• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some pictures taken the other day.  

SOUTHLAND 8388

I myself have been on several of those 6900 series, built in 2016 which are 2017 model year.  Nice buses!

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Southland Prevost H3-41 #1529 and BB 3800 #3464 are now retired from service and are sitting in the CPS property near 11 Street and 64 Avenue NE.  Name/livery has not been painted out on either unit, and both still have their licence plates.

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, NWOBus said:

Bus is originally from Ontario. Has a Leeds Transit decal to the left of the entrance door. Leeds is Ontario's IC dealer.

Actually, the bus is originally from Diversified Transportation in either AB or BC.  Before Western Canada IC Bus was a thing, all of PWT's CEs originated from there, even the ones brand new to Southland in Diversified in the western part of the country.  Many of our ICs still have Leeds Transit mudflaps and some still have the decals (although I'm not sure how many).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Enviro_1203 changed the title to Southland Transportation
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Southland has yet again taken delivery of several 2021 model BlueBird Visions powered by propane, many of which are sitting at the Highfield yard.  Several had numbers, but several did not.  Here were the ones I was able to see:

8681, 8682

8805, 8805, 8806, 8807

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, School Bus 101 said:

Great find! Wonder if they will repaint 2584 into school bus yellow. 

I don’t know Southlands very well but I don’t imagine they would bother painting it. The bus doesn’t have red and orange lights meaning that even if it were to be painted it would not be made legal to be used as a school bus.

1 hour ago, Thomasw said:

I don’t know Southlands very well but I don’t imagine they would bother painting it. The bus doesn’t have red and orange lights meaning that even if it were to be painted it would not be made legal to be used as a school bus.

2 hours ago, School Bus 101 said:

Great find! Wonder if they will repaint 2584 into school bus yellow. 

Heres the thing, in the City of Calgary there is a bylaw restricting use of red flashing lights and stop signs in certain areas.  In the past, I've seen many types of buses without said equipment operating school runs in the city (or buses with equipment such as stop signs, in different places than they would normally be located on a Canadian spec'd bus.)  See the first page of the document at the following link: HERE.

A good example of this is the Strathcona Tweedsmuir school buses that First ran years ago.  Most were painted white, and without the stop signs and warning lights.  With Southland receiving the ST contract this year, it's likely that these units will remain white, and my guess is they are to be used on the Strathcona Tweedsmuir routes with the other two as well as the several similar units that Southland is operating in the fleet.  We will have to wait and see what happens with these units.

45 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

A good example of this is the Strathcona Tweedsmuir school buses that First ran years ago.  Most were painted white, and without the stop signs and warning lights.  With Southland receiving the ST contract this year, it's likely that these units will remain white, and my guess is they are to be used on the Strathcona Tweedsmuir routes with the other two as well as the several similar units that Southland is operating in the fleet.  We will have to wait and see what happens with these units.

I was not aware that Southland picked up the Strathcona Tweedsmuir routes this year. Knowing that now, I wouldn't be surprised if 2584 simply stays in its current colors, given the past use of white and black units for those routes by First. 

4 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

Heres the thing, in the City of Calgary there is a bylaw restricting use of red flashing lights and stop signs in certain areas.  In the past, I've seen many types of buses without said equipment operating school runs in the city (or buses with equipment such as stop signs, in different places than they would normally be located on a Canadian spec'd bus.)  See the first page of the document at the following link: HERE.

Don't know about that, on their pre-trip checklist its something that needs to be marked down and checked every morning, stop sign and warning light usage that is. I'm not sure its even legal to have them run as a school bus without the lights and stop sign, even if the City prohibits their use

5 hours ago, Blake M said:

Don't know about that, on their pre-trip checklist its something that needs to be marked down and checked every morning, stop sign and warning light usage that is. I'm not sure its even legal to have them run as a school bus without the lights and stop sign, even if the City prohibits their use

I have seen some cases of those 3800 series ICs (which have the warning lights covered/disabled and stop signs removed) on school runs in the past.  I don't think it's illegal, rather they try not to do it if a bus with said equipment is avaliable.  Of course, if the bus does stops in the rural areas then the bus would have to have the warning lights and stop signs.

• 2 weeks later...