborne / Sage Hill

858 - St. Stephen / Legacy

2 hours ago, yvarushin said:

I wonder why the 857 was removed... it was a really busy route.

Yeah it seemed busy. I think they might have changed the boundaries of the school zones in the area and if not they added service around that area to serve the kids better.

13 hours ago, yvarushin said:

I wonder why the 857 was removed... it was a really busy route.

10 hours ago, R. Meu said:

...I think they might have changed the boundaries of the school zones in the area...

That is correct. Evergreen is now fully designated to Our Lady of Peace school, a transition that has taken place over the last couple years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just now, R. Meu said:

8337 is seen in Riverbend doing the 734 sometime in September. I believe this and a few other school runs like the 699 and 801 are not programmed to be stacked on the titan signs.

Also the 733 as well (not too sure about the 731 and 735).  Also remember that the Spectrum signs also display those routes on one line as well.

Here's a photo of 8405 doing the very short-lived (and now cancelled) Route 784 Captain Nichola Goddard - Panorama. Based on the few times I saw this run, it had no ridership, and I believe the current 887 takes the few kids who still need this service.

8405.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Will Transit’s school express services be affected by the adjustments to in-school learning for Grades 7-12?

From an outsiders standpoint, I'm almost positive school routes, as well as school extra trips on regular runs will be cancelled due to the shift to online learning.  But I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens on Monday.

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, green_line_26 said:

Does anyone know a way I can find out if the buses will actually be running next week? I checked CT's website and the buses are scheduled but there's a warning reading "trip may be cancelled due to holiday..."

(exam break) 

In previous years, Central usually ran the school routes in the morning during exam break (as did all schools), however in the afternoon they're usually cancelled.  Theyre usually posted on https://www.calgarytransit.com/schedules-maps/school-express-routes/variations a few days in advance if they're cancelled or running on a modified schedule.

Speaking of Central, I passed by the 731 on Glenmore and did confirm it is NOT stacked on the Titan signs (in response to a post I made a few months ago)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Due to the CBE spring break last week, and the Catholic board spring break this week, many temporary changes were made.  Last week, there were VP artics on the 802 in the afternoon instead of the normal SG buses that should be on it.

This week, one of the two PM 699s was a Stoney artic, again, instead of the normal SG bus that would normally run on it.  Pink running boards on both.

Found this photo of 7609 sitting outside Anderson Garage on May 10, 2012 at 0757. I no longer remember where route 861 went but it seems that the sign was not working so only the number was displayed.

CT7609.jpg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, D40LF said:

Found this photo of 7609 sitting outside Anderson Garage on May 10, 2012 at 0757. I no longer remember where route 861 went but it seems that the sign was not working so only the number was displayed.

CT7609.jpg

Bishop Grandin Douglasdale

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 11:41 AM, Gsgeek540 said:

Back in those days, the 861 primarly went to Mahogany and Auburn Bay. I remember that signup oh to well

488BE35F-AA0C-43AE-BB66-05BB1B95B114.jpeg

I don't remember doing those areas on a school run, although it is possible. I am trying to find the old running boards that used to show up on self-serve (for some crazy reason I saved them all), I have them somewhere but so far can only find the 2013's. I also have a photo of 7001 on what I think is a school run but there is nothing on the signs so again will need to look for the running boards.

5 minutes ago, D40LF said:

I don't remember doing those areas on a school run, although it is possible. I am trying to find the old running boards that used to show up on self-serve (for some crazy reason I saved them all), I have them somewhere but so far can only find the 2013's. I also have a photo of 7001 on what I think is a school run but there is nothing on the signs so again will need to look for the running boards.

861 went from Grandin, Southland Drive, Deerfoot Trail, 24 street, 114 avemue, 52 street SE. Id always ask if anyone needed Mahogany and if not, turn into auburn bay instead.....then the nice 25 Minutes to get to NB 4 street at 11 avenue SW for a route 3.....ugh

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

The newly released school service schedule effective September 1, 2021 has been released.  The following school service runs have been removed:

757 - J.C Schubert / McKenzie Lake

770 - Western Canada / Lynnwood & Ogden

771 - Western Canada / Chinook Station

827 - Bishop Carroll / Heritage and Anderson Station

The following school service runs have been added:

718 - Beaverbrook / Douglasdale

751 - James Fowler / Castleridge, Falconridge and Coral Springs

789 - A.E Cross / Signal Hill

823 - Bishop McNally / Skyview Ranch and Redstone

Due to Bishop Grandin High School being renamed due to certain circumstances, the school routes have been changed.

860 - Bishop Grandin / New Brighton has been changed to 848 - Haysboro / New Brighton

861 - Bishop Grandin / Douglasdale has been changed to 849 - Haysboro / Douglasdale.

Also, the 699 has been separated into both the 697 and 699.  The 697 serves Cougar Ridge, West Springs and 45 Street SW.  The 699 serves Old Banff Coach Road, 85 Street SW, Strathcona and Signal Hill.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the first day for school, and thus is the first day for school express routes!  It seems like the signs haven't been programmed yet.

Here is 8142 zooming down on Bow Trail SW in between 85 and 69 Streets while working Route 697.  This is the first time a revenue CT route has served this section.

Calgary Transit 8142 9-01-21.jpg

• Like 1